TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

Uhh... Yawn? This looks pretty dull for an Anheuser Busch Attraction... (IMO)

How is it any more or less dull than the rapid ride or log flume that the park already has?

Well when you look at JTA at SWO, and even the one at SWSD, they look a lot better themed(even with California effort), and this one looks like they were to lazy to build a similar ride. The ride looks fun, but I just think they should have done something similar to Florida's. It doesn't look any worse than their log flume or rapid ride, but when compared to the other JTAs, this one seems to fall short.

Uhh... Yawn? This looks pretty dull for an Anheuser Busch Attraction... (IMO)

How is it any more or less dull than the rapid ride or log flume that the park already has?

Well when you look at JTA at SWO, and even the one at SWSD, they look a lot better themed(even with California effort), and this one looks like they were to lazy to build a similar ride. The ride looks fun, but I just think they should have done something similar to Florida's. It doesn't look any worse than their log flume or rapid ride, but when compared to the other JTAs, this one seems to fall short.

I guess you didn't see what Elissa wrote a page or so back:

I think we really have to look at this, not as a 'Journey' version...but it's just a water ride that uses that name. Keep in mind Sea World Texas has always been into rides, especially water rides. For them, this is just a splashdown boat, and it was easy for them to use the same name, font, marketing materials, etc.

I agree with you...but I think trying to compare it to the other two JtA's when it isn't even the same ride system, is pretty pointless.

This is a lot more like comparing SFMM's Viper to SFGAm's Viper.

Same name....different ride....

--Robb

Eh, I'm not a big fan of these ride systems either, although they do look fun enough. It's just not really worth having that little dip at the top, it doesn't add much and makes the ride look odd. For me, the classic mill chutes are where its at: tunnels, theming, and one huge or multiple splashdowns are much better than these gimmicks.

But eh, I'd ride this, I just think they could have done better with it.

I don't get the purpose of having the boat go backwards..... is it better, or does it just take up more time because the boat has to turn back around to go down the hill?

ehh I'd ride and it looks fun, but I'd be much happier with just a regular log flume

Actually it is less rotation for it to go backwards through the element and besides it adds something unique to the ride.

I think this looks like a great ride and as much as you can argue how good it is in comparison it will serve it's purpose well. I haven't seen any concept art or anything so I don't know if they plan to theme it more. But lets face it the biggest killer on water rides is they fill like crazy on a hot day. The video of the Europa Park version really showed just how great this ride is at throughput. I mean heck with the two turntables they had boats on each! Thats huge... If they can keep that kind of operation up it will mean a ton of people get on an hour and that is a great thing for any water ride.

I don't know, but it looks like a stripped-stripped down version of California's JTA!

Ok....everyone needs to get this through their heads.....

IT IS NOTHING LIKE EITHER VERSION OF JTA!!!

It's not even the same ride system!

Seriously, even though the California version of it totally stripped out any theming or dark ride parts that the Florida version has, it still had the slow moving section around the front area, 2 drops, 2 lifts (one being the elevator one) and the coaster section.

This one at Texas is a.....

SPLASHDOWN BOAT!!!

Like Tidal Wave at BGT, or Perilous Plunge at Knott's, or any other of those boat rides where you go up a lift, turn the corner....

SPLASH!!!!!

It just happens to share the name Journey to Atlantis. And this one just happens to have a little backwards section.

I rode this exact same ride at Europa Park in 2005. For a splashdown boat type of ride, it's actually fun! *MUCH* better that your typical version.

But that's ALL it is!

So please....stop comparing it to the Florida or the California version. It has NOTHING to do with either of those...other than the name.

END RANT!!!

--Robb

^ Wait, I get it...kinda like Scream! at SFMM is a B&M Floorless and Scream! at SFNE is an S&S Tower? (end sarcasm).

Seriously, folks...my opinion is pretty much meaningless since the last time I attended any Sea World was before ANY JTAs existed, but I have to agree with Robb here...go back and re-read my first comment i this post for another example as to why he's right. Why are we getting all wound up about it being "less than" the other JTAs when it's fairly obvious that it's not even remotely similar to them, particularly when one makes even a marginal effort to look at the photos?

When I first heard that SWOT was getting a Journey to Atlantis ride I was pretty excited. With GREAT anticipation I awaited the announcement wondering which version it would it would be most like.

Then came the announcement. *sigh* An off the shelf ride that would resemble neither. Not much theming (if any) and a variation of a ride I can ride in just about any park.

Disapointing? Well, yeah. Here I was thinking that Texas would get something Unique for the state and while I was not wrong, it is unique for the wrong reasons.

OK, before you read the next part, I have to say I am not a fan of these splashdown rides in general. I HATE getting soaked at a park, probably from growing up in Houston and with its high humidity, getting wet does not mean cooling off, it just promises a mean rash....

So I generally skip these rides, even in climates that have lower humidity unless I take the time and effort to pack extra clothes. San Antonio is a bit less humid, so there is a lot more cooling off that comes with these rides. Seeing how popular these rides are, I accept that I am probably in the minority with my views.

Now, I have to agree a Water Ride is not a bad choice seeing how hot it gets in that park, but the park already has a River Rapids ride and a really good log flume.

Just down the road, SFFT has 3 "wet" rides, one of them being a more conventional Splash down ride, so I guess Sea World wanted to match that number and up the ante with this version of a splashdown ride.

I just wished that they had not teased us with the name first. Anybody who has been to the Orlando park and ridden JTA and expecting something similar is going to be dissapointed.

Will it bring me to the park? Not by itself, but as I really like Steel Eel, I will probably give it a try if I visit the park this year.

I just think they really missed the boat on this one. A JTA like the Orlando version or even the SD version would have gotten me to the park a lot more and maybe even consider Season Passes. As it is now, I *Might* go the park.

Of course the 99% of the GP does not know or care and the ride will probably be a big hit for the locals they are trying to bring in. They are not building this for us jaded coaster enthusiasts. (Except for the credit whores who will no doubt be counting this as a coaster)

Don't get me wrong, I really like SWOT, and it has 2 really good coasters, a great waterpark and all the cool animal shows that you can expect from a park with the Sea World name. I just wish they had shown a little more creativity in either selecting this ride or naming it. As it stands now, with this version of JTA, there will not be anything like either version in the other parks ever coming to SWOT.

But, as it was pointed out to me during Winterfest, its better than nothing and while I can agree with that, for the amount they are spending on the ride, its not by much.

I'm not quite following the logic here....

When I first heard that SWOT was getting a Journey to Atlantis ride I was pretty excited. With GREAT anticipation I awaited the announcement wondering which version it would it would be most like. Disapointing? Well, yeah. Here I was thinking that Texas would get something Unique for the state and while I was not wrong, it is unique for the wrong reasons.
I have to say I am not a fan of these splashdown rides in general. I HATE getting soaked at a park. A JTA like the Orlando version or even the SD version would have gotten me to the park a lot more and maybe even consider Season Passes.

This is what doesn't make sense to me. On my last ride on JtA in both California and Florida, I got SOAKED....absolutely DRENCHED!!! Head to toe. (but I didn't mind because I personally LOVE these kind of rides!)

While I agree that it was kind of a "bait and switch" tactic using the name, thinking you'd get something more than a splashdown boat, but you can get just as soaked on either version of JtA as you can on a splashdown boat. So I'm not quite understanding your logic for hating on it so much....

--Robb "BTW, we actually got WAY more soaked on JtA than we did on Europa's Atlantica Supersplash!" Alvey

To be honest JTA in Orlando did not get me any more wet than a log flume. I really liked the ride, thought it was pretty cool. I did not see anybody coming off of it even close to drenched. Maybe they can affect how wet you get depending on the weather? It was a pretty chilly night.

I was there for one of those Microsoft Conferences and there were no lines so I must have ridden it 10 times and did not get drenched at all. I think the most was a wave coming over the boat and getting my leg wet, as opposed to the splash down rides that have left me just soaked.

And while I say I hate getting soaked, it has been known to happen...

I don't want to pre-judge this ride to much, I can't sat I dislike it as I have not had a chance to ride it. I might end up loving it after I ride it. I am just basing my opinions on similar rides and my reactions to them.

I will add this, during the Hershey Con, a bunch of us put on swimsuits and shirts and rode their splashdown ride and had a great time. I just don't like spending the rest of the day soaking wet.

^ Interesting....

I was looking for photos of us after the ride, but the only thing I found from our last trip there that showed anything to do with the "soakings" was this:

Like I said, for me, getting wet really isn't an issue. I love it! And all I know is that I've gotten more wet on both JtA's that I did on the ride that SWOT's ride is cloned after.

--Robb

OMG YES!!!

I have gotten drenched sitting in all different seats on both JTA's. Everyone knows you get drenched if you sit in the front of Orlando's, but usually you're safe sitting somewhere else but it's pretty much a crapshoot. Then there was that horrible jumping water on San Diego's that drenched me!

On all of the bigger Mack Splashdown boats I've been on (Tusenfryd's and Europa's...the ones that are most similar to San Antonios's) I haven't gotten that wet at all.

Heck even DAN rerode them!!! So that means they can't be wet at all!

Jeez, I never saw anything like that on my trip to Orlando's JTA. I might have a different opinion if I did....

It's funny, but on my first ride I was expecting to get soaked and was suprised that I didn't.

I can't explain the different experiences. Maybe somone more familiar can clue us in.

I am sure at some point I will ride JTA at SWOT, but it won't be the main reason I visit. That will be to get my Steel Eel fix.

Part of the reason that Europe's version didn't get yall wet, is that there are trims on the first drop to control the speed of the boat as it descends. On SWOT's, there aren't. I was in the park for orientation on my job today. We got to walk around the site (sorry no pics) and there are not even slots on the track for trims. As far as theming, I actuall think that it will have a nicely themed station as there is a lot of non coaster related verticle construction going on around the area.

^ Interesting. I don't remember any trims on the Europa version.

I actually think the main reason why we didn't get wet is because on most rides of this type there is a "bridge." And where you normally get the most wet at is when the water hits the bridge and then splashes back into the boat.

Most of the splashdown boats that do not have a bridge don't get you nearly as wet as the ones that do.

--Robb

Wow déjà vu! I was in EP when they built AS, and this one is exactely the same.

To be honest, I didn't liked AS that much. The only fun part was the backwards section, which surprised me because I didn't expect it to be that 'intense'. Sure the final drop is big and steep but the splash itself is not that big.

I got more wet in the log flume than on this ride!

Well, for someone who lives in SA, doesn't get to travel outside the state (the last time was '01 and only for a funeral), and has never ridden or even seen one of the other JTA's in person, I'm just excited we're getting something new, regardless of theming (or the lack thereof). "Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth" comes to mind - we could be getting nothing (as it has been around here for a number of years).

Sure it would be awesome to have elaborate theming... that's something I enjoy about photos of rides around the country and the world. But sometimes we have to be thankful we're getting something. And besides... it could be worse.

OMG YES!!!

I have gotten drenched sitting in all different seats on both JTA's. Everyone knows you get drenched if you sit in the front of Orlando's...

Sea World knew what they were doing. Kelly and I rode front seat of JTA at SWO, and our shoes were so water-logged after we got off, we stopped by their strategically placed gift shop and dished out about $30 for two pairs of flip-flops. Coincidence? I think not!

Part of the reason that Europe's version didn't get yall wet, is that there are trims on the first drop to control the speed of the boat as it descends. On SWOT's, there aren't. I was in the park for orientation on my job today. We got to walk around the site (sorry no pics) and there are not even slots on the track for trims. As far as theming, I actuall think that it will have a nicely themed station as there is a lot of non coaster related verticle construction going on around the area.

There are no trims on AS. I just looked on RCDB and I didn't see any. So, unless they literally just added them, you may be thinking about a different ride...