TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lift-hill coasters versus launched coasters

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I do love launches but you can only do so much with a launch. You can do anything with the drop after the lift.

You couldn't do TTD's drop... Both have their limits and uses. Apples and Oranges, eh?

You think that a 420 ft. lifthill into a vertical drop with a 270 degree twist is impossible? I have to very much disagree with that.

It's possible... but stupid. The chain would be some disgusting weight unless it was a cable lift-hill, and in either case it would require a hell of a lot of land, unless the lift-hill was vertical... which wouldn't be fun to evacuate at 400ft.

Coasters with lift-hills aren't going to die, but I think the possibility of the tallest and fastest rollercoaster ever having a lift hill again is not likely at all.

- Maliboomer

Nothing beats the anticipation of going up the lift hill, but waiting for a coaster to launch is really fun too and eventhough they have simple layputs, launched coaster are really fun. I love launching coasters, but I agree when you guys say that they are down way too much.

You think that a 420 ft. lifthill into a vertical drop with a 270 degree twist is impossible? I have to very much disagree with that.

It's possible... but stupid. The chain would be some disgusting weight unless it was a cable lift-hill, and in either case it would require a hell of a lot of land, unless the lift-hill was vertical... which wouldn't be fun to evacuate at 400ft.

Coasters with lift-hills aren't going to die, but I think the possibility of the tallest and fastest rollercoaster ever having a lift hill again is not likely at all.

- Maliboomer

Never said it was practical. But truthfully, does anybody ever think we'll see a 400+ ft. lift in out lifetime? A 400 ft. drop using terrain could happen but I mean the lift itself.

Yes. Very yes. I'm sure that lots of people in the business know it is possible, but will cost huge money. If some very rich investment group in China or somewhere else has the money, I think they'd build it. The neighbors can complain all they want in China, but it would still be built.

So I'm thinking yes, in my lifetime, since skyscrapers exist in this world.

IN all reailty, I could go either way on this one. For me, nothing is quite as thrilling as a long, steady, slow, clanking climb up a lift hill, with the smell of coastergrease and ratchets clanking in the background. That for me is one great pleasure of riding on a nice conventional rollercoaster.

But then again, I also love the instant gratification of a launch coaster such as the Premier bowl coasters- getting shot at light speed out of a cannon into convoluted PozG heaven- that's also quite a rush. And who could ever deny a ride like Volcano:TBC being anything other that sheer terror getting blasted into darkness twice then thrown upside down at high speed and high elevation? Unless miracles come in the form of a catapult lift hill, then we're going to have the two (Or mabye three) types of acceleration systems.

Then there's the third option: California Screamin. While LIM powered, the lifts are both steep, long and (although the first lift is a bit fast) give the feeling of being both conventional and LIM at the same time. Perhaps designers will take this as a bit of a hint for future rides.