TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

P. 23: Fiesta del Mar event announced!

Heading to SWSA tomorrow while I'm visiting San Antonio. Does anyone know if Wave Breaker is open again? I can't seem to find an answer on the website and the park won't answer the phone lol.

I'll post some pictures here if I end up going. I probably won't if it's closed although Texas Stingray might be worth it alone. We'll see. 

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did the Dolphin tour for free with our new Plat passes today. Schedule first thing, they fill up fast. Got to touch and give them some commands in a back area setting.  Enjoyed it. We bought the

Since that is a holiday weekend with an event going on, I would just buy it ahead of time, especially since it's only $25.

Just an fyi -  customer service did respond to my email and were more than happy to allow me to use my quick queues on the new date, which would have been great. Unfortunately we had to cancel the tri

Posted Images

1 hour ago, WillB93 said:

Heading to SWSA tomorrow while I'm visiting San Antonio. Does anyone know if Wave Breaker is open again? I can't seem to find an answer on the website and the park won't answer the phone lol.

I'll post some pictures here if I end up going. I probably won't if it's closed although Texas Stingray might be worth it alone. We'll see. 

Wave Breaker was open as of last Sunday 11/15 as evidenced by how many times I rode it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thinking of making a trip down to Texas later this month... is it possible that any of the larger coasters would not be open on a Sunday?  I've heard that some of the rides have remained closed during non-peak days due to lower crowds resulting from the pandemic.   

1 hour ago, dankeykang said:

Thinking of making a trip down to Texas later this month... is it possible that any of the larger coasters would not be open on a Sunday?  I've heard that some of the rides have remained closed during non-peak days due to lower crowds resulting from the pandemic.   

Journey to Atlantis was closed in December due to cooler temperatures and I imagine that will be the case for your visit.

The operations at this park can be really bad.  The rides towards the back can sometimes have staggered openings (Wave Breaker and Great White), but they didn't in my most recent visit.  All of the coasters outside of Journey to Atlantis were scheduled to be open for me.  Steel Eel was closed due to a mechanical issue my first day, so I had to go back for that one.  I have seen some reports of Great White being closed on days when the park isn't very crowded, but if that's the case you can drive 20 minutes down the road for the city's other Batman clone.

Lastly, just make sure you don't visit on a day with rain or else everything will be closed (happened to me).

• Like 1

Yeah I would likely be spending most of the weekend at SFFT but I was hoping to also experience the coasters at SeaWorld at the very least.  Based on that information it sounds like starting Saturday at SWSA might be the way to go, pending weather, of course.  Thanks for the insight!

2 hours ago, dankeykang said:

Yeah I would likely be spending most of the weekend at SFFT but I was hoping to also experience the coasters at SeaWorld at the very least.  Based on that information it sounds like starting Saturday at SWSA might be the way to go, pending weather, of course.  Thanks for the insight!

If Great White is to operate, Saturday would be your best bet since that would be the most crowded day.

From my visit, Wave Breaker and Texas Stingray had far longer lines than Steel Eel or Great White.  The park was only running one train on each coaster, except they did add a second to Texas Stingray after the queue hit an hour.  That made Texas Stingray a walk-on by the end of the day.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:43 PM, Canobie Coaster said:

Lastly, just make sure you don't visit on a day with rain or else everything will be closed (happened to me).

Or, even more so, wind. When I was down there two years ago in February, there were "high" winds (like I want to say in the 15 MPH range) and they literally shut down all the coasters in the park until they died down. I ended up sticking it out and eventually got rides on all of them, but it was pretty miserable between them clearing out the queues, then letting people back in, then sending a test train, then clearing the queues out again. None of the other Texas parks I visited had such a restrictive wind policy.

In fairness, both of those parks did a good job with sending a notification well in advance that they would be closed (yesterday's forecast was low 40s and possible snow), so I was easily able to cancel flights ahead of time.  

@dankeykang

^ oh it Snowed in Texas.   (and temp was ~32.9 all day)

not sure about San Antonio, as that's further South than us, but at my house we got over 4" yesterday.

because it is TEXAS?  People flipped the hell out  (there's still quite a bit of snow on the ground - tho it's now melting - but yes, EVERYTHING in Central Texas shut down yesterday, and most are still closed today.

the stores were insane too - people stripping the shelves.   Was nuts. . sheesh people.

this is in Austin yesterday:

neighbors building life-sized snowmen
135849959_5087621384589152_3992290912565

136194076_5087625431255414_8873929708723

it snowed for another 6 hours after I took this pic.

136059709_5087624064588884_3315393950755

Did we get any snow pictures from the San Antonio parks? If Austin got 4" I would hope the parks at least got some flurries!?!?

3 hours ago, bert425 said:

@dankeykang

^ oh it Snowed in Texas.   (and temp was ~32.9 all day)

not sure about San Antonio, as that's further South than us, but at my house we got over 4" yesterday.

because it is TEXAS?  People flipped the hell out  (there's still quite a bit of snow on the ground - tho it's now melting - but yes, EVERYTHING in Central Texas shut down yesterday, and most are still closed today.

the stores were insane too - people stripping the shelves.   Was nuts. . sheesh people.

this is in Austin yesterday:

neighbors building life-sized snowmen
135849959_5087621384589152_3992290912565

136194076_5087625431255414_8873929708723

it snowed for another 6 hours after I took this pic.

136059709_5087624064588884_3315393950755

Damn, that's a lot of snow! I take that's very unusual for Austin? The very few times it has snowed by me in CA it was a light dusting and melted a couple of hours later.

25 minutes ago, 805Andrew said:

Damn, that's a lot of snow! I take that's very unusual for Austin? The very few times it has snowed by me in CA it was a light dusting and melted a couple of hours later.

Highly unusual. . and this is the largest snowfall in decades (if not ever).

the last time we had "snow" was ~5 years ago, and it was a very light dusting mixed with ice / sleet.

this was actual snow.  for a good 9 hours.

• Like 1

That reminds me of when SoCal got dumped with snow on New Year's Eve 2014. Not so much the coastal areas or Orange County, but the inland empire and higher parts of LA got several inches that hung around for several days. Highly unusual but super cool when it happens.

If I never saw another snow flake it would be ok with me. Hopefully, since it is so rare down there, that is it for the winter because as I have been posting on a couple of the other Texas threads my son and I are going to try to hit the parks in Texas Pres Day weekend, and it better NOT snow! I am hoping to hit SW on Sat 2/13 before the tickets I bought almost a year ago expire 🙄 As it is with the current hours we are going to have to leave about an hour before close and hightail it over to ZDT's to try and get SB done.

I recently changed my plans to visit SWSA to Feb 13th. Being a Saturday with the Mardi Gras event, and Quick Queue unlimited being only $25 (with Platinum Membership), would anyone recommend I just buy it ahead of time? Or still think it'd be good to just wait until day-of to see how crowds are?

8 minutes ago, IronWolfman said:

I recently changed my plans to visit SWSA to Feb 13th. Being a Saturday with the Mardi Gras event, and Quick Queue unlimited being only $25 (with Platinum Membership), would anyone recommend I just buy it ahead of time? Or still think it'd be good to just wait until day-of to see how crowds are?

Since that is a holiday weekend with an event going on, I would just buy it ahead of time, especially since it's only $25.

• Like 2