TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I survived tropical storm Ernesto!

BarryH

Well, tropical storm Ernesto blew through SW Florida. We were expecting winds of up to around 25 mph and heavy rain, but it turned out to be nothing more than a small summer shower. Bah humbug! I fart in its general direction!

Now Enresto is headed over the Atlantic and will gain strength. People up north, get prepared!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the worst storm ever to hit south florida.

Such an incredible let down.

I was hoping for a show but all I got was a little rain.

I hate to wish ill will on anyone, but for comments like that, I hope your home is the first to go when a "show" does arrive one day. Have you, and others not watched any coverage of disastrous storms in the past? And did you not live through Wilma last year? I know for certain that my Mom lived without power and fresh water for a week or so after that one. That's just a power outage, but enough to mess up your life for a while. Do you people not quite grasp what it'd be like to literally lose everything you own? Wow. Sorry for the rant, but stuff like this still amazes me.

This was the worst storm ever to hit south florida.

Such an incredible let down.

I was hoping for a show but all I got was a little rain.

I hate to wish ill will on anyone, but for comments like that, I hope your home is the first to go when a "show" does arrive one day. Have you, and others not watched any coverage of disastrous storms in the past? And did you not live through Wilma last year? I know for certain that my Mom lived without power and fresh water for a week or so after that one. That's just a power outage, but enough to mess up your life for a while. Do you people not quite grasp what it'd be like to literally lose everything you own? Wow. Sorry for the rant, but stuff like this still amazes me.

What I hate is when people get annoyed when I say that I like storms.

I lost power for TWO weeks last year after Hurricane Wilma, I lost three trees, my room was flooded, I lost a lot of carpet in my house, I had to get a new roof, and the car got a bit scratched up. I know what it's like to have a major storm. And I look forward to hurricane season every year.

I LOVE hurricanes. Ernesto was such a let down.

I'm not saying I want powerful winds and lots of damage, I just want a lot of rain, dark clouds, lots of thunder and some loud gusts of wind.

It's my favorite type of weather.

And Ernesto wasn't even exciting. At least I had a day with no sun, but that's all.

The least it could have done was rainied for the last 24 hours, but all I got was about 5 minutes.

I called my mom today to see how the so called 'storm' was...she was out shopping!

I love Floridians! So resiliant!

That's what sexy moms do.

Heck, when Wilma passed over Orlando, I rode it out in a skanky Days Inn. I ate at IHOP in the morning and then visited Sea World at noon!

Well, we're gettin' it a wee bit worse than you lucky Floridians up here in Virginia--high wind advisory (what it's high on I couldn't say), flash flood watch (look out for naked water), tornado watch, fire and brimstone, dogs and cats living together . . .

It is shaping up to be a pretty nasty Labor Day Weekend in the 'Burg.

Well, we're gettin' it a wee bit worse than you lucky Floridians up here in Virginia--high wind advisory (what it's high on I couldn't say), flash flood watch (look out for naked water), tornado watch, fire and brimstone, dogs and cats living together . . .

MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!!!

I love that movie

yea, CSX shut down the railroad and Amtrak cancelled like all long haul trains on the east coast so looks like I have the weekend off

JEFF

^ It seems like CSX worries about every type of weather! Speed restrictions on the Boston and Albany line(Worcester/Framingham for you non-railfan Bostonians) due to heat were brutal for the passengers on the MBTA/MBCR and Amtrak trains, especially for ones in cars lacking working HVAC. And now, a tropical storm? Oh come on! New England blizzards are worse.

Back on topic, Ernesto has put a damper on my weekend plans. At least it won't be as bad as what some of you had to put up with. If Ernesto were still a tropical storm, I bet half the people up here would be panicking and raiding hardware stores for plywood.

Well, Ernesto has come and gone, but not without causing his share of trouble in Hampton Roads. Williamsburg experienced about 8.25 inches of rain and howling winds, and there are still some people without power (mine was out from from about 9:00 am until 3:00 pm on Friday, so I was lucky). Things are pretty much back to normal here, but they took a worse hit in Virginia Beach (just in time for the outdoor American Music Festival, which was washed out yesterday, but is scheduled to start up again tonight), Norfolk, and other coastal cities.

I imagine BGE has some rather soggy Howl-o-Scream decorations to wring out--this storm was a bit more than anyone expected. Not an Isabel, of course, but it did remind me a bit of Hurricane Floyd (which blew through here five or six years ago).

Chuck

as mediocre as this storm was, I do have a bit of a "danger" story:

So, it was about 8PM friday as Ernesto rolled in & over my good town of funchester. I live in the suburbs, and our neighboors have a cute little wooden flagpole, complete with a shed in the back, same as my house.

At around 9 that night I heard a rather large that came from my backyard. As it turns out, the wind from Ernesto -puny as it was- snapped my neighboors flagpole. And by the grace of God, the flag snagged under the part where it broke off, and it got picked up by the wind, sort of like a kite. It didnt really fly very far, but it ended up skewering the shed in my backyard! I didnt think to take pictures, simply because I was left there thinking "there is no WAY that shouldave happened...." but it did, and now the shed in my backyard has a puncture wound from Ernesto.

what are the odds....

-Tex