Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

Since Swishtime101 asked I checked the building permits for Valleyfair and they do have a new building permit valued at $30,000 for 'FOOTING & FOUNDATION ONLY - New shop addition on Maint Bldg' which is in the description.  So it is an addition to the exiting maintenance shed and the foundation should be poured soon.  Assuming more permits for the actual building show up later this month or next.  ***WARNING: Queue up speculation of WHY would you need more maintenance space.......unless you're getting more ride(s)/attractions thread. :lol: ***

It is interesting that in the first 30 years of the park they added 8 coasters (current) and 2 that are gone (Wild Rails and Mild Thing) along with the old Flume. But in the last 14 years since the Paramount acquisition investment for bigger projects like this has drastically declined. My question is CF using the smaller parks profit (MiA, VF, WOF, Dorney) to expand the bigger parks where there is bigger bang for the investment to pay off the Paramount debt? (this makes sense). Or did they adopt a new smaller park strategy at that time also regardless of debt?  I hope it is the former because at least there then is hope they will get back to the small parks eventually.  Like any business you have to spend money to make money and that means new big and exciting attractions at least once a decade or so to bring people in or get them to come back if you want growth in your revenue.  I am old enough to remember when Silver Dollar City and Dollywood were small parks in the 80's like VF but then just kept building little by little with smart ride choices and look at them now.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just thinking devil's advocate here, more maintenance space would allow them to have more things done simultaneously, which would help with a faster offseason turnaround, which in turn would be beneficial for Winterfest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, RCjunkie said:

Since Swishtime101 asked I checked the building permits for Valleyfair and they do have a new building permit valued at $30,000 for 'FOOTING & FOUNDATION ONLY - New shop addition on Maint Bldg' which is in the description.  So it is an addition to the exiting maintenance shed and the foundation should be poured soon.  Assuming more permits for the actual building show up later this month or next.  ***WARNING: Queue up speculation of WHY would you need more maintenance space.......unless you're getting more ride(s)/attractions thread. :lol: ***

It is interesting that in the first 30 years of the park they added 8 coasters (current) and 2 that are gone (Wild Rails and Mild Thing) along with the old Flume. But in the last 14 years since the Paramount acquisition investment for bigger projects like this has drastically declined. My question is CF using the smaller parks profit (MiA, VF, WOF, Dorney) to expand the bigger parks where there is bigger bang for the investment to pay off the Paramount debt? (this makes sense). Or did they adopt a new smaller park strategy at that time also regardless of debt?  I hope it is the former because at least there then is hope they will get back to the small parks eventually.  Like any business you have to spend money to make money and that means new big and exciting attractions at least once a decade or so to bring people in or get them to come back if you want growth in your revenue.  I am old enough to remember when Silver Dollar City and Dollywood were small parks in the 80's like VF but then just kept building little by little with smart ride choices and look at them now.    

 

The maintenance shop is still the original building from 35+ years ago, they have talked about expansion or moving it to build a bigger one since I worked in the physical plant 25 years ago, I’m sure it has nothing to do with rides etc they have been bursting at the seams for many years it’s just overdue. You’re right the acquisitions they made I think did change the priority of the lower parks investments  unfortunately but they do need to invest to sustain the business, it’s true of any business or retail chain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They also just announced that they are looking forward to a bigger and better Grand Carnivale in 2022.  I hope that's not all they do next year but it probably is.  Now is the time to search the grounds for any survey markings.  If they do plan to add a new attraction next year they would need to start building soon.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2021 at 6:44 AM, garyman6 said:

They also just announced that they are looking forward to a bigger and better Grand Carnivale in 2022.  I hope that's not all they do next year but it probably is.  Now is the time to search the grounds for any survey markings.  If they do plan to add a new attraction next year they would need to start building soon.  

They also posted something saying "Now that the party is over, stay tuned for your regularly scheduled coaster content." Maybe they'll be doing something else on top of GC next year? How much does something like GC actually cost to put on? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 8:36 PM, Donomike05 said:

Valleyfair has really upped their teasing this year. 93 coaster emojis…93 foot raptor confirmed😈😈

56B38243-4376-4665-A29E-9C8882A04AC1.png

A little old but since we know Kings Dominion is getting a coaster next year…could this be a hint at the 2 parks getting a coaster next year??

408555E2-34CB-461E-B40F-66133C308324.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could sit and hope all dang day that something is coming out our way. Could they be teasing? Sure. Could it be trolling? Absolutely. Until we see some permits filed, track showing up, or an RMC rep sneaking around, I'd say it's probably too early to tell. 
#stillwaitingforourinvert

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope this isn't pure boredom to drum up excitement... but it is. Worlds of Fun has taught me a lesson in excitement. There is none.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think its purely boredom. I'm beyond believing that Valleyfair will add anything substantial after 2020 and 2021 which I sincerely believe hurt the park. They're not gonna give us a coaster when they can't even staff the food stands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking through the Haunt site for this year and noticing a few (perhaps expected) changes. Firstly, they cut back October operating hours (Friday stays 7-Midnight, Saturday 2-11, Sunday Noon-6). I can't say I'm surprised by that move but it does seem a little strange that Cedar Fair is cutting back some parks (Like VF and Dorney having 11pm closings) but expanding others (CP/WOF being open Thursdays). Second, they cut a maze (Cornstalkers) and the scarezone by Renegade, but everything is planned to be up for operation. Likely a good move; better to have good staffing on fewer things than poor staffing on many, as far as haunts go. Finally, looks like there's no show in the Galaxy theatre this fall which is a bit of shame since that was a nice way to warm up on colder nights.

Other than those couple things, it looks like everything else will be staying the same and it'll be a relatively complete event. I'm also happy that they're keeping weekend September operations even though there won't be Haunt during those periods. I don't expect to be able to get to VF this fall but those autumn days at the park are always my favorite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The park officially announced what they're doing next year. Here's the link...

https://www.valleyfair.com/blog/2021/august/2022-brings-new-excitement-and-improvements-to-valleyfair?ltclid=ed5470ba-2021-4007-83b1-99905bb4a4ae

Hopefully when they renovate Coasters they will add on to it to increase capacity. That place is always so crowded during meal hours. 

The new bar is an exciting addition. Whenever I would walk by superior stage, it would always be crowded so maybe they will also change up the area a little bit to help with foot traffic.

Meanwhile I am very excited to see what the new Halloween celebration is they are talking about. Valleyscare is always a large money magnet for VF so it's exciting to see Cedar Fair recognizing this. Curious if this involves moving around Haunt mazes located behind high roller to other locations in the park in order to make room for coaster supports. Now that VF can build above 300 feet, I would love to see a giga over there. Will it ever happen though, most definitely not unfortunately.

Overall I'm not too disappointed as I knew Covid would really affect Cedar Fair parks, specifically VF. However, I do wish they were doing more if this was a year reserved only for general improvements. I would've loved to see more renovated bathrooms or new smaller food venues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, Swishtime101 said:

So absolutely zero reason to renew my current Platinum Pass or even get a Gold Pass just for VF next year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RCjunkie said:

So absolutely zero reason to renew my current Platinum Pass or even get a Gold Pass just for VF next year. 

So basically the same situation as ever year in the past, when you (presumably) did renew your pass?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

So basically the same situation as ever year in the past, when you (presumably) did renew your pass?

Correct. In the past I would at least buy a Gold Pass to support the park with visits  if I did not have a Platinum pass because I was not visiting any other CF parks that year. But after this announcement of no real new attractions and no plans to visit any other CF parks next year there is just no reason for me to get exited or support the park like I did in the past with a pass purchase.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, this is a great update for 2022 compared to what will inevitably be WoF's! I am anticipating their "New for 2022: Refreshed Flower Beds!!!" announcement any day now....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RCjunkie said:

 In the past I would at least buy a Gold Pass to support the park

😂🤣

Dang, what will they do without your support?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, boldikus said:

😂🤣

Dang, what will they do without your support?

I'm more curious what "major additions" they've done in the past decade to earn @RCjunkie's support in the past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I want a new ride, and as much as I hate to say it, swishtime101 and valleyfairfanatic are right. Covid lockdown was a complete loss of 2020 plus all the basic expenses of taxes, some upkeep, full time employees, and Cedar Fair debt to boot.... 2021 helped, but VF had major staffing issues and only open a fraction of their normal schedule. 

Realistically I didn't expect too much for new rides this year. Part of me was thinking, yeah, buy a big coaster now before inflation hits (or prices are already up).  But really, if there was ever a time I didn't expect anything, this year is it. Honestly, I'm hoping for their normal operating hours next year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The park did leave open the possibility that there may be more coming.  This is the last statement on their announcement.  I could see a new flat ride coming in 2022.

Quote

Our team is already looking forward to a wonderful 2022 season and these are just a few of the many improvements and changes you can expect to see around the park next year! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2021 at 5:06 AM, garyman6 said:

The park did leave open the possibility that there may be more coming.  This is the last statement on their announcement.  I could see a new flat ride coming in 2022.

 

I wouldn't get to optimistic. I'm thinking these other things hinted at are just general improvements. Any new permits tho? XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/