TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: 10-year-old girl dies at SF Great America

http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=217432

Authorities say she had a history of heart trouble

BY SARA FAIWELL

Daily Herald Staff Writer

Posted Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A 10-year-old Arlington Heights girl who had a heart condition died Wednesday after getting off a ride at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee.

Around 6:18 p.m., the girl collapsed in the Yukon Territory section of the park. She was visiting the theme park with her 63-year-old grandmother and cousins.

Witnesses said she had just exited from a ride in the Camp Cartoon Network area of the park, possibly the Spacely's Sprocket Rockets roller coaster.

She was running to rejoin family members when she suddenly collapsed. It was later learned that the girl had a history of heart trouble. Her name is not being released, pending the notification of family members.

Gurnee fire department paramedics and police responded to the scene. They found the girl in full cardiac arrest, and she was later transported to Condell Medical Center in Libertyville.

Doctors there pronounced her dead about 7:15 p.m., according to police.

"It's been tough for us, and our thoughts and prayers are certainly with the family," said park spokesman Jim Taylor.

Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said the girl's autopsy will be Thursday.

"She did have a known history of heart and medical problems, so likely her death was a natural death," he said.

Police said there is no foul play suspected, and any further investigations will be handled by the county coroner's office.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is sad, could you imagine losing a little girl like that? Why aren't people reading the signs? Do they need to go back school or something?

I'd also like to know what a 'heart condition' is exactly and what happens to the heart and why... is there an article or something?

What makes it so sad is that she was running to her friends and family. Just imagine like your friend running to you or someone close and then just collapsing dead....

It also makes me wanna scream, listen to those little signs that say don't ride if you have this this or this.

Still, very tradgic and sad.

the ride wasnt the problem, it was just that point and time that her heart went out. It probably was more affected by her running to catch up w/ her family than riding that little thing. The whole incident was totally random, the ride IMO had nothing to do with her demise.

Of course, half of americas gonna believe the opposite...

I would figure, the excitment of riding the roller coaster and probably the excitment of being at an amusement park are the contributing factors.

I would also figure that a heart condition ---- would be affected by the various chemicals the body releases as you enjoy riding rides or other things. Which would contribute to well a heart attack. A flood of indorphins or even adrenaline can cause the heart to race which inturn if she had a heart condition would complicat things. So figure the excitment of the ride running to see grand ma, a warm summer day, maybe alittle dehydration and a pump of adrenaline. Even though the coaster is small. Think about when you were 10 years old. Just going an a ferris wheel or a carosel is exciting to some.

Just a few rumblings of my opinion.

Now had she had the heart attack on the coaster itself then most likely the coaster would be to blame even though it is the tamest coaster on the planet! But Johnny Upsidedown pretty much has it all right. I believe all that factored into her heart attack. But also she could just as well of been at a city park running around at a playground and it of happened aswell.

I think this is sad, could you imagine losing a little girl like that? Why aren't people reading the signs? Do they need to go back school or something?

I'd also like to know what a 'heart condition' is exactly and what happens to the heart and why... is there an article or something?

Usually, people don't know about heart conditions until something happens.

Wow, this is sad...What type of coaster was it? It sounds like it was in a kiddie area, so was it a kiddie coaster? How many times is this going to happen before people start to learn...

I highly doubt the coaster had anything to do with her death, except raise her adrenaline a little. Or maybe it was the running to her friends and family that did her in? Either way, I'm pretty sure this was going to happen sooner or later by the sounds of it, unfortunately it happened at a very inconvenient time for the family where everyone is suppose to be having fun.

Obviously you didn't see in the article where it said the girl had a history of heart trouble. People with a "history" of any medical condition do indeed know about it. That's how a history is established.

An example from my own family. My mother was a big coaster fan until she had neck surgery a few years back. She has titanium pins in her neck now, and although her neck is structurally stronger than before her surgery (even stronger than in its natural state), she really doesn't ride much anymore, if at all. Why? Because she pays enough attention to her own health to know that there's the chance, however slight, that something could go wrong.

The point? She knows the condition exists, just like in this case. This is a truly sad situation, but in most of the other cases this year, those conditions were unknown. Unfortunately in this case, it seems (at least according to the article) that the condition was known and ignored.

Obviously you didn't see in the article where it said the girl had a history of heart trouble. People with a "history" of any medical condition do indeed know about it. That's how a history is established.

An example from my own family. My mother was a big coaster fan until she had neck surgery a few years back. She has titanium pins in her neck now, and although her neck is structurally stronger than before her surgery (even stronger than in its natural state), she really doesn't ride much anymore, if at all. Why? Because she pays enough attention to her own health to know that there's the chance, however slight, that something could go wrong.

The point? She knows the condition exists, just like in this case. This is a truly sad situation, but in most of the other cases this year, those conditions were unknown. Unfortunately in this case, it seems (at least according to the article) that the condition was known and ignored.

I tend to skim sometimes... but in most cases, that's what the problem is. I don't feel as sorry for the family, then.

Andrew "The signs are there for a reason!" C.