TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

^

At Cedar Point, they had several monster trucks on display on the stretch of midway between Valravn and Iron Dragon, and guests were also able to ride in a monster truck, which took place across the street from that midway on a plot of land that had formerly been occupied employee dorms. No extra seating/bleachers were set up that I can remember. I can see Valleyfair displaying some trucks along the main midway near The Wave and Corkscrew, while using the former Dinos land for the truck rides.

• 2 weeks later...

In case you haven't seen it, Bloomington approved the zoning and building plans for the MOA water park early this week. The high res drawings are available at;

https://agendasuite.org/iip/bloomington/file/getfile/71041

Looks cool, but almost a little underwhelming compared to West Edmonton (same owner), which seems to be a lot taller.

I'm not sure how that all comes into play with Valleyfair's plans, but it's a nice visual of what the competition is doing (or at least wants to) 15 miles away.

If they play it right Valleyfair could make theirs more unique/different keeping a edge, and still possibly play off the same customer base.

The new waterpark is actually comparable to West Edmonton and American Dream in square footage. The main difference is that the wave pool is split in two. Possible reasons might be closing one side on slow days, not having to close the entire thing in the even of a "guest illness" or running different wave programs on different sides. American dream looks to have more lazy river while MOA will have more space for lounge chairs, something that's always an issue at Valleyfair.

VF consistently ranks toward the bottom of the CF attendance...and a 20 million B&M won’t solve that. Accept it! Seriously, go to MOA or go to the Dells or Great America. Valleyfair is basically a small pedestal above Michigan’s Adventure.

Edited by Looty

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I may be completely wrong but as I was checking over my season pass status on VF's website I noticed that my season pass expires on 1/3/2021, instead of the usual date which would be 12/31/2020, and I could not help but notice that this would also be when Winter Fest would typically end leading me to believe I am probably wrong, but VF could be getting Winter Fest this year.

^^

Is your season pass a Gold or Platinum Pass? If it’s Platinum, this could just be to allow you to visit Winterfest events at other Cedar Fair parks. Either way, it would be great if Valleyfair started hosting Winterfest, though I don’t see them running any coasters since MN’s temperatures in late November and December are normally not high enough to support running coasters.

Yeah I wouldn't read into that post either, seems like pretty standard language for bringing in a new season.

https://www.valleyfair.com/explore/calendar-and-hours Hmmmmm, December 2020 listed on the calendar!? wonder what that could be (Winterfest maybe)

This excites me though because in previous years they've only shown months with operating dates. Like yeah I know Winterfest in Minneapolis is a genuinely absurd idea and I shouldn't read into this, but if Toronto can do it I guess it's not that much more insane to have it in MN?

I'd love to see Winterfest at VF, and if it does end up happening I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I feel like I can't reasonably expect or even hope for such an event considering how cold it gets here in mid-late December (I mean it rarely gets above 30°F)

Maybe I’m thinking about this too deeply? But does anyone else find it odd they say “More Awesome is coming” and post a 15 second long video just to announce opening day?

Look at how its worded though! "More awesome coming in 2020 AND opening day is right around the corner." It's two separate things IMO! I guess we will see. Also, it is interesting that they do have November and December on the Calendar. In the past they have only listed the months in which the had operating days so it does make one wonder if the "More Awesome" is going to be Winterfest. I'm sure they are looking at the feasibility of it and if it doesn't make sense then they won't do it but this way they can if the top brass give the go ahead.

https://www.valleyfair.com/explore/calendar-and-hours Hmmmmm, December 2020 listed on the calendar!? wonder what that could be (Winterfest maybe)

This is undoubtedly strange, but I think they usually announce Winterfest a bit over a year in advance.

PS: After seeing what they did in Wonderland If they bring the event to Minnesota I not fully expect that there will be absolutely zero coasters open but the lights will be pretty and if you're hurting for a coaster you can just pop in the mall on the way home I guess.

Pipe scream wouldn't open at a winterfest as KI doesn't have Surf Dog open. But... hypothetically, VF would most likely have scrambler, flying scooters, antique cars, train, renegade, 1/2- 3/4 of the snoopy rides, the carousel, and probably the bumper cars running. Maybe up to 15 rides or so. However.... I can't think of enough indoor theater space, (other than Galaxy) though to hold large masses of people. Even in Cincinnati Ohio where it's not as cold as up there people try to get indoors after a while. I know wonderland has some decent indoor space.

Edited by John Peck