TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How can you afford all these trips?

robbalvey

hey R&E are you guys going out of town for thanksgiving? i bet you guys do with your familys living out of state it gets expensive this time of yearand the security lines are a pain. My family is on a tight budget too mom gets ssi death benifites from my stepfather who died of colon cancer 6yrs ago you guys to have a good formula for saving money i might just print it out and see if it helps a bit anyway happy holidays to the both of you and see you at sixflags down the road

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Rob and Elissa, what you said is sooo true. I'm often asked at work "Man, how do you get the money to buy so much stuff?" It's hilarious that they don't take a good look at how long I've had a vast majority of my stuff. I make sacrifices all the time. I never leave the faucet running for 10 minutes just to brush my teeth. I never leave the TV on unless I'm actually WATCHING TV! But then, I watch less than 2 hours a WEEK. I am not kidding. I never run the dishwasher just to wash two cups and one plate (why people do this I never know). I never sleep with half the lights in my house on (you'd be surprised how many in my neighborhood do this!). I don't smoke or drink. If I eat out, I ALWAYS refill that cup and save it for tomorrow. I probably eat out only 2-3 times a week. I'm not kidding. Everyone else at work eats out almost all the time and I'm used to the shocking reaction "You brought your lunch?!" Excuse me but I need to stop and laugh my ass off for a few minutes...

Okay, now I'm back to normal!

And here's the kicker: got a car? Keep it running as long as you friggin possibly can. I mean, I drove my Jeep until it went totally kaput. It was in my family for almost 12 years! NOBODY but my retired uncle in Florida has kept a car as long as I have. Meanwhile, everyone else at work celebrates a pay raise or promotion by splurging on a new car! Got a cell phone? Keep it until it breaks! Shop around for the lowest price on gas. Get a frequent shopper card from every single grocery store in town. It saves you on the fuel costs so you don't have to drive clear across town to save some money. Did I mention that everyone at work always has a new cell phone every year! I ignore their laughs at how old and bland my cell phone is and am secretly laughing my ass off when they complain about their paychecks.

And they all act shocked when they see how much I have after paying off all my debts! Again, I find it hilarious that they're amazed how much one can save if you're careful. I pretty much expected an explanation similar to yours Robb. And yes, I Ebay stuff every so often. And yes, I always save up my paid vacation time and use after the company threatens to revoke it. Everyone else (you guessed it!) takes 2-3 day mini-vacations every other month! WTF? No wonder they're outraged that my vacations last an average of 2-3 WEEKS, not 2-3 days! No wonder they're in shock when they see how much they make at the end of the year!

Well Robb and Ellisa Im just asking this cuss Im curious.

It said on the list smoke. Do you. Cuss if u do I be saaad

My dad smoked and it ruined his life. one word DEVORCE.

If u were being sarcastick or I just dont get the thread I apoligize.

Elissa, just let me know if you need any counseling..Ok?

I suppose you would also have a heap of frequent flyer points too. Do they take much time to build up?

I know that you're fairly particular with your food, Elissa... does this make it hard to save money in this sense or is it just a matter of buying no-frills ingredients?

Yeah FF Miles are nice...and Robb gets a bunch of them from his work travels too.

As for food. Luckily most of what I eat at home is pretty cheap. Mac and cheese, rice, pasta, etc.

When out on the road, we mostly eat fast food, again pretty cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am new to posting but this topic really interested me. I love finance and of course I work in the financial industry. Fo any one who seems to always ask "Why can't I afford that?", Robb gave the best advice ever!! 90% of being broke is credit card debt and 5% is an auto payment. Think about it. Why do we insist on having a new car every few years? It is one of the few investments you will spend thousands and thousands of dollars on, and in about 5 years is woth almost nothing. We only like our new cars for a few years anyway and then we get tired of them and buy new ones. The average car payment is about $376.00 today in America. If you were to invest that same amount of money in an average mutual fund for 15 years, you would be a millionare!! That's right guys for just 15 years of your life not having that new car, you would be able to buy the one you really wanted!

For those of us who have lots of credit card debt, it's going to be really hard, but STOP using them and cut them up. You HAVE to put yourself on a WRITTEN budget. If you don't keep track of where your money is going, how can you save any of it? My advice, as a loan officer, (not that any one asked for it) is to list all of your debts except your mortgage from smallest to largest. Make just the minimum payment on all of them except the smallest. Pay as much as you can on the smallest debt until you have paid it off! You continue this process over and over until you are debt free. Do not consolidate your loans as this just moves the debt to a different debtor, you still have the same problem. Don't tell my employer I said that! You have to be committed to doing this or it will not work. There are no easy ways to do it, shortcuts, or get rich techniques that will work, just your desire to be debt free.

If we just do without some of the things that we get tired of anyway, we would all be rich by age 33. That would be great!

Sorry for sounding like an infomercial, but I think that without even trying, Robb gave the best advice you will ever here. Just think how little stress you would have with nothing but a mortgage payment, which you could and should pay off quickly if you have no other payments.

Again, if I sound like an infomercial or motivational speaker, please excuse me. I just get a little excited about finance

As of this moment I have the least amount of bills since I was like 18 years old, however I will have to get into a new car soon as my 1999 VW Jetta with 240,000 miles life is sadly coming to an end,pretty much everything is breaking on it but it just keeps on running and honestly running WELL.I swear on the Hwy it drives almost as good as when it was new.I really believe the car would probably drive itself from Miami to Orlando after all the trips it's taken.But I refuse to spend over $200 on any repairs and right now the A/C compressor works but it's so old that when I use the A/C sometimes it makes the car stall.So a used compressor for $450 or a new one for $900 is out of the question, and I live in S.Fla, so come June it's A/C or bust.So new car payment here I come!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, Omg, I wish I could do that.

I spend money like there is no tomorrow.

Shopping-

Abercrombie & Fitch where a Polo is $50 and Jeans are $80

Hollister where a Polo is $30 and Jeans are $40

Lacoste where a sweater is $130

Food-

This is where I'm lucky lol

Subway!

Electronics-

New releases, but I have to admit I got into Bookmans a few weeks ago and the prices are great.

Ipod

Camera's

Ugh I spend to much.

Show me the way!

• 3 weeks later...

I live a simple life... Of course, I still live with my parents... But I don't do unessaccery spending. I kinda make a little rule for myself: Never get anything unless I have what it costs times ten.

Plus, I don't smoke, nor drink, and rare occations I go out for pizza (or any fast food). Only if I'm with friends or happen to get hungry when I'm far from home.

And when I go out and my wallet is empty, I take out no more than 400.- (~$50) or so (no Visa yet). Unless I'm going somewhere I know I'm gonna spend alot of money (ei Theme Park ).

You know, there is this show on TV called Lyx Fällan (Luxury Trap) where two people go to someone who seems to be in a bit of an economy fix and has no idea why... They collect the items in the home, ask the person what their shopping habits are like, and not until then do they realize what they've done with their money. Now, this is only in Sweden. Wonder if there are any anywhere else?

/Edward

• 4 weeks later...

I wish i could be that cost effective. I am a huge spender but only on stuff i really want or need. For example i wont spend 10 dollars on something That i will never touch or that i don't want/need. i love to shop for electronics and anything sports related. I wish i could save up 2,200 dollars for a deposit and spot on the 2007 midwest usa tour but i would need 220 weeks/4.23076923 years.

I better start saving!

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not over use the smilies.

This explanation makes good sense. I've always known this is possible if you live moderately and I plan to do something similar once I graduate college.

However, this has prompted a followup question from me, because I always assumed you guys were already retired and had a lot of time.

Followup Question: If you each hold full time management type jobs, how are you guys able to get so much time off to go on these trips? Especially when you both must get the same days off?

Oh, by the way, hello! I'm new here. My home turf growing up was Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara, CA... I currently attend Web Development college in Arizona, and I'm 23 years old. I've been a long time lurker on this site though and with a lot of the content moving to the forums I was compelled to signup!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't come across this thread until now and I would just like to say wow. I hope when I finally get married, my wife will want to do this because I'm defenitly up for it. Traveling all over the world to ride amazing roller coasters sounds amazing!

---Brent

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Robb, I'm glad to see you found a normal girl that isn't obsessive over her nails or if her purse is $500. Good job.

Now if only I could meet a girl like that.

I plan to get a part time job while I'm still in school so I can afford to go on one of your trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to hear the sacrifices that Robb and others have to make to be able to travel to all these parks. But its all worth it in the end, especially the enjoyment people get.

Know I know I'm not the only one struggling to get the cash to go to parks. I usually get paid overtime from work and use this money for theme parks and also travel the cheapest option, stay in the worse places just to have a bit of money for the parks. Also like Robb said not buying merchandise helps.

But fingers crosses one day, I will be able to afford to go on one of the TPR's.