TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes to ride Steel Eel or Great White. Even when Steel Eel was new, I don't remember it being crowded. I definitely think that Sea World has managed to stay afloat solely because they are marketed as a family-oriented park. That being said, a family coaster would fit in really well there. A clone of Manta (San Diego) would be fun, but I think that a Euro-Fighter would fit in well there, too.

• 3 weeks later...
I really hope that they'll put in a coaster within the next 3 or 4 years. San Antonio is like the red headed stepchild of the Sea World chain. Journey to Atlantis is just a joke compared to the other two JtA rides. Steel Eel and Great White are both good coasters, but with Fiesta Texas right down the road, they simply don't stack up. Aquatica looks like a nice park, but there are 3 other water parks within 30-40 minutes (Schlitterbahn, White Water Bay, & Splashtown) I feel like the park has so much potential but they always get dealt the short end of the stick when it comes to new attractions. I don't understand it, espeically since they have plenty of room to expand.

Everyone always seems to think their park is the one that is alwyas shortchanged. San Diego only had JTA until Manta opened and they don't have a water park. I don't think San Antonio has been short changed.

• 4 weeks later...

I just visited the park Saturday for the Christmas Celebration and it was INCREDIBLE. I took plenty of pictures, so I'm thinking about doing a trip report in the coming days; also, it depends on when my aunt puts her pictures up on her facebook (If she does) considering she has a far nicer camera compared to my iPhone, so I can download some off of her facebook. So be prepared for some iPhone shots!

• 4 months later...

Every time I've been there, including major holidays, the lines for the Steel Eel and the Great White never exceeded 10-15 minutes because, simply, people go for animals, not rides. The line for the Steel Eel is usually shorter. If your going for animals, you're going to have to push and shove a bit but nothing too terrible. The only thing that's crazy is the restaurants. Eat earlier or later. I hope this helps; it was this way on thanksgiving break.

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago my wife and I went to Sea World to process my complimentary fun card. Sea World San Anotnio has complimentary fun cards for all teachers teacher that have a valid certificate and are currently employed. We took our oldest son along with us for his first roller coaster. The weather was great and we enjoyed all the shows and my son loved the ferris wheel and the carousel. We did not get to see much of Aquatica (it was closed). My only complaint is the park closed too early. We had a good time and wished we could have spent more time. I thought I would sahre my son's first roller coaster experience with everyone. Enjoy.

IMG_0252s.jpg.9763119614f86bff0d4ca90b105746ad.jpg

Getting ready to go. He was more interested in trying to read the sign than looking at the camera.

jimrollercoas3.jpg.fc867b7b9f09c56281884e2607efab2b.jpg

First of two laps.

I think SeaWorld is catching quite a bit of flack for it's lack of coasters, but I think that is part of what makes it so charming. However, since we are talking about the prospect of a new coaster, I would absolutely love to see a new Manta themed B&M Wingrider coaster. I really do believe they are intending to do something big with the area formerly occupied by Texas Splashdown...

I think we've moved past the age of "SeaWorld Adventure Park" where roller coasters were the things to add to the lineup. I'd imagine we'll be seeing future additions fall more in line with the two Manta coasters (themed throughout) and Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin, with attractions enveloped in immersive theming with equally themed shopping and dining surrounding.

If anything, I think Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin's potential success will dictate a good deal of the direction the parks will move forward with for future expansions.

However, since we are talking about the prospect of a new coaster, I would absolutely love to see a new Manta themed B&M Wingrider coaster.

No! Please stop requesting parks get "B&M Wing Riders!" Seriously, they are the most boring roller coaster genre to come out since like...ever!!!

Or how bout a GCI Wooden Coaster like Gold Striker, Thunderhead, & White Lightning, I think that would be great for the park to get an GCI Wooden Coaster if possible! But I don't think there's nothing wrong with Texas Splashdown being gone, although it had a little low capacity, not much fun, but not what I meant about TS!

However, since we are talking about the prospect of a new coaster, I would absolutely love to see a new Manta themed B&M Wingrider coaster.

No! Please stop requesting parks get "B&M Wing Riders!" Seriously, they are the most boring roller coaster genre to come out since like...ever!!!

Good to know Robb. I wonder, though, if having that sort of force-less ride experience might be a draw for SW?

^Not at SWSA. It's primary demographics are families with younger children. The two "adult" coasters they have now see very little traffic most of the year and the batman clone is actually pretty good. As such, laying down 20 million for a forceless boring ride would not be a good use of funds. I'd rather see them upgrade their exhibits and habitats before I'd like to see a new ride, that and add some shade. That place gets horrid in the summer.

It may not be a coaster but they really could use a new attraction. My niece used to love to go the park but now she calls it boring. She rather we take her to one of the six flags. You can only feed a dolphin so many times. Someone already posted it earlier, but I too believe the park will perhaps go with a Antarctica dark ride type of attraction. The park needs some kind of new attraction. I know they are planning to add more to the Aquatica water park. The park really has a lot of land that they have not even developed near by.

What they need is an area like what Knott's is currently putting in.

a scrambler, a flyer, and a wild mouse (over water features) would be HUGE hits at Sea World.

Families would love them, and has been said, there is a ton of space at SW in San Antonio for expansion. An area like this could easily be installed and break up the long treks between current exhibits

Heading to South Padre to visit my MIL for Thanksgiving this year and were thinking about maybe taking the kids to SeaWorld San Antonio on the way through. It's been years since I've been. Can we get the whole park done in a day and any idea how the crowds will be during the holiday? Any tips on touring and avoiding long lines? Older DD and I will be riding coasters. DH would ride too but is there a rider swap available for those with young children? TIA!

Heading to South Padre to visit my MIL for Thanksgiving this year and were thinking about maybe taking the kids to SeaWorld San Antonio on the way through. It's been years since I've been. Can we get the whole park done in a day and any idea how the crowds will be during the holiday? Any tips on touring and avoiding long lines? Older DD and I will be riding coasters. DH would ride too but is there a rider swap available for those with young children? TIA!

You can easily get through the park in a day. It might be crowded around Thanksgiving, but I've never been during that time. I know that Thanksgiving at Fiesta Texas isn't very crowded. The coasters rarely have waits. I've never had to wait more than 10-15 minutes to ride them. Steel Eel is a walk on 75% of the time. The animal attractions are what usually get crowded, but it really isn't so bad. I'm not sure about the rider swap thing, I would just call and ask them.