TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

It's a little bit early but I'm already thinking about what Valleyfair might be adding in 2019. As much as I would like to see a new coaster open, I think we're still a few years away from that. Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland both adding a large coaster in 2019 has pretty much been confirmed, and I doubt that Cedar Fair will be opening three coasters in one year right after they added four coasters in 2018. I would also like to see Valleyfair add in a dark ride, but it seems like Cedar Fair isn't interested in adding dark rides anymore. In the past four years Valleyfair has added a waterpark expansion, a family ride, an in between a family and thrill ride (Northstar), and a thrill ride (Delirious.) I'm guessing that Valleyfair will be doing a two phase water park expansion. Starting in 2019 I think they will close Looping Starship since it's unpopular, very similar to Delirious, and right next to the waterpark. I think they'll add in some tube slides in Looping Starship's place and announce that Excalibur is closing towards the end of the year. In 2020 they will add in a parking lot, a new entrance, and also a name change to Soak City to be themed more towards Minnesota. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a new coaster in 2021, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're going to be waiting quite a bit longer for a large scale coaster. The other possibility would be doing a makeover of the games area. They recently finished transforming the awkward midway area into Route 76, and the games area could definitely use some updating. I think they will could add in some flat rides geared toward families and retheme the area. I could see them doing something similar to Candy Apple Grove at Kings Dominion. That's just my idea, what do you guys think Valleyfair has instore for 2019?

^ That's honestly some pretty spot-on and reasonable predictions! If they were to get a new coaster, what do you think would go well with their lineup? I've never been there, so I'm curious.

People have said for years that Valleyfair will get a B&M invert, and while I think that would help the park's coaster lineup, I just don't see Cedar Fair investing over 15 million dollars into a smaller park. Personally I think a Mack family launched coaster, like Manta at SeaWorld San Diego, would be perfect for Valleyfair. Valleyfair is definitely a family park, and something like Manta would be a coaster that both younger kids and thrill seekers could enjoy. Manta cost about 9 million dollars, but I think that would be both within Valleyfair's budget and they would see a much larger return on their investment than if they decided to add a coaster aimed only at thrill seekers. Another reason I could see a Mack family launched coaster is that Cedar Fair is believed to be adding a Mack launched coaster to Carowinds. If that ride goes over well, I think Mack will be working with Cedar Fair in the future. One of the main gaps in Valleyfair's lineup is a good family coaster, but another gap is a good inverted coaster. Valleyfair could add in an inversion like on Cheetah Hunt, another family launched coaster, but when I recently went on Cheetah Hunt the inversion felt random and out of place. Valleyfair's target audience isn't coaster enthusiasts, but the addition of a ride like Manta along with with the fantastic GCI coaster Renegade would give coaster enthusiasts a reason to visit Valleyfair.

People have said for years that Valleyfair will get a B&M invert, and while I think that would help the park's coaster lineup, I just don't see Cedar Fair investing over 15 million dollars into a smaller park.

Why not? They spent 10 million on Wild Thing in 1996. In adjusted inflation dollars for 2018 that would be $15,905,289.99 today. If they did it once 22 years ago they can do it again if they want.

Remember that at the time Wild Thing was built, it was the 5th tallest coaster in the world. While not record setting, it was big.

So the possibility is there that they could build a big coaster. Though back in 1996 they didn't have all of the Paramount parks like they do now, so I'm sure that changes how and where they spend the big bucks.

People have said for years that Valleyfair will get a B&M invert, and while I think that would help the park's coaster lineup, I just don't see Cedar Fair investing over 15 million dollars into a smaller park.

Why not? They spent 10 million on Wild Thing in 1996. In adjusted inflation dollars for 2018 that would be $15,905,289.99 today. If they did it once 22 years ago they can do it again if they want.

Counterargument; there's a certain other Cedar fair park about 450 miles from Valleyfair that built the second longest wooden coaster in the world at the time in 1998, and it cost $4,500,000. Adjusting for inflation, if they built it today, it would cost $6,873,984.66. That's relatively cheap for a new coaster, but that doesn't mean they're gonna do it again anytime soon.

Counterargument; there's a certain other Cedar fair park about 450 miles from Valleyfair that built the second longest wooden coaster in the world at the time in 1998, and it cost $4,500,000. Adjusting for inflation, if they built it today, it would cost $6,873,984.66. That's relatively cheap for a new coaster, but that doesn't mean they're gonna do it again anytime soon.

Hey now (said in my best Hank Kingsley voice, ), I never said they were going to do it anytime soon or even at all. I am just saying that it is possible and has been done at the park before. I just get tired of people of posting the thoughts of 'I don't think so, never, not going to happen' . If you want to say 'possible but not probable' or 'maybe/maybe not' I hear you. Just my pet peeve when people post absolutes like that when the president has already happened once. And I am not attacking you or anything so please don't take it that way, just venting my personal pet peeve about the possibility a decent sized coaster could come to VF in the future.

On another note I do think a decent sized coaster will come to VF in the next 5 years. I think that because of the plan they have been working on the last three years to expand the water park (much needed), with approval at the Federal and State levels along with city approval last year for moving wetlands at the back of the park to create more space. This plan involves the removal of Excalibur. And when removing existing coasters from a park CF has a history of replacing them with a new one within two years over the last two decades. Now if your going to ask me what kind, I have no idea. I am just encouraged that CF has been working with more manufactures like Gerstlauer and RMC lately which gives them even more options to find a coaster that fits the park volume and price range. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Just because Valleyfair was willing to put 15 million dollars into a park 20 years ago doesn't mean that they're going to again. Cedar Fair has had many changes since 1996 and they now consider Valleyfair a family park. As long as Valleyfair's a family park, it's unlikely that they will be adding a B&M.

Edited by Toaster Bot

^

I wouldn't say being a family park necessarily means they can't get a B&M coaster. Holiday World considers themselves a family park but they have a $22 million launched B&M wing coaster. Granted it's a completely different company operating under different circumstances, but still. I personally think a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster or an RMC Raptor at Valleyfair is a more likely scenario, though I could see them adding a smaller B&M here if Cedar Fair thinks it's a good investment.

On another note, the park posted a pic of Delirious' ride sign on Instagram. I like it.

VFDelirious.PNG.50efcdc7fac542b88b43f8663b1b19a9.PNG

I wouldn't say being a family park necessarily means they can't get a B&M coaster. Holiday World considers themselves a family park but they have a $22 million launched B&M wing coaster. Granted it's a completely different company operating under different circumstances, but still. I personally think a Gerstlauer Infinity coaster or an RMC Raptor at Valleyfair is a more likely scenario, though I could see them adding a smaller B&M here if Cedar Fair thinks it's a good investment.

If Valleyfairs going to be adding a new coaster it's probably going to be a family coaster, which I don't think is a bad thing. Manta at SeaWorld San Diego is a family coaster and that ride fantastic. I just think that Valleyfair would see a much better result if they adding a great family coaster than adding some mediocre B&M that costs the same amount as the family coaster.

^

I know Northern Lights technically isn't a roller coaster but I feel like it fills in Valleyfair's need for another family coaster. Still, if the park does add a family coaster in the near future, I certainly hope they add something along the lines of Manta at SWSD. Haven't ridden that ride yet but it looks like something that families and thrill seekers alike can enjoy.

Dropped by the park today to check out Delirious and ride some coasters. Of course I saw 'Renegade Mike' on both my laps. Renegade is running just fine as usual. Even though it was slow at the park the one train abomination Excalibur was actually running its half full train. This was my first Larson Looper. It was fun and smooth. Not as 'dizzying' as I assumed it would be. It didn't loop as fast as the old Enterprise like I expected (which is good for me). It looks great in Route 76 and from the front of park. Took some photo's to share.

IMG_0470.thumb.jpg.a204a465c74c3675d482b8940084b03c.jpg

But first, a shot of the new grass where RipTide used to be. RIP.

IMG_0473.thumb.jpg.82edc8aa79608cc68b809def296e9030.jpg

And now to find Delirious.

IMG_0474.thumb.jpg.8ae1b32475bd39e0519d475174e44d39.jpg

The Flying Scooters (Flying Eagles) were renamed this weekend due to a lost bet between DP and VF for the NFL Conference Championship game last year. To get the full effect Valleyfair management flew in some Eagles fans so they could bully kids in line and then beat them up in parking lot on the way out.

IMG_0479.thumb.jpg.2188a6e4dd8aa4ec2678c3de5447fb88.jpg

The new Coke Refresh station right by Delirious in Route 76.

IMG_0482.thumb.jpg.9afae43520021742fbab159cc59bd6f1.jpg

And here it is! It even has purple rocks at the base of the sign.

IMG_0489.thumb.jpg.3adc5a069d345bcb1bd5687df246e79c.jpg

This one is for you Larry.

IMG_0491.thumb.jpg.f245100b7ca1ad0d020f3f9e4dda1718.jpg

The loading bridge between Delirious and the line queue.

IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.b4829b6641632ef77b5372a987910035.jpg

A shot from the main walkway that approaches Delirious.

IMG_0487.thumb.jpg.50315ffa1ff49c04afb761792979b5ea.jpg

That purple train.

IMG_0488.thumb.jpg.cf260c16af27f89966ddbf71b4f0f688.jpg

Then the purple operator station. If your allergic to purple, you cannot go near this ride.

IMG_0490.thumb.jpg.7cc3a5da76e418252dcd13cf60f3a8c6.jpg

Base shot.

IMG_0493.thumb.jpg.6500b5831539e0f0ca9bf932f143dfee.jpg

The other side.

IMG_0498.thumb.jpg.f0b3bc6588145c79d2de91c1bb8738b1.jpg

Side view from the parking lot.

IMG_0500.thumb.jpg.ecd929b5c199d95771065f2412d0606f.jpg

The view from the parking lot as you arrive.

IMG_0501.thumb.jpg.2f2dca1c5e274f149d915e0aae3ed30a.jpg

One more shot in all its purple glory.

IMG_0505.thumb.jpg.20a85709159fda6d18837d3c56b5ce36.jpg

Cover of this year's park map. Going to be a purple year. And there is nothing wrong with that. You don't see it much and it really stands out.

IMG_0509.thumb.jpg.5d0db1db43f4dafe717f0f5bfd68a57e.jpg

And the pin they were handing out for Delirious. They did this for North Star Last year on Preview Day but since that was canceled this year they were handing them out this weekend.

Dropped by the park today to check out Delirious and ride some coasters. Of course I saw 'Renegade Mike' on both my laps. Renegade is running just fine as usual. Even though it was slow at the park the one train abomination Excalibur was actually running its half full train. This was my first Larson Looper. It was fun and smooth. Not as 'dizzying' as I assumed it would be. It didn't loop as fast as the old Enterprise like I expected (which is good for me). It looks great in Route 76 and from the front of park. Took some photo's to share.

so it did open already, cool!

any Prince music in the queue?