TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

Totally forgot to post about my visit to Howl O Scream this last Saturday. Yep, the step child Seaworld has a HOS event. They added a new house this year and now have 5 houses, 4 scare zones and 3 bars (one with hot nurses). They definitely made major improvements to the event this year over last year. I think they might be a house or two away from being on par with the other HOS events. They also really need to add a show besides Shamu. Overall, it's a great event and recommend paying for front of the line pass if you go (just $20). Here a few photos I took.

image.thumb.jpg.5d080433fa7579c08083b93f99b59649.jpg

Steel Eel delivers major airtime

image.thumb.jpg.2759c0fd6b416c70f829bdc6f99397b7.jpg

I love how they convert the family park for scare zones

image.thumb.jpg.8ffc35275dbae0a16a3d7a8aee9dfd71.jpg

Laura has a new bf

image.thumb.jpg.346d8aacea4dd93cdf6e64c5e976db41.jpg

Hot!!

image.thumb.jpg.4738b7c1ed1ed14be779eafc6eb38d3b.jpg

Checking out one of the new bars

image.thumb.jpg.57633a7270b25b860bc53bbc0988b3a1.jpg

Haunted houses + coasters + alcohol = Fun night

image.thumb.jpg.8ad13a9bb3868e5ae819b6026b424593.jpg

More alcohol

• 4 months later...

I see that nothing has been posted lately about the new Point Reserve or sea lion habitat. I'm thinking about making a trip here in March. I just wanted to know will the new habitat be done and finished. I heard this is a great park. It may lack thrill rides, but I was told Steel Eel and Great White make up for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just announced for 2016. Looks like Discovery Cove.

@SeaWorldTexas: Here it is...in 2016 we open Discovery Point, the new hub for dolphin, beluga and sea lion swim programs. #MoreToSea

image.thumb.jpg.b1781b6224aacfb63f395a941ed99a5e.jpg

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I think this park has the most growth potential of all the parks under the SEAS umbrella. There's tremendous growth in Texas and outside of Six Flags and smaller attractions There's nothing major.

Heck, they should look at a new Busch Gardens in the area.

I agree SWT easily has the most potential for growth out of all the parks due to it's size. Their wording on this "Discovery Point" is very confusing though, is this a completely new complex for Belugas, dolphins and Sea Lions or is this just a rebranding of an existing program. Yes, I know they're building a new dolphin lagoon but is that included for belugas as well?

I agree SWT easily has the most potential for growth out of all the parks due to it's size. Their wording on this "Discovery Point" is very confusing though, is this a completely new complex for Belugas, dolphins and Sea Lions or is this just a rebranding of an existing program. Yes, I know they're building a new dolphin lagoon but is that included for belugas as well?

Maybe I can try to clear this up. Dolphin Cove is going to be closing down towards the end of the month to make way for a new dolphin exhibit. The current exhibit is going to double in size and have an under water viewing area, just like Orlando. They will (most likely) continue doing the current dolphin touch programs where you get that guaranteed touch with a dolphin.

They are going to be building a brand new complex that will house the 3 interaction programs. SeaWorld currently offers the Beluga and Sea Lion interaction in their back pools. This new complex will be specifically designed for these programs and will (most likely) be open for everyone to watch. There will be 3 separate area for Beluga Bay, Sea Lion Shallows, and Dolphin Lagoon. You can expect this to feel a lot like Discovery Cove in orlando.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/SeaWorld-San-Antonio-to-close-portion-of-park-for-6119038.php

SeaWorld San Antonio, as part of a multimillion-dollar expansion project, will close the northern portion of the park to guests starting later this month to make room for a new dolphin exhibit and attraction.

The West Side theme park on Friday announced the temporary closure as it unveiled details for the habitat, which will feature underwater viewing windows and a dolphin swim experience.

Starting March 23, access to Dolphin Cove and the park’s sharks and coral reef attractions will remain closed until construction crews complete the project in May 2016, according to a news release.

SeaWorld will nearly double the water volume of its dolphin pools to more than 600,000 gallons and install large viewing panes below the water’s surface so guests can watch the mammals swim and play, the release reads.

Guests also can visit Discovery Point, a new animal interaction program, to swim with bottlenose dolphins and learn about dolphin behavior and communication.

Paid reservations must be made for the program, according to the release, and participants must be at least 6 years old.

“Up until now, we’ve only offered this experience in Orlando so this will make it much more accessible to guests in our region,” Dan Decker, president of the park, said in a statement.

Last August, SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. announced it would undertake massive expansion and renovation projects at all three of its theme parks.

It will build tanks for orcas that hold 10 million gallons of water -- almost twice the size of the current tanks.

Set to open this spring at the San Antonio park, a new California sea lion exhibit dubbed Pacific Point Preserve will resemble a Pacific Coast town and offer a new sea lion show and food-court-style restaurant serving four types of cuisine.

image.jpg.c0bfe2ff7b6b159be245ecc2b0aff9d3.jpg

Starting March 23, access to Dolphin Cove and the park’s sharks and coral reef attractions will remain closed until construction crews complete the project in May 2016, according to a news release.

image.jpg.abf2ab2ff2b0533a51f5cbe63cb87141.jpg

SeaWorld San Antonio is to see construction of a new dolphin habitat. The changes will feature a coastal theme.

image.jpg.637e489d65d1c4786d040addfe0f1bb6.jpg

SeaWorld San Antonio plans to add room, starting next February, for new orca and dolphin habitats, part of a $30 million project.

image.jpg.92ef2728df33ca9a62aba9d1f5938ec0.jpg

image.jpg.d757e2bfb8bcf0049890db8490ae7c2c.jpg

SeaWorld San Antonio next spring will unveil a renovated sea lion exhibit, called Pacific Point Preserve, that will include a new show. The park's current sea lion show, "The Cannery Row Caper," will end its nine-year run on Sept. 1. Courtesy SeaWorld Entertainment Inc.

image.jpg.33ca76927e56ae102b8bf5d650d98a69.jpg

SeaWorld San Antonio's new sea lion exhibit will include a restaurant with food-court-style service with up to four styles of cuisine. It will debut next to the Pacific Point Preserve habitat in spring 2015. Courtesy SeaWorld Entertainment Inc.

image.jpg.d8e5cdf810be718d7ee64d7aae163ffb.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 months later...

Hoping some locals can help me out.

Heading to the park on Saturday. Have not purchased tickets yet. Clicking around, trying to figure out the best deal.

There is the chance that I make it out there again in the next 12 months, so I've pondered whether or not to do the 12mo monthly membership. That said, if I can find a decent one day deal (not incl waterpark, don't think there will be time) I'm good with having to relook at this later in the year (ie: not getting the pass now and just buying tickets for one day at the park).

Again, any help is appreciated..............and, if you're being so generous with info, would love a "best plan of attack" for the park.

If you are going a second time prior to Sept 7 I'd get the fun card, otherwise if you are for sure going again, consider that with two trips worth of parking and admission, you would end up saving you money if you were to purchase the yearly pass. On easy pay it wouldn't be a huge sting out of the monthly budget.

As far as plan of attack, I would focus on the shows, the shark and dolphin area is closed off as they build Discovery Point. The newly refurbished Pacific Point Preserve and accompanying show will likely be a hot ticket item as is of course Shamu. I would plan to arrive about 10-15 minutes before showtime to get a decent seat as on the weekends the early shows at Azul Stadium, Shamu Stadium, and PPP will fill up, (people do tend to bail after 2pm). The big rides open 1 hour after the park opens. Most will rush to the rides when they open, ride a few times, and bounce so don't worry about long waits on Steel Eel or Great White. Your longest lines will be for Journey to Atlantis and the river rapids. The line for the rapids is generally steady, but if you want JTA you might want to hit it close to opening time to avoid waiting for 30-60 minutes.

Other than that, the Smokehouse and Harbor Market both offer great food.

Have a great time, and honk at the protestors!

• 2 weeks later...
I hope next year we get a new coaster were due for one already !

Next year they're opening up the new Dolphin Habitat, however I think that in 2017 the area behind to the shark encounter would make a great area for a Mack launch coaster similar to Manta. They could call it Mako. I don't really see them adding in a huge thrill coaster since the lines for the current two, I've heard don't reach very long waits, plus this could be a good family/thrill coaster if done right. The only thing about calling the coaster Mako would be that they'd probably want to retheme Great White(which frankly it could use since it's pretty lame atm). Just my idea.

• 4 months later...

http://www.seaworldinvestors.com/news-releases/news-release-details/2015/SeaWorld-Entertainment-Inc-Announces-New-Partnerships-and-Business-Initiatives-During-Investor-and-Analyst-Day-Presentation/default.aspx

SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: SEAS), a leading theme park and entertainment company, held the company's Investor and Analyst Day today. The event was also webcast live via the investor relations section of the company's website.

A SeaWorld Animal Rescue-theme ride concept announced in today's SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. Analyst and Investor presentation.

During the presentation, President and Chief Executive Officer Joel Manby shared with investors and analysts a plan to build on the company's strong business fundamentals by evolving the guest experience to align with consumer preferences for experiences that matter -- to learn more about the natural world, the plight of animals in the wild, along with family entertainment and attractions.

The plan includes a new approach to in-park activities as well as greater connection to the company's award winning television programming that highlights SeaWorld Entertainment's world-class veterinary care and animal rescue operations. Other elements of the plan include a more simplified approach to value-based pricing, investment in new attractions, and an ongoing focus on cost control as part of a larger commitment to financial discipline.

In addition, Manby announced several new business initiatives, including partnerships with Panasonic and Evans Hotel Group.

As a part of a multi-year partnership with Panasonic Enterprises Solution Company, Panasonic will become an Official Technology Partner of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment and its Parks. Panasonic Enterprises Solution Company provides advanced technology solutions serving sports, entertainment and retail industries.

"Panasonic is very pleased to be chosen by SeaWorld Entertainment as their new technology partner," said Jim Doyle, President of Panasonic Enterprise Solutions Company. "There are endless possibilities when it comes to adding technology to update and enhance the guest experience throughout all of the parks. Panasonic looks forward to delivering the most cutting-edge technology solutions to impress and amaze."

Manby said after the presentation that a key objective of the Panasonic partnership is to use technology to better connect park guests with animals and the company's 23,000 employees, now known as ambassadors, with the larger goal of inspiring a shift in behavior.

"We hope that experiencing animals in our parks moves our guests to a deeper understanding of the plight of all animals – and an increasingly threatened natural environment -- and inspires those guests to help conserve the world we share," Manby said.

The company also announced Monday that it has signed a letter of intent with Evans Hotels Group to explore development of a resort hotel on SeaWorld's leased land in San Diego. Evans owns and operates well-known resorts and attractions in San Diego County, including The Lodge at Torrey Pines, Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa, the Bahia Resort Hotel and the Bahia Belle and William D. Evans sternwheelers. The Evans partnership is part of SeaWorld Entertainment's strategy to look at opportunities and partners to develop resort properties in or near some of its parks.

"We are delighted to partner with Panasonic and Evans Hotels, companies that have such well-established reputations for quality and innovation," Manby said. "We are excited to begin deploying Panasonic technology solutions to enhance the guest experience in our parks and to explore resort development opportunities on Mission Bay with Evans Hotels."

"Evans Hotels and SeaWorld Entertainment have been pioneers in helping to make Mission Bay the leisure and entertainment destination it is today. Our companies have each served the local community and visitors to San Diego for more than half a century. This project is an exciting opportunity for our iconic brands to join together to create the ultimate resort experience," said Robert H. Gleason, President and CEO of Evans Hotels.

SeaWorld Entertainment's management also announced that the Company's Saturday morning family television programs, Sea Rescue and The Wildlife Docs, have been renewed by Litton Entertainment through summer 2018. The award-winning and Emmy-nominated shows are number one in ratings in their respective Saturday morning timeslots on ABC. The shows document the Company's long-standing commitment to assisting wild animals in need – more than 27,000 to date -- and the sophistication of animal husbandry and veterinary care in its zoological parks.

"Animal rescue is part of what we have always been and a key way we are different from other theme park companies. These shows are part of a larger strategy and we are looking to transform what guests experience in our parks and what the public learns about us," Manby said. "In developing new experiences in our parks we want guests to explore, to be inspired and, ultimately, to act and we feel our parks are uniquely suited to creating meaningful and fun vacations -- experiences that matter.

"The overwhelming majority of adults – nearly 95 percent according to research we have seen -- tell us that they believe that visiting a zoo or aquarium can inspire conservation," Manby said. "We see a growing trend within our core guest demographic that a vacation can and should be more than just fantasy and entertainment. Guests want to know that they're making a difference for the world we share and our parks deliver on that promise."

As part of that commitment, Manby announced the company has initiated production on a new orca presentation for its San Diego park. The new experience will engage and inform guests by highlighting more of the species' natural behaviors. The show will include conservation messaging and tips guests can take home with them to make a difference for orcas in the wild. The current show, One Ocean, will run through 2016.

Manby also provided investors and analysts details of new attraction concepts and seasonal events, including a SeaWorld Rescue-themed roller coaster and the addition of holiday shows and experiences featuring characters from the Christmas classic, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."

A replay of the webcast and the related presentation materials will be available beginning at 12 p.m. Eastern Time on November 10, 2015 via the investor relations section of the company's website at http://www.seaworldentertainment.com.

- See more at: http://www.seaworldinvestors.com/news-releases/news-release-details/2015/SeaWorld-Entertainment-Inc-Announces-New-Partnerships-and-Business-Initiatives-During-Investor-and-Analyst-Day-Presentation/default.aspx#sthash.TWmmEapr.dpuf

171481113_SeaWorldPanasonicPartnership.thumb.jpg.1af4820b079105bfe4de90e63210c2e3.jpg

21166498_SeaWorldRescuejeeps.thumb.jpg.083b8b7f6f4db0bb3d5ee8501286ec67.jpg

The press release and the web conference did not confirm which of the two SeaWorld Rescue dark ride concepts will be added to SeaWorld Orlando and which will be added to SeaWorld San Antonio.

1009809234_SeaWorldRescuesubs.thumb.jpg.2638605f009b67b79b3cac9955838840.jpg

1792508907_SeaWorldResortStrategy1.thumb.jpg.b456ef54adf883be14ac5ba8f155ff66.jpg

1550037189_SeaWorldResortStrategySanAntonio.thumb.jpg.c072664dc27427a9a91efabc62daa236.jpg

1653167133_SeaWorldRudolph1.thumb.jpg.98681bccf1d10a4c9c04b67226f09002.jpg

1049455306_SeaWorldRudolph2.thumb.jpg.f3db7b04e91cf1a66b82575f632a7c24.jpg

1238254351_SeaWorldSanAntonioCapitalPlanning.thumb.jpg.a0b9a2e58cf5a9a55becae7b4b6e2f82.jpg