TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Man Dies At Tokyo's Joypolis Amusement Park

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=1&id=334632

Man dies after falling from sky diving ride at Daiba amusement park

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 at 07:24 JST

TOKYO — A wheelchair-bound man died Monday in an accidental fall from a ride simulating a sky dive at an indoor amusement park in Tokyo's Daiba waterfront. Junichi Tsubouchi, of Uchinada in Ishikawa Prefecture, fell about 5 meters from the ride, called "VIVA! SKYDIVING," at the JOYPOLIS amusement park at around 1 p.m., the police said.

Tsubouchi had been on a visit to Tokyo since Sunday along with two care workers. The police are questioning staff who worked at the attraction on suspicion of professional negligence resulting in death because they were aware that Tsubouchi was taking the ride without wearing a safety belt. The man could not tighten the safety belt because he was too big but he agreed to take the ride anyway, the staff were quoted as saying. (Kyodo News)

Now I'm kind of glad we took the time out to ride that bizarro "Frog Hopper" Sky Diving thingy.....

--Robb "I would have assumed that Speed Boarder would be the death trap!" Alvey :shock:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!! I wonder if this could close the park, seeing as the Japanese really do not tolerate stuff like this well.

Wow...that's sad, but how could they let him ride without the restraint!?? This is almost sounding similar to the PGA Drop Zone accident, where maybe the man freaked out a bit and fell.

The ride is not that tall, and for the man to die, he must not have had much control over his body.

Elissa "wow, that sucks" Alvey

that would suck. Japan seem to be having alot of accidents. remeber not so long ago, the wheels flew of from Steel Dragon and hit someone in the head and kill someone else. (I think)

But maybe it is just careless ness from the operators, but they knew the restraint wasnt on right.

that would suck. Japan seem to be having alot of accidents. remeber not so long ago, the wheels flew of from Steel Dragon and hit someone in the head and kill someone else. (I think)

But maybe it is just careless ness from the operators, but they knew the restraint wasnt on right.

It didn't kill someone, but there were major injuries.

BUT, for the most part, people "remember" coaster accidents as "someone died" which is another reason why I think that Steel Dragon has remained closed.

Regardless if someone died or not, it seems that the Japanese take ANY accident very seriously and even more so that your little RCT peeps that say "I Won't Ride Coaster1, It Is Not Safe."

--Robb "It's a real bummer because Joypolis was SOOOO cool!!!" Alvey

Well, where Steel Dragon's concerned, the one big mistake Nagashima Spa Land made was actually thinking that an American firm (DH Morgan) could actually make a reliable giga coaster.

Doug "I know about Intamin's coaster accidents from a while back, but that's beside the point." Booth

It's not the fat person's responsibility. When a person walks onto a ride, the park takes responsibility for the rider. It's the park's duty to decide whether or not a person is too fat to go on the ride.

How would a fat person at a park know if they're too big for the ride? Do fat people have ESP or something? C'mon now...

^Edit: I forgot this thread is about a disabled guy. I thought you were talking about all the fat people that have flown out of Intamins. Still, the moment a park denies a disabled person access to a ride, one phone call, and the ACLU will be running to jump in.

-kip-

It *IS* the park's responsibilty. It's Knott's fault for letting that huge woman on PP, it's SFNE's fault for letting that guy on SROS, same with SFDL, and with that kid that fell out of PGA's Drop Zone, etc, etc.... NONE of those people should have been let on the ride per the manufacturer's safety guidelines.

Personally, I don't blame Intamin at ALL. I know that they have certain safety standards in the manuals for all their rides. When a park chooses to NOT enforce them, technically it's not the manufacturer's fault.

Of course, the finger is often pointed at the manufacturer saying there should have been something in place to guarentee that wouldn't happen in the case where a lazy ride op DID allow someone on that shouldn't be on the ride. But IMO, it shouldn't be Intamin, or B&M, or ANY ride manufacturer to have to police the policies of individual parks.

I'd much rather be stapled on XLR8R than have to deal with what modifications would be made if someone fell out.

--Robb

Relax rob, I was just joking around anyway. Of course it's not Intiman's fault. If you're gonna go on a coaster like that and you weigh like 400 lbs and your belly is larger than the seat, you're setting yourself up.

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard about the SFDL incident, and I was one of the first to know since that park's so close to me.

Relax rob, I was just joking around anyway. Of course it's not Intiman's fault. If you're gonna go on a coaster like that and you weigh like 400 lbs and your belly is larger than the seat, you're setting yourself up.

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard about the SFDL incident, and I was one of the first to know since that park's so close to me.

I totally agree. I mean, I sometimes can't believe the people who try to get on rides. Personally, it kind of disgusts me. But then again a lot of the things I see at parks disgust me. Like watching parents who go measure their kids at the front, see that they are too small, make them wait in a long line away, then throw a fit on the platform when the ops say the kid is too short. I just don't get it.

--Robb "Sorry, didn't mean to come off upset...." Alvey

Oh, god I know. The nerve of some parents. The way they think sometimes in those situations is just mind boggling. And they're not much better at the grocery store either, let me tell you, being a cashier and all.

Doug "And they're setting such a wonderful example for the kids too... " Booth

The ride operators of today are getting lazier and lazier. If the ride operaters keep this up, the world will transform into what Knotts has become. The ride operators should get fired and the problem solved because ride operators always seem to get lazy around the Intamin rides.

Knotts Perilous Plunge was ruined from the lazy ride operaters making the drop not intense and so that skinny people can't ride.

Kevin"Stupid Ride Operators"Bujold

Ok...I've been staring at this picture for awhile now...and trying to jog my memory and I think I figured it out...

There is a seatbelt...but much like Soarin, it was optional!

I'm remembering that we were loading when I took that picture, the boys pulled down their restraints (just to pose for the camera), then went to put them back up to put on the seatbelt but the ride op told us we didn't need it.

You can kind of see the belt and plug in the picture if you stare at it long enough.

Very interesting.

Elissa "my eyes hurt now!" Alvey

I've been on this ride too - seem to remember being pretty glad when it was over though - really didn't trust it (assumed it was safe, I just wasn't too happy with it).

Big frog-hopper is a good description, projecting cloud-scenes onto the wall in front of you and the floor below - you are held sort of facedown though (unlike a frog-hooper).

OMG I was on this ride about 2 weeks ago! I have to say my partner and I thought it sucked big time, and I can't quite understand how someone could have 'accidentally' fallen out. It's very sad, but hopefully now they might replace it with something better (and safer!) :shock:

It's not the fat person's responsibility. When a person walks onto a ride, the park takes responsibility for the rider. It's the park's duty to decide whether or not a person is too fat to go on the ride.

How would a fat person at a park know if they're too big for the ride? Do fat people have ESP or something? C'mon now...

-kip-

I know this post is a bit old but i have a comment.

I am a big guy, not as big as some, but pretty big for loving roller coasters.

I was able to fit in SMROS @ SFA perfectly fine before they redid the restraints. Now i can't fit in them, all because a "handicapped" guy was not in the seat right and fell out.

Some times i can get away by putting the seatbelt under that one bar and snapping it in place, i fit just fine and don't fall out, but if i get cough i can't ride, that time....

Josh "However, i finally found something that will motivate me to loose weight." Gould