TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM - 2006 Fright Fest

Having been to SFMM's FRight Fest last year. I must say it was PATHETIC. I was so glad we had front of the line privelages thanks to my friend knowing one of the sups that took us around from maze to maze. The only cool part was the end of Carnage E. Hall and the end of Jokester's Hideout.

Every maze just looked cheap, like the local Jaycee's haunted house. Even CP's mazes are better done, and they're still pretty lame.

Knott's was the awesome however. It was my first trip there for Haunt, and it rocked. I'm hoping that HHN at Universal Hollywood will be as good as USF since it doesn't look like I'm going to make it to Orlando this year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

disagree with Raptor.

Having had never expereinced halloween before, being to fright fest in SFMM last year ruled beyond beleif. Although I have been to SFGADv the previous weekend, which was also a freight fest weekend, I didnt get to do anything spooky themed there, whereas at SFMM I made it a point to get fright passes. SMART MOVE, the lines were hideous!

Well, first of all, I must say, my favorutie fright experience overall was Blood falls. It's basically one of the log flumes transformed iinto a horror ride. I rode alone, so that magnified the expereience.(I didn't think much of it at the time, but pretty much everyone i spoke to went "YOU RODE ALONE?!?!"). The ride basically had a horror movie theming, like a serial killer has gone loose on a summer camp and youre his next victim. the ride was SWEET! there was this one part that as the log barreled down the track it truly gave that "panicked-running-through-the-woods" feel.

Another fun thing about fright night was not even a ride! Basically, you could just go to any foggy area, scream your lungs out, everyone would get freaked out, and youd jsut walk out of the fog as innocent as daylight.

At some point I teamed up with a gropup of 4 other kids and we were wlaking around the park. we were walking past the loooong line for "The asylum", and I just hew out "Can you imagine how freaked out all these people iwll be if we all screamed at once?", and ot my surprise, one of the girls said "let's find out!" so we counted down from 5, and at 0 our entire group gave it a good scream, the entire line jumped back a little.it was hysterical.

at some point we lost one of the group members because a staff member scared the living heck out of her and she ran to the other side fo the park.(However, on her defense, "Fidget lady" was pretty scary...)

I was also to a bunch of mazes, such as the asylum, the clown house, and the "something planet". the latter was rather disappointing. the entire experience was severely damaged by the omnipresent staff members waiting to assist anyone in panic, and the lit up "exit" signs every two feet.

the asylum was very disorienting. it best fit the defintion of a "maze". it was very much fun, though don't go there if you tend to get seizures. that place is not eplillepsy-friendly.

The clown house was the best. it totally showed what a nightmare would look like come to life. the ride's effects are best experience if you are at the front of the row walking into the house.

Colossus had oone side turned backwards that day, and I must say - OW! OW OW OW OW! That thing hurt like a maniac! I remember being disappointed because the ride used to be soslow, but now the train was bouncing around os much I was all "OH sh*t! Here comes another fast part!". I was also disappointed that even though both trains were running, they weren't dueled.

But despite that, SFMM freight fest was spectacular, and I cant wait to expereince something of the sort again! not that I will, seeing as halloween happens during the schoolyear here.

Last year I was the first zombie well the first thing you see in the maze. I tried grunting as loud as I can so I get the people in line to scared. I they only got scared ounce or twice but they tend to just look towards the maze. What I also did is that if there wasnt a chance to scare or didnt scare someone I would rush to the next spot after the last person in passed by so I can try to get the last scare in and make it worth there money

I may have been a bit harsh. I still had fun at it, but much of that was because I didn't have to wait for the mazes. Had I waited an hour for Brutal Planet, I would have been peeved.

It's still a fun event, but in comparison to other parks' halloween events, it's lacking.

Next maze up -

Jokester's Hideout:

This maze is located in Six Flags Plaza next to the condemed Flashback.

This maze, taken over by a large group of clowns, is a don't miss. You enter the maze, and hear a speil reminding guests to not touch any of the clowns, and they won't touch you either. (Interesting, because this is the only maze that reminds people to keep thier hands to themselves.)

You navigate through many different scenes including a hallway of doors, a rotating tunnel, a manaquin room and more. Similar to Carnage E. Hall, the most climax of the maze is the "final scare", leaving guests to run out of the maze in fear.

Usual wait time is 30 minutes to 1:15.

I'm glad to see all of the discussion, both positive feedback and constructive criticism. It goes to show, that all of the hard work put in by many people is being enjoyed by our guests, as well as putting it in perspective that not everyone has the same reaction to certain fright elements, and there is always room for a bigger scare.

Thank you to all who contribute, as well as to those who come back on a reg. basis for new updates/descriptions.

If there is any other topic you'd like to discuss don't hesitate to ask.

For now, the next few installments will focus on all non-maze entertainment for Fright Fest. (there is a lot of it.)

I know someone said that they are adding another fright zone under revolutions lift and i was wondering if anyone knew how many ghouls they would have. I know the main area is gotham city with about 10 ghouls and only about 3 near flashback. Hopefully they can take advantage of the darkness and setting and really make this a scary spot.

Alright, lets start on some of the fright fest shows.

Trick or Treat Scary Storytelling Bird Show:

Located at the Carrot Club Theater in Bugs Bunny World. Same as the regular "Just Wingin' It" bird show, with a slight revision in the script, slightly different bird tricks, and gussied up stage for Halloween. 3 or 4 shows between 12:00 and 5:00pm.

High Sierra Hypnotist:

In Golden Bear Theater in High Sierra Territory. Two shows during the later hours, show times are I believe 6:30 and 8:00 pm.

Hypnotist Show, taking anywhere from 10 to 20 audience members up on stage. Very entertaining, lasts 1 hour.

Globe of Death

Located in The Movie District, in Riddler's Revenge Plaza

Multiple motorcycles inside a steel shpere. Multiple shows between the hours of 4:00 and 8:00.

Cuerpo No

Located in Gotham City Backlot, near the queue line for Atom Smasher.

Heartless "Comic"

Corny Jokes, several times in the later hours 7:00pm to 9:00pm

The rest to come at a later time.

Oh no! I love "Blood Falls!" Say it ain't so Joe. Say it ain't so.

Fright fest is fun! I always enjoy going to this event. I hope because of the budget cuts, it doesn't suffer too much.

Mabey next year they can do it as an upcharge thing and actually sink a bit of extra money into it. Close the park at 5pm, scare the park up for a couple of hours, then re-open at 7pm. They could do a cool little Bugs Bunny Beheadding as the main gate show. They could then stock the plaza with street actors ready to scare everybody as they make a mad dash into the park. They could have an upcharge BBQ in the picknic area with early entrance to the BBQ goers. If they planned well, they could realy make this a cool event for the kids that don't have the means to get to Knott's or USH.

It could also be a great way to add more profit to the park during the waning days of their seasons.

Blood Falls was the only thing that really scared me last year (the guy that swung out on the rope, I guess near Laughing Dragon/Tatsu, kicked ass), and Globe of Death was cool. Plus the fog, which they really need to turn back on in Batman's station (I just noticed that for the first time last week).

-Amanda "just a few thoughts, sorry for the interruption" V.

I say it is absoulutly worth the wait, especially for:

Willoughby's Mansion

Carnage E. Hall

and Jokester's Hideout.

It is only there for a short time, where as the rides are (if they are working) always there to enjoy. Experience it when you can.

Blood Falls was the only thing that really scared me last year (the guy that swung out on the rope, I guess near Laughing Dragon/Tatsu, kicked ass), and Globe of Death was cool. Plus the fog, which they really need to turn back on in Batman's station (I just noticed that for the first time last week).

Haha that's the same stuff I did at Fright Fest. I went back in 2003 for my birthday, and we did Blood Falls, watched the Globe of Death, and went in a couple of the scare zones. We got in line for Blood Falls before it opened, so we waited awhile for that, but once it opened the line was only around 20ish minutes if I remember correctly. The ride was obviously the same as when it's Log Jammer, but there's fog all around and a few people jumped out. The only part I didn't like was getting wet on the drop....but hey, it's a water ride! I'm sorry they're not doing this attraction this year.

Alright, lets finish up w/ the Fright Fest entertainment.

Roadkill Kitchen:

Located in Colossus County Fair, outside of Magic Moments Theater/Carnage E. Hall.

(Was previously stationed outside of Willoughby's Mansion on Samurai Summit.)

Ghoulia Child, and her "road side-kick" Rigamortis (yes, that's how they spell it) star in their 666th episode of the wonderful TV show, "The Galloping Ghoulmet". This mock cooking show brings in a nice crowd, while also entertaining the guests in line for the Carnage E. Hall maze. The show runs 6 to 8 times between 4 pm and 8:30pm. Learn how to cook Oodles of Poodles, Flat cat in a stack, Dachsund Dogs, and other delacacies. Be cautioned of the "blood zone".

High Sierra Crafts:

Located in Bugs Bunny World between the tall oak tree and Totally Toddler.

Arts and crafts area for children of all ages from 12pm to 5 pm.

Shows not returning:

Mad Chad the Chain Saw Juggler

This show will not be returning this season. Normally the Warner Brother's Kids Club Show goes dark for the entire month of October, so that Mad Chad could perform in the Looney Tunes Pavilion in Six Flags Plaza near Valencia Falls.

On Fright Fest Days, The Batman Begins Stunt show will run twice on Fridays and Sundays, and thrice on Saturdays.

Next time we will discuss how to maximize your maze/show experiences for you season pass holders, as well as for you out there who may make a special trip down to the mountain just for this years Fright Fest.

Next time we will discuss how to maximize your maze/show experiences for you season pass holders, as well as for you out there who may make a special trip down to the mountain just for this years Fright Fest.

I will be going to SFMM during FF this year so any tips would be great. Thanks wrs28330!!!