TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

Received an email this morning that Aquatica San Antonio is reopening this Saturday, June 6th. I'm assuming SeaWorld can't be too far behind at this point either.

Gov. Abbott went to Phase 3 late this afternoon. . effective immediately.

This Phase also allows Texas ThemeParks & Waterparks to open at 50% capacity if they so choose.

so yeah, agreed that both will be open soon.

I'm disappointed that for the Aquatica online reservations, it seems as though priority is being given to those who purchase single day tickets. Under the single day ticket reservations tab there are far more dates available than either the passholder or fun card tab. They should not be doing this to their most loyal customers. They should have a set capacity and fill it up with any ticket type until it is full. I see this as just a way to ensure they get more money even after they continued to charge many of these passholders while the parks were closed.

I'm disappointed that for the Aquatica online reservations, it seems as though priority is being given to those who purchase single day tickets. Under the single day ticket reservations tab there are far more dates available than either the passholder or fun card tab. They should not be doing this to their most loyal customers. They should have a set capacity and fill it up with any ticket type until it is full. I see this as just a way to ensure they get more money even after they continued to charge many of these passholders while the parks were closed.

Not sure where you're getting that from. I went on there and can reserve any date the park is open if I wanted to in all three areas (all the dates are available that is regardless of which option I went to). I do know the site was overloaded earlier in the day and many had issues getting through. One thing is if you've tried creating a reservation and didn't get through, that you needed to clear your cart out completely and start over, otherwise it would give you a warning that you had too many people.

• 3 months later...

Here are some photos of the Texas Thrillseekers (TTS) ERT on Texas Stingray during our recent SWSA event. I'm in all of them, I'm the guy with dark hair and glasses. Texas Stingray is possibly the best GCI I've ever been on. The ride is fast and furious with great pacing on all the elements! At the end of the day, Ray Gonzales and the staff at SWSA surprised us with gifts of Texas Stingray wood! It's leftover wood from Texas Stingray made into souvenirs!

NOTE: On-ride photos are by TTS staff photographer Nick Carlos.

20200912_092157.thumb.jpg.8dd72a5fa220cfa86bec4808cbefe8f9.jpg

Trains look nice!

20200912_094135.thumb.jpg.56e9d03586bd32a2c19492c91fadee98.jpg

This would be me!

20200912_094740.thumb.jpg.5bce1d4d513f970f02a46a752dee85a5.jpg

The dispatches were great! Excellent staff!

20200912_111023.thumb.jpg.0f515d6bfafde2aba178b936560ff640.jpg

Talk about a cool pic!

20200912_180654.thumb.jpg.b6cc9eb11fdaa658222ff517a474bbcd.jpg

With Trevor Eitel, head of Texas Thrillseekers!

20200912_182611.thumb.jpg.bb047066e7013a515d768a33060bb5c2.jpg

My own piece of Texas Stingray wood!

FB_IMG_1600189223074.thumb.jpg.073b873c57768a8a602f53f971633557.jpg

I'm in fourth row on this one!

FB_IMG_1600189254333.thumb.jpg.f1878a2cdfd1607bd8eb5c8787a4ffa4.jpg

Right behind my friends Mike and Jeff!

FB_IMG_1600189290152.thumb.jpg.8d1f47a16a21b1911558fba3e0fad198.jpg

Back row anyone!

FB_IMG_1600189300997.thumb.jpg.4d32ca152cb0c9481d5feb1e214f8552.jpg

What a ride!!

20200912_090102.thumb.jpg.77a1718fd74d070f959282b0b7296ea8.jpg

With Ray Gonzales, project director for Texas Stingray!

Edited by Sportsdude360

It’s funny, a couple years ago, I couldn’t care much less about GCI’s. Now, after Mystic Timbers, Prowler, and their refurb of Ghostrider, I’m all about them. Texas Stingray looks like the best of the bunch and I can’t wait to get out there soon!

Here are a few shots of me riding Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coaster with my friend Mike.

NOTE: All photos are by Nick Carlos, TTS staff photographer.

FB_IMG_1600310009105.thumb.jpg.3b84204d418cf168a9a91de740b224e3.jpg

Wave Breaker is good Intamin family style launched coaster!

FB_IMG_1600310032783.thumb.jpg.a47595180e4e4f2e94b17a86dc821da5.jpg

Those trains look cool!

FB_IMG_1600310047733.thumb.jpg.5f3be1a37f78901469d934b693b28bd0.jpg

Over the water!

FB_IMG_1600310125933.thumb.jpg.bbbfacdd5059a3ccda834b2ecb662827.jpg

Mike's arms weren't long enough to reach the hand grips! lol

• 1 month later...

So this is different...

2.thumb.jpg.0d3b76cfc7ef7f7c12ccc418139576d1.jpg

News 4 San Antonio

Apparently Wave Breaker stopped yesterday atop a hill and took three hours to evacuate. One would think that if this were as simple as the ride balancing in that spot they would have just nudged it forward or backwards before securing the train and evacuating it over a lake (it just left a launch block and seems like it could easily crest that hill with no momentum moving forward and make it through the rest of the course).

Maybe not, I'm going to venture a guess that something a bit more complicated happened here.

SeaWorld San Antonio has sent us a press release about the new Fiesta del Mar event that will be hosted at the park over the next two weekends!

869245515_2020_SWT_FiestaDelMar_GroupShot.thumb.jpg.b39392101a04abdc0ef6d22b3f463e0f.jpg

San Antonio’s rich Hispanic culture meets the sea at the all-new Fiesta del Mar! This NEW SeaWorld tradition will come alive every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with the vibrant colors, lights, smells, and sounds of old Mexico, while keeping guests safe with the park’s enhanced health and safety measures including physical distancing, additional cleaning and sanitizing, face covering requirements, temperature screenings, and a ticket reservation system to manage capacity. Guests will enjoy the familiar sounds of violins and vocals from authentic mariachi bands, say “¡Olé!” to colorful flamenco performances, and indulge in their favorite Mexican festival food and drinks. This limited time cultural celebration occurs Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from November 6 – 15.  

Fiesta del Mar will give guests the opportunity to celebrate rich traditions while safely visiting the park, roaming its expansive 250 acres decorated with traditional fiesta-styled decor, and enjoying cooler autumn temperatures. In addition to enhancing the park’s already strict health and safety measures, capacity will be significantly limited to create even more open space for a visit that promotes physical distancing in a safe environment. Guests are encouraged to make reservations early as reservations are required and limited to manage capacity. Reservations can be made at SeaWorld.com/san-antonio/tickets/reservations/.  

Fans of Mexican and Latin food and drink can satisfy their taste buds with delectable street vendor food options from a Fiesta del Mar chef-created menu that includes nachos, tacos, tostadas, roasted corn, churros, mangonadas; drinks including margaritas, Modelo, Modelo Negra, Dos Equis, and Tecate beers, and non-alcoholic beverages; and the ever popular San Antonio favorite, chicken on a stick! The celebration will also include a Fiesta del Mar Market with themed merchandise, recuerdos (souvenirs), medals and more. SeaWorld Pass Members have the special opportunity on Sunday, November 8 to receive a FREE SeaWorld 2020 medal, exclusively designed for and only available to pass members, featuring a moving replica of the state’s Tallest, Fastest, Longest and Newest wooden coaster – Texas Stingray (quantities are limited, while supplies last). Guests will also be treated to live music concerts with popular local bands The Chisme, and Bidi Bidi Banda (a Selena tribute band!) and enjoy the exciting rides and SeaWorld attractions they’ve come to love.

“San Antonians are craving a return to their cherished traditions, but wanting to celebrate safely with friends and family,” said Byron Surrett, President of SeaWorld and Aquatica San Antonio. “Our first-ever Fiesta del Mar will give our guests this special opportunity to enjoy the perfect combination of our Mexican heritage, and memorable community and family fellowship.”

After a day of festive fun, the night sky will come to colorful life when guests cap off the party with a Fiesta del Mar fireworks extravaganza! This jaw-dropping show features a Folklorico dancer pre-show and an amazing finale of vivid flames, sparks, and aerial bursts of color, all set to Latin music. This fireworks spectacular can be viewed from socially distanced seating at Bayside Stadium, around the banks of the water ski lake, and throughout the park.

Best Way to Play

Guests can best experience SeaWorld’s Fiesta Del Mar by purchasing a 2021 Season Pass to enjoy the rest of the 2020 season for FREE and play through the end of 2021! The new 2021 Season Pass also includes FREE parking, passholder exclusive discounts on merchandise and photos, and all new special event (including the 2020 SeaWorld medal giveaway). The fun and incredible value also doesn’t end there. The park’s Silver, Gold, and Platinum Annual Passes are packed with even more benefits (the best in SeaWorld’s history) to enjoy the parks year-round including up to six (6) free bring-a-friend tickets, VIP parking, up to 50% off in-park discounts, free access to animal interactions, and much more.

Safety: 

SeaWorld San Antonio is committed to the health and safety of our guests, employees, and the animals in our care. The park has worked diligently with state and local health officials, outside consultants and attraction industry leaders to enhance our already strict health, safety and cleanliness standards. These protocols and guidelines will be modified based on evolving industry standards and methodologies, public health, and governmental directives, and advancing scientific knowledge on the transmissibility of COVID-19. SeaWorld San Antonio is excited to continue to provide our guests with fun, inspiring and memorable experiences, while addressing important health and safety needs during this time. For detailed information about the measures that guests can expect when visiting the resort, including key operational changes, visit Seaworld.com/san-antonio/park-info/park-safety.

For more information, park hours and to purchase tickets, visit SeaWorldSanAntonio.com.

Follow SeaWorld on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest news from SeaWorld.

SeaWorld 2020 medal.jpg

2020_SWT_Fiesta Del Mar_Family Dancing.jpg

2020_SWT_Fiesta Del Mar_Dancer.jpg

2020_SWT_Fiesta Del Mar_logo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Heading to SWSA tomorrow while I'm visiting San Antonio. Does anyone know if Wave Breaker is open again? I can't seem to find an answer on the website and the park won't answer the phone lol.

I'll post some pictures here if I end up going. I probably won't if it's closed although Texas Stingray might be worth it alone. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, WillB93 said:

Heading to SWSA tomorrow while I'm visiting San Antonio. Does anyone know if Wave Breaker is open again? I can't seem to find an answer on the website and the park won't answer the phone lol.

I'll post some pictures here if I end up going. I probably won't if it's closed although Texas Stingray might be worth it alone. We'll see. 

Wave Breaker was open as of last Sunday 11/15 as evidenced by how many times I rode it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thinking of making a trip down to Texas later this month... is it possible that any of the larger coasters would not be open on a Sunday?  I've heard that some of the rides have remained closed during non-peak days due to lower crowds resulting from the pandemic.   

1 hour ago, dankeykang said:

Thinking of making a trip down to Texas later this month... is it possible that any of the larger coasters would not be open on a Sunday?  I've heard that some of the rides have remained closed during non-peak days due to lower crowds resulting from the pandemic.   

Journey to Atlantis was closed in December due to cooler temperatures and I imagine that will be the case for your visit.

The operations at this park can be really bad.  The rides towards the back can sometimes have staggered openings (Wave Breaker and Great White), but they didn't in my most recent visit.  All of the coasters outside of Journey to Atlantis were scheduled to be open for me.  Steel Eel was closed due to a mechanical issue my first day, so I had to go back for that one.  I have seen some reports of Great White being closed on days when the park isn't very crowded, but if that's the case you can drive 20 minutes down the road for the city's other Batman clone.

Lastly, just make sure you don't visit on a day with rain or else everything will be closed (happened to me).

• Like 1

Yeah I would likely be spending most of the weekend at SFFT but I was hoping to also experience the coasters at SeaWorld at the very least.  Based on that information it sounds like starting Saturday at SWSA might be the way to go, pending weather, of course.  Thanks for the insight!

2 hours ago, dankeykang said:

Yeah I would likely be spending most of the weekend at SFFT but I was hoping to also experience the coasters at SeaWorld at the very least.  Based on that information it sounds like starting Saturday at SWSA might be the way to go, pending weather, of course.  Thanks for the insight!

If Great White is to operate, Saturday would be your best bet since that would be the most crowded day.

From my visit, Wave Breaker and Texas Stingray had far longer lines than Steel Eel or Great White.  The park was only running one train on each coaster, except they did add a second to Texas Stingray after the queue hit an hour.  That made Texas Stingray a walk-on by the end of the day.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:43 PM, Canobie Coaster said:

Lastly, just make sure you don't visit on a day with rain or else everything will be closed (happened to me).

Or, even more so, wind. When I was down there two years ago in February, there were "high" winds (like I want to say in the 15 MPH range) and they literally shut down all the coasters in the park until they died down. I ended up sticking it out and eventually got rides on all of them, but it was pretty miserable between them clearing out the queues, then letting people back in, then sending a test train, then clearing the queues out again. None of the other Texas parks I visited had such a restrictive wind policy.