TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Playstation 3 Thread

dylang

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
If the console is "Region Free" for games, I will buy the 60GB USA version in November.

I wouldn't buy it in Europe anyway. Much too expensive.

For example:

20GB

499 euro in Europe

390 - 420 euro in USA (depending on how much sales tax you pay)

330 euro in Japan

I will also add a 500MB HDD (Hard Drive), 60GB is not enough

Rrrright.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in pre-ordering a PS3, I saw this posted on another site:

this was supposedly a Gamestop e-mail

"Limited PlayStation 3 Pre-order

GameStop and EB Games will begin accepting limited pre-orders for the PlayStation 3 console on Tuesday, October 10, on a first come, first served basis. Due to extremely limited supply, we expect to deplete this allocation very quickly, most likely in minutes. We will not accept additional pre-orders at this time. To avoid an unnecessary trip we strongly recommend you call your local store to determine availability. A $100 reservation deposit is required, which can be funded with cash, credit or trade. As we cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, a reservation deposit does not guarantee receipt of a system available to purchase at launch. Reservations/Purchases are limited to 1 per household."

If anyone is interested in pre-ordering a PS3, I saw this posted on another site:

this was supposedly a Gamestop e-mail

"Limited PlayStation 3 Pre-order

GameStop and EB Games will begin accepting limited pre-orders for the PlayStation 3 console on Tuesday, October 10, on a first come, first served basis. Due to extremely limited supply, we expect to deplete this allocation very quickly, most likely in minutes. We will not accept additional pre-orders at this time. To avoid an unnecessary trip we strongly recommend you call your local store to determine availability. A $100 reservation deposit is required, which can be funded with cash, credit or trade. As we cannot control production and shipping issues by the manufacturer, a reservation deposit does not guarantee receipt of a system available to purchase at launch. Reservations/Purchases are limited to 1 per household."

Translation: Let's see if we can't get 100,000 people to front 100 bucks each and we can collect the interest it creates. Sweeeeeet.

I have decided to get an Xbox 360 for Christmas.

I really wanted the PS3, more than the 360, but then I read in a catauloge that had the price of it at £500 to pre-order, just for the console, 1 game and wired controller. I was all, No Way Jose.

Overall, I asked the woman in Game, how much it would cost, she said £415, then £60-80 for the games...it turns it she is right.

All I can think of is that Sony really havent thought this out.....children and teenagers are probably the one that plays Consolse the most. And at £500, their parents are probably not wanting to spend that money. And the kids/teenagers are probably not going to be able to afford it.

• 1 month later...

I still say the only problem with PS3 is there isn't enough of them.

Being a relative gamer, and friend of many gamers, Ill say that the gamer community has a bad habit of critiquing things beyond what they should be. Im not surprised that a lot of gamers are coaster enthusiats because enthusiasts do the same dman thing. "OMG Sony cant let you swoosh your arm around like a sword!! it sucks so bad"! Translation: "I'm a cheap and lazy tool who wants the facade of being a hardcore gamer, but isn't willing to do hardcore things to be able to game."

If I had the money, trust me I would have bought the PS3. I would have camped out and bought the PS3. But I dont so that was a limiting agent. The same thing with the Wii, if I wasn't constantly broke, it would've ben mine. If I had the money I would've camped out for both.Both of them offer the same value to me, they just appraoched their evolutions from different angels. The Wii altered the actual gameplay style, where PS3 updated the quality of the gameplay presentation. PS3 went for specs, Wii went for involvement.

And, although I prefer the Wii, I will admit that I think in the long run PS3 will do better. While the novelty of the Wii control system is awesome, it is just a novelty, and once that sinks in and people become accustomed to it, they'll start preferring the over-all better quality(and quantity) of the PS3. Not to be super nerdy, but compare it to coasters. There are big launched super-insane innovative rides like TTD and X, but a solid, well-done out & back still beats them. There's nothing that innovative about SRoS, is there? But it's just done so well it ranks the highest. Mona Lisa: simple painting, but the technique is flawless. PS3: same general concept, taken to a whole other level.

I got so lucky with the PS3.

My story:

I got to target at about 5:45-6am and stood in line. Being anywhere from #13th-#16th in line, I felt like I had a fighting chance. So we wait, and finally 7:30 rolls around and the manager and everybody comes out and tells us that they only have 8 and that they already reserved em to people who got a spot in line on wednesday. So I just went to school, came home, hung out with some friends, just had a normal friday. After I get home and play some video games for a while, I decide I'm gonna check the sony site one last time to see if they had one. THEY DID, I was so glad.That was the fastest I've ever filled out any kind of order form in my life.

So right now I'm sitting here with my copy of Resistance and an extra controller. They're taunting me right now, just sitting there laughing at me because I'm so impatient and can't wait for this thing to get here.

And, although I prefer the Wii, I will admit that I think in the long run PS3 will do better. While the novelty of the Wii control system is awesome, it is just a novelty, and once that sinks in and people become accustomed to it, they'll start preferring the over-all better quality(and quantity) of the PS3.

Was going to say this over at CS till I had a program side track me.

While that could be true, the same will be with the PS3. All it offers are larger areas to code and more and better graphics. And even though HDTV prices are dropping and more and more people can see it the way its meant, once you see it for a little while, its all the same.

When I first saw Forza Motorsports and Oblivion on HDTV, I was like OMG!! But now that Ive seen GOW, its nothing new - just cooler gameplay. Which is all you can do. The novelty of the graphics will soon wear off because the only improvements the PS3 has are larger areas to include but youve always been able to do that just with smarter coding techniques.

The Wii IMO does something so innovative that for years it wont get old. Because there will be avenues and games that havent been tapped for that type of interactive gameplay and down the road their next system will ONLY need a graphical update which is easy - do like Sony and just pour money into high tech components. Hopefully it wont cost the Arm and Leg youd NEED to play the Wii.

The PS3 is waay overpriced. Plus, it's sad that Sony can't even make enough to keep up with the Wii - it's been out for four days now, and the sales have stopped since yesterday!

It is being torn apart by the Wii. Within 10 hours of the Wii's release, it had already beaten PS3 sales by 20,000 consoles. 7 Hours later? The sales had doubled. Sony plans to sell 2,000,000 units by December 31. Nintendo plans to sell 4,000,000.

(Source: http://nexgenwars.com)

I will not buy a PS3 until that price drops big time.

I've got a PS2 and for the most part, haven't been that thrilled with it. Even with the poor graphics of the PS1, games like Medal Of Honor and MOH underground were more fun then the MOH's for the PS2. On the other hand, racing games were better on the PS2.

I've still got my 3DO and it's games and still play games on it. It was an great system and i more than got my 150.00 bucks out of it. I've also got my Genesis and Atari 2600 and occasionally play those. (nothing quite like the original PitFall played on its original machine. I guess thats like choosing LP's over CD's.)

I think the PS3 will sell, but i think it will have a quick life and die fast.

Sony's losing money on every console they make, Wii, is not. Wii has more than doubled PS3's sales now, so Nintendo is now making more money than Sony off the console. Sony hopes to regain the lost cash in manufacturing the PS3 with software, but, if not many people are buying it, that software will go down the tubes, and possibly put Sony in debt.

They're digging there own grave.

Eh, I dont think the blu-ray has proved anything in comparison to HD-DVD. Thats why I chose on the PS3 launch day to stroll in past the campers and buy a 360 instead.

My whole decision is based on the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war. So far in head to head comparisons, HD-DVD is doing better... Granted its dual layer HD-DVD vs. single layer Blu-Rays in the head to heads Ive seen, and its only doing better by a small margin, but considering the hefty price tag for Blu-Ray you would think it would be significantly better. Anyways that being said, those comparisons could be enough for most people, and it may give the edge to HD-DVD in this format war.

The bottom line for me, Regardless of what format 'wins,' the 360 is not in danger whatsoever, considering all their games are still only being made on the DVD format and there have been no talks of making the games on a Hi Def format... However the same is not said for the PS3 since all their games are going to be made on Blu-Ray disks only, so if Blu-Ray loses you now have a $5-600 paperweight.. or spaceheater.. or whatever you want to call it at that point.

I hope if it came down to it, and Blu-Ray went the way of Betamax, that sony has incorporated some sort of backup that will allow developers to make PS3 games on regular DVDs. I figure I will wait and maybe buy one a year from now. Hopefully we will have an outcome in the format wars, and hopefully news on what the PS3 will be capable of if it doesnt go Blu-Ray's way.

Sony's losing money on every console...

...They're digging there own grave.

Sony lost money on the PS2, and they stayed on top.. I believe the same thing happened with Microsoft on both the Xbox and the 360 and definately microsoft is not hurting. I dont think they are digging their own grave at all. They are a huge corporation. Granted, they may endup screwing up big time with this console, but it wont be the nail in the coffin for sony.

The PS3 is waay overpriced. Plus, it's sad that Sony can't even make enough to keep up with the Wii - it's been out for four days now, and the sales have stopped since yesterday!

It is being torn apart by the Wii. Within 10 hours of the Wii's release, it had already beaten PS3 sales by 20,000 consoles. 7 Hours later? The sales had doubled. Sony plans to sell 2,000,000 units by December 31. Nintendo plans to sell 4,000,000.

Your numbers don't really mean anything at all. Nintendo simply had more units to sell than Sony. Theoretically, if Sony had the same number of units available, it would probably be on the same pace as the Wii. The reason Sony is only planning on selling 2,000,000 units is because they're only able to ship out that many units. The demand is there, the supply isn't.

Besides, It really doesn't matter how well a console does in a one week period, one month period, etc. It's all about the long term buying trend. Sony knew they had a low supply for launch and the PS3 would be gobbled up quickly by hardcore gamers. Nintendo was simply able to manufacture more units. Most casual gamers don't buy a system in the first week or months, they usually wait a year or two. I think a lot of people are smart in that they wait to see what good games will come out for a system, and then buy based on that. I didn't get a PS2 til' 2002, I didn't get a DS until this year.

Come back in November of 2007 and 2008 and see who's sold the most then. That's the real barometer.

I'll be getting both the Wii and PS3, but my guess is that I'll be able to find a Wii first, so I'll end up getting that first. Plus the big downside with PS3 is that there aren't many games available. Once there are some games I'm interested in, then I'll pick it up.

One more thing, a lot of you guys are complaing that the price is too high for a gaming system, but I think it's much more than that. Now, I don't plan on getting blue ray dvd's to replace my already large collection, but I think the PS3 will basically be a computer that you can play games on, listen to music on, download files just like a PC, and watch blue ray dvd's if you want to go that route. So if you factor in all those things, then the price really isn't that bad. I mean, it's not going to be a PS2 with better graphics, I think once it's out for a while and we can actually see the capabilities of it, there will be plenty to offer.

I had my first experience with a PS3 on Friday. I played one at Walmart, and I must say that it did not stand out to me at all. Sure, the graphics are great, but the game I played was laggy. It seemed to me that the system couldn't even handle it. To me, that is just sad. It may be the game, I really don't know, but there is nothing REALLY special about the gaming part other than the better graphics.

And just to add to that, as many have said, there just aren't enough good games for launch. It has left many people in dissapointment, and unless Sony can pick it up, this will be a huge failure. What are the big upcoming titles again? Um...yeah...

Look at the 360. Though it didn't launch with the BEST games, it did pick up the pace, and the PS3 may do the same. There are some differences though. When the 360 was released, people knew about Gears of War, and games of that degree. With the PS3, there may be games that are on the way, but not really any good ones that I know of. Playstation games never really interested me anyway, so I might just be speaking falsely there.

All I know is that it is Wii for mii. (and maybe a 360 next year)