Expedition Everest

El Toro

Goliath Six Flags Over Georgia

Kentucky Rumbler

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Balder isn't on that list, and that The Beast still is, and how Magnum XL-200 is above Expedition GeForce, and how the "best shows" award is given to a Six Flags park and not Disney, makes me realize more and more how "commercial" that poll really is. Either that or the ballots are given out to people who don't travel very much anymore.

It's a shame that so many industry folk put so much more weight into the AT poll and less into Mitch Hawker's Coaster Polls. If Mitch had the time, I'd love to see him produce a poll with the same information at AT's and see what the differences would be.

But hey, if we were running an industry mag as a busniess which thrives on industry ads I'd probably sway the votes the same way too. So more power to them!

It's the same for the video game biz, so I see no reason why it should be any different from theme parks also.

Again, these are my opinions on both the poll and the results, but I guess I really can't complain....at least until we do our own TPR Awars!

--Robb "We should really get that going...." Alvey

HA!

I'm sorry, but this is pretty bad. If anything they should call this an America Only Poll since they don't seem to care about the International Parks at all. They are so misrepresented, that I'm really put off.

More power to Mitch and some of the other polls out there!

This totally makes me want to do TPR Awards!

Yeah I really don't see how Magnum is #3 still. I wouldn't even consider it in my top 5 and I haven't been on many coasters!

I completely agree. I havent been on many coasters at all and Magnum is not in my top 10. Sure it has great airtime and is an all-around fun ride, but its not #3 in the world, not even close.

How do they vote on this stuff? Because some of it is just bad, like having magnum xl there, no blader on the list and having expedition g-force so low and other things.

I really dont take the golden ticket awards serious i think they are bogus.

I do like the idea of the TPR rewards though

I think you would find that afew members of this very board votes for these awards, but as Robb has said that this is only a poll of people's views and really should be treated as that. There is really no need to complain why Voyage was only second or why the Beast was so high. I am guessing (such as me) that not alot of people have made the trek to ride Balder to include it on their Ballots.

It is just a poll folks.

As I've said before "NOBODY'S OPINIONS ARE WRONG!"

This is more than just "a poll of people's views" in the sense that this poll is used for more than just that. This is the most major "Industry Poll" that parks will using as a marketing tool to their customers and personally I find the results to be WAY OFF! The results feel more like a cross between "What will make for the best relationship for the magazine and the parks they like the most" and "a bunch of old-school ACErs voting on coasters they loved from the late 1980s/early 1990s that haven't traveled much since then."

These are just my personal opinions but....

The Voyage being "best new ride?" I can see why it might make "best new coaster" but IMO at least, Expedition Everest is BY FAR a better overall "ride" experience.

And as much as I love the food at Knoebel's, and totally think they are the best in their class, I just don't see how even the best pizza and deep fried food continues to get the award over the 4-star resort offerings that Epcot has.

Mitch Hawker's poll is one that is a "poll of people's views" as he doesn't make money off his site and it's original intent was not to be used as a marketing tool for parks, but as a TRUE poll of people's opinions.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but really I should put this energy into creating a poll that could also be used for park's marketing benefits, but doesn't just cater to the ones who either spend money on ads, or are parks we just want to have a good relationship with.

--Robb "You can have a GREAT relationship with a park without giving them awards." Alvey

Well, only one ride outside the US was in either the Top 10 Wood Coasters or Top 10 Steel Coasters list, Expedition GeForce. That shows me that this poll has some pretty significant bias towards US rides, particularly with rides at Cedar Point and Six Flags parks, which took 6 of the 10 spots on the steel poll (name recognition, anyone?). And the top B&M ride in the steel poll was at #4; three B&M hypers and one invert made it, but I was surprised SheiKra wasn't there. Fortunately, at least Voyage and Hades showed up on the wood list.

I'd have liked to see Balder, SheiKra, Speed, and Black Mamba show up in the lists; while I haven't been able to visit their parks, those rides look really impressive.

Maybe the reason why Balder is where it is might be because the voters that do vote have not rode it. I know I am not going to vote for something I have not been on.

That should be the whole point of the poll! They should have BETTER VOTERS!!!

It is only a poll for christ sakes. There is no need to have a heart attack over it. The sun will come up in the morning.

It's not just a 'poll' it's an industry marketing tool. When are you going to see that significance?

And I just noticed...how can Tokyo DisneySea NOT be on the list?!!?! Oh, I know it's because they send the poll out to people who have only been on Magnum XL-200 and The Beast.

--Robb "I think it's time TPR gives good old AT a run for their Golden Ticket awards!" Alvey

Hmm... as Robb and Elissa both stated earlier, TPR Awards would be a great addition to the site...

Unfortunately, any vote I submitted wouldn't be too fair, seeing as I haven't experienced enough to judge coasters very well...