TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Cranger kirmis - The fair in Herne, Germany

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've got a curious question for our european friends. Regarding German fairs, how do your "carnies" (or traveling fair workers/employees) rate in terms of....um, let's see...."social status?" I guess there's really no easy way of putting it. I tried to be as gentle as possible, but basically, I'm trying to picture American "carnies" putting Euro Star together. And honestly, I'm pretty frightened by that thought.

Here in the states, the "traveling fair workers," or "carnies" as we call them, are not the most desirable people to be around if you catch my drift. Many times, they resemble homeless individuals, haven't showered in days or weeks, and on some occasions are even drunk while operating rides.

I'm pleading ignorance on this one, which is why I ask, is the situation involving your workers different than what we are used to over here, or is it pretty much the same situation worldwide?

Scott "man, I hope that didn't appear too insensitive" B.

Euro Ouch isn't really that rough, people just expect Intamin. It would be awful if it had hard restraints but it doesn't. Plus, those turns are just crazy.

Schwartzkopf: shvorts-copf, shwarts-kapf, depends on who says it, lol.

Beemerboy: European carnies are very clean. From what I can recall, they are generally smartly-dressed, and very, very, very, very, very, very efficient. They practically throw you onto the Wildwasserbahn III boats and nigh on rip you out of them. They're also friendly if you don't get pushy. They are practically the complete opposite of American carnies.

coaster i do not know if its my computer but i can't seee these photos on the 3rd page

I don't know if it's your computer, but I can see all the photos i've uploaded to this site.

The only problem is that they are loading a little slowly right now.

Hey there Coastered, I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded the photos to the TPR server. This has been such a GREAT Photo TR (both yours and Wishmasters) and since it's on the front page, that has a habit of killing some people's bandwidth!!!

Great stuff!!!

--Robb

Wow, That wasa great TR thru a lot of great flats and rides.

Our annual fair (The Pacific National Exhibition a/k/a The PNE) is opening this coming weekend with (count'em) 50+ rides into the two week Midway during the fair itself.

Tho after seeing this stuff, makes me wonder what the heck they'd ever be able to add to the (already) feeble mix that passes for a seasonal amusement centre - hah.

And I'm gettibng a combo entrance pass and ride pass (our seasonal pass gives us squat during the fair - woo hoo) for one day the fair and the rides.

Here's hoping, on the 30th. Thanks for sharing all the great photos of your visits to the fairs.

I rerad that in Europe there is great tradition with the fairs and that why they make lots of efforts every time.

You should visit the Munich Ocktoberfest - it is like a giant theme park fool of great rides, happy people, food and big big big glasses of beer.

You can spend hours on Ocktober fest as this is a big place.

As there is a big competition between ride owners, every ride is packed with light effects, good music and sometimes a live DJ that turns the ride area into amini-Rave.

Why is everyone talking about the fairs in Europe? Are you talking about the fantastic fairs in Norway with a Waltzer and a Magic Carpet as its main rides? From what I have heard, the only fairs that can compete with German fairs when it comes to flatrides, are the largest fairs in the UK, which makes me wonder about all this talk about European fairs when its basically only 2 countries...

Great pictures btw! I would LOVE to ride some of those coasters!

Great photos!

And yes there was a fair by me with a Schwarzkoph looper. The fair was called the Westchetser County Fair. It was a double looper, just like the Laser. The fair also had a traveling Intamin drop tower. It was an EXREMELY large fair. Unfortunately I dont think this fair has continued and I was too little to ride these rides.

^The drop tower at that fair was most likely an italian design. I think Moser makes those transportable freefall rides. Intamin doesn´t build them for the fairgrounds. (Even EuroTrashStar is actually built by Giovanola and not Intamin)

The heydays of german fairs are somehow over. During the 7ts and 8ts Schwarzkopf and Huss built the real jawdroppers but since the mid 9ts it became stagnant and lots of great rides are vanishing.

France has really amazing and large fairs. Especially the Foir du Trone in Paris is a real highlight.