TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyline Park

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not got any clue how this is going to work after seeing that s-bend and all the tight turns, it's just looking so bizarre now!

The only way that I'm able to make any sense of this ride is that it's some sort of powered coaster. Maybe not in the traditional way, but maybe with some "powered sections"?? Shall be interesting to se for sure!

Didn't Maurer advertise that you can control the speed and acceleration yourself in their new motorbike-esque cars? That makes me think it'll be somehow powered, especially if this'll have those motorbike trains/cars. But like all of us I can't get my head around the layout either... I guess only time will tell.

I'm also curious to know what's the difference between Maurer AG and Maurer Rides?

• 3 weeks later...

^ that is right! It will be a kind of self controllable powered motorbike coaster with fast acceleration (up to 1.2gs) and can reach a top speed of 60 km/h (ca.38 miles per hour). It has a new developed system which controlles speeds via gears and a gear rack on the rails. The gear rack is designed to has low attrition and to be easy replaceable.

And the system is even usable as transport system for factories. If you want to see the prototyp of the factory version take a look into this PDF from the manufacturer... It will help to understand how this will work (trains on page 1, gear rack on rails on page 2):

www.hebezeuge-foerdermittel.de/sites/dev.hebezeuge-foerdermittel.de/files/HF0415_Foerdersystem-fuer-schwere-Lasten_web_0.pdf

• 1 month later...
I've figured out how it could work!

(please note: sarcasm. This thing is ridiculous enough as it is! )

Actually, I think you kinda have the right idea, albeit backwards. The station's probably in the right area, but the launch and brake runs are probably switched, and travels in the opposite direction. My line of thinking is based on the really tight turn at the bottom of the "tornado helix" as I'll call it for now, and that the ride will accelerate as it spirals up the hill and then brakes going down the straight drop into the S-bend. Without having access to the schematics, either of us could be right, though.

^Well I understand you somewhat, isn't it more logical to go from high to low instead of low to high? That s bend really messes with my brain, are they sure it's on the right place?

Yeah but this is a strange accelerating-decelerating new prototype coaster, anything is possible

• 1 month later...

Sky Dragster now has a new opening date, it's the beginning of the new season in 2017. Test runs are announced for the next weeks though.

There are also some new renderings showing the bikes, the cockpit and the station. Most interesting the information about the top speed: Sky Dragster may reach 60 km/h (37 mp/h)!

Source

There was another interesting bit in the interview:

The Maurer chairman was hinting that they plan to build the worlds tallest rollercoaster in the near future, and further that it might still take a few years becoming reality but that they are currently working on designs. This matches with earlier statements by Skyline Park owner Joachim Löwenthal, who was also hinting at this project. Seems like it is still on track and becoming more and more realistic. I'm really curious what this is gonna look like.

Edit: Oh and the park released a full video of the rendering on its YouTube page:

It's a very interesting coaster to say the least. I really wonder if they're planning on adding more than one car or at least a full train though, because i can only assume the capacity would be very bad even if it is a short coaster. Really hope the worlds tallest coaster that they talked about happens as well, it seems like it's much further than just an idea at this point.

Theres a website setup for this type of coaster which has been called the Spike. The system is being marketed for a few other uses such as people movement. Its a really interesting read.

http://www.spike.de/en/

Theres also a dueling version of the Skyline Park ride

Love the little test layout they set up at the University of Stuttgart as well.

IMO duelling is what this new coaster type is supposed to do. Motorbike-like cars with rider controlling the speed, it only makes sense to build a duelling layout! It also helps with capacity, and as the track cross-section is simple and layout keeps low to the ground, it shouldn't be that more costly to build two tracks. Although it could also be that other expenses than the track is what bring the price up, in this case all the hardware that makes the cars run forward (gears and electric stuff).

It will be very interesting to finally see Sky Dragster run, I can't wait! The test version was interesting to see as well, thank you for the picture!

• 2 weeks later...