TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Superman: The Escape and Dreamworld's Tower of Terror

Why don't the coasters on Superman: The Escape and Dreamworld's Tower of Terror travel so far up the towers any more? When I went on S:TE back in 2000, it went really far up. I've just looked at recent videos of these two rides and the cars barely made it half way.

Are they simply not launching as fast as they used to, or is the some kind of braking system on the tower, which kicks in to slow the ride earlier?

Was it Intamin who instructed the parks not to launch so far up the towers?

It seems such a shame to have these 400ft towers but not use them fully.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can actually see in one of my video's how high the Tower of Terror Goes, and that was shot last year.

Link: http://www.thrillhistory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124

It was actually going way higher than I was originally anticipating.

And according to the little sign in the Station, the ride was launching at 158KM's (which is pretty close to what it was designed to do).

So In conclusion, I believe the Tower Of Terror is shooting riders at an acceptable level, and I don't have any problems with it.

(P.S) For the video, you need to be a member to download the video.

Whoa, all my years of training are now coming in handy.

For starters, yeah, it's definitely happening, and while guests may see the big red sign down here on the TOT that says "158km/hr", don't forget that a difference of three k's an hour is a huge difference in metres when you're propelling something vertically. Essentially we're looking at anywhere between five and twenty metres difference, but its interesting to note that guests don't actually perceive the large difference of height as you would from afar due to the pod's seating structure.

While there's about a million different factors involving the gradual decline in speed on both roller-coasters, the major contributor is ageing. I'm sure plenty people here know about the backup magnetic braking systems behind the station incase something happens to the main brakes, well anyway, with more of a gradual decrease over time with the ride's sensory stability, more and more e-brakes become mainplace with the ride due to the way the PLC systems work. With that in mind, it's far easier for the parks to decrease the speeds of the pods (in a nutshell) and make it easier for the computers to calculate the magnetic fluxes and the likes needed at certain points in the ride.

Hope that helps.

^^Thanks, that's really helpfull.

The reason I knew it was happening because I went on S:TE in 2000 and have a photo of it really high up the tower...when I saw it running in 2004, it made it only around half way.

I also remember a news report about Tower of Terror when it first opened showing the cars go nearly to the top. I checked out some videos on Youtube yesterday and they seemed to go just over half way.

The ageing theory does make sense though. I guess another explanation may be that the parks are simply trying to save on electricity costs as these rides consume a huge amount.

Nah, running costs are actually really cheap. In terms of per run, you're looking at about $50-90 AUS for about 2 megawatts of power needed during the launch, which isn't something parks need to worry about, especially ones which are rolling in as much dough as SFMM and Dreamworld are.

I will say for the record though, with an empty load you can still tap the magnetic brakes at the top of the tower. I had the opportunity to ride a few times by myself early 2005 and it was definitely a more forceful and amazing experience; the additional 30 or so metres makes it go from "a pleasent view" to "WTF am I doing up this high with just a lapbar?"

Ahhh... The Famed Bog Area, Ben, I have also tapped the Brakes once when i had 6 other People in the POD First Thing in the morning. Nothing like 5 rides in front row without having to get off

Also that little light that has the Speed isn't working YET AGAIN. I dont think they have broken the Exit elevator... Yet.

July 17th 06, slightly over half way up the tower on superman. Not sure but I agree the ride has to be running slower. I know in 99 we where just short of the trims.

I know at Cedar Point MF has a history of trying different wheels, and some of them have dropped the speed noticeable "cough roll back on the island 02 before opening, but in defense it was also cold that morning".

They do that to find hardware that lasts longer so who knows maybe they have been trying different materials?

Cheers!

Pfft, if anyone in Australia I'd be the only one who will happilly answer your questions about Tower of Terror.

Momentum plays a small part, but again its a result of the decrease in the ride's launch models keeping the ride with a full load safe. Of course it's going to be faster with a static cycle, but then again we don't have the extra 1050kg average of passengers loaded.

^HAHA...sorry if this sounds nasty Slick...but you have built yourself up as a self confessed Dreamworld Fan (which we know you are). But as I read your post on page one, something did not seem right...error in buttons I think.

Just for the record, the Tower of Terror uses 2.2Megawatts of power during the launch...not 2kw as you mentioned before, as that is about what my toaster uses. As I said, incorrect buttons used, but I could not help myself.

Haha yeah, sorry, knew that didn't sound quite right, but alas 2.2mw, or as the ads say... "enough to power a small town for 10 seconds." By the way, the actual cost of 2.2 megawatts in Brisbane currently is actually around $80 Australian according to today's reports, but yeah, considering Dreamworld is on par and does exceed Disneyland in terms of its unbelievable public relations department (even though some other departments such as ride maintenance lack) it's not hard to call such a nice place a second home in alot of aspects.