TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Baseball Cards! You Collect Em?

Ryan King

Ok...So thought it was time for the boards to have a topic of something different. I collect baseball cards on ocassion, mostly Game-Used cards. But for those of you that dont know what those are, they are a new baseball card where they put pieces of player's jerseys on the cards.

So i thought it might be kinda fun to post your new or old cards. May it be Mickey Mantle...Or David Ortiz...So Lets see em!

-Ryan

RuthResized.jpg.f969858bc7154666bcec673f37be5a8f.jpg

Babe Ruth / Lou Gehrig Dual Jersey Card. This Card Has Pieces of Jersey Cut from Both Home Jerseys From Lou And Ruth

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Already posted this in another thread (and it probably gave you the idea for this thread), but it seems to belong here.

In this photo:

61 Maris

69 Mantle (With White Letter Error)

Card signed by Joe Nuxall

2 Photos of me in the Steelers Locker Room

2 Major League Game Balls signed by:

- John Franco

- Joe Nuxall

- Tom Browning

- Eric Davis

- Reggie Sanders

- and some more Reds

1 Pony League World Series Game Ball (Kindly donated by Rick M.)

Not in this photo, but highlights of my collection.

1963 Pete Rose Topps

1965 Tony Perez Topps

1968 Johnny Bench Topps

// not a Reds fan or anything ... am I?

Cards below 1980 are only worth "SOME" money, yet cards above 1970 are the good stuff? Fresno logic at its best.

I've actually found that rookie cards from the 1970's-1980's are actually WAY less valuable than current day rookies. Which strikes me as odd, considering all the greats that were rookies during that time. When card companies starting going the way of a bunch of short print/limited edition cards, the beckett/resell value of cards took off. Just as an example, I paid more for a signed Joe Mauer Bowmans Best rookie (and some Pujols cards, and some David Wright cards...) card than I did for a George Brett rookie card that would probably grade as a 7 or an 8 (which is good for a card that old).

Just check ebay and search for rookie cards of David Wright, Joe Mauer, Fransisco Liriano, Jered Weaver, Albert Pujols, and other young guys with assloads of potential/talent that could translate into a HOF career/putting up big numbers so far in their young careers. Then compare that to a search for Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, George Brett, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, and other greats that got their start in the 70's and 80's. It's ridiculous!

Personally, I think that is what is wrong with the trading card industry. Just like anything else, it was fun, then adults had to come take it over and make it a business. Now there are some packs that go for as much as $250 (for like 3 cards!) targeted solely at collectors! There's really nothing besides super crappy basic sets that are reasonably priced any more, which takes a lot of the fun out of collecting. I know I don't buy nearly as many baseball cards as I used to for that reason...

/end dorky baseball card rant.

Cards below 1980 are only worth "SOME" money, yet cards above 1970 are the good stuff? Fresno logic at its best.

I've actually found that rookie cards from the 1970's-1980's are actually WAY less valuable than current day rookies. Which strikes me as odd, considering all the greats that were rookies during that time. When card companies starting going the way of a bunch of short print/limited edition cards, the beckett/resell value of cards took off. Just as an example, I paid more for a signed Joe Mauer Bowmans Best rookie (and some Pujols cards, and some David Wright cards...) card than I did for a George Brett rookie card that would probably grade as a 7 or an 8 (which is good for a card that old).

Just check ebay and search for rookie cards of David Wright, Joe Mauer, Fransisco Liriano, Jered Weaver, Albert Pujols, and other young guys with assloads of potential/talent that could translate into a HOF career/putting up big numbers so far in their young careers. Then compare that to a search for Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, George Brett, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, and other greats that got their start in the 70's and 80's. It's ridiculous!

Personally, I think that is what is wrong with the trading card industry. Just like anything else, it was fun, then adults had to come take it over and make it a business. Now there are some packs that go for as much as $250 (for like 3 cards!) targeted solely at collectors! There's really nothing besides super crappy basic sets that are reasonably priced any more, which takes a lot of the fun out of collecting. I know I don't buy nearly as many baseball cards as I used to for that reason...

/end dorky baseball card rant.

Allow me to add to that...one reason is that Topps Made SOOO many prints of all those rookies! Hundreds Upon Hundreds! Yea, they still do, but not as many anymore. More like you said shortprints, low numbered rookies, autographed rookies etc

Hmmm, I guess if that Larry Bowa is mint, you've got a deal.

My offering card would of been worth much more, except I was traded prior to the '86 season for a kilo of coke and some jerri curl activator. They had to make sure Doc Gooden was well taken care of.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to see if there are any collectors out there. Lately I can't stop buying those young prospect cards I ranted about---because there's money to be made off them! So now I will buy a prospect card, sell it, then use the money to buy a HOF rookie card.

Picked up a Drysdale rookie that way. Working on getting a Koufax one now.

Joey - I tried a similar strategy in the early 90's but the players I targeted (examples: Ruben Sierra, Lance Johnson) never quite achieved HoF status.

I used to collect a lot in the 70's and 80's, but got out of it when more companies entered the market and player strikes kept happening. I have full Topps sets from 73 - 90 and the first 2 years of Upper Deck.

At one time my goal was to buy at least one card of every HoFer, but never quite got there. Still have a ton of cards in boxes and folders including HoFer cards from the 50's and 60's. The only ones that appreciated greatly after I bought were not so popular HoFers like Early Wynn, Hoyt Wilhelm, Luis Aparicio, Nellie Fox. At the time people only cared about the real big namers: Mantle, Mays, Koufax and the sort.

In the early 90's I also started buying cards of those who had great careers and might have a shot at the Hall someday in the future: Ron Santo, Rizzuto, Tony Oliva, Orlando Cepeda, Vida Pinson.

^That's what is crazy about all these prospects now. Their cards are going for more than lots of HoF players just based on hype or a good rookie year! For example, I bought a Ryan Braun autograph card before this season began for $20...it's now a $100-$150 card. The same $100 got me Gary Carter, Ozzie Smith, and Dave Winfield near mint graded rookie cards.

I believe a rookie card for a 19 year old single A pitcher (Fernando Martinez of the Mets) just went for $1,500 on ebay as well...

• 8 months later...

The whole rookie card phenomenon is the epitome of why I got out of baseball card collecting for the most part. When I started collecting in the late '80s/early '90s, cards were 50 cents a pack at most. Now they're, what, $5 or more? That's a higher rate of inflation than gasoline and corn combined!

My dad has some great cards from his youth--original Mantles and Ted Williams-es in mint and near-mint condition. His mother was a neat freak of the highest caliber (maybe even OCD) and forced him to keep everything 100 percent spotless. As a result every comic book, baseball card and toy he ever had growing up is predominately still in mint condition--and in the case of toys, almost all in their original boxes.

They'll all be mine someday (bwa-ha-ha-ha!). In the meantime, I managed to pull together some really nifty cards of my own, some from my "generation," but mostly from long before my time. My most prized pieces are a Leaf Jackie Robinson rookie in fair condition and an original Topps Satchel Paige in near-mint to mint.

Still working on that Piedmont Honus Wagner....

I've managed to get some great autographed baseballs over the years, as well--Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson and Duke Snider, to name just a few of the pros, along with a number of Negro League players.