TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I can see where they are frustrated, but I don't think its that big of a deal to comment 7-8 times on an Amusement Park's Facebook page to say how bad the announcement is. I mean, its just a theme park, there's more to life then them; and this is coming from a coaster enthusiast. You would have thought it was a worldwide tragedy.

The end of the video says, "...and so much more." So I'm thinking that they maybe aren't done with the announcement yet.

I think they mean the celebrations and shows but I may be wrong

Well, I find it weird that Gemini is in the video so much. It's to late for it to moved before next season, but maybe in the near future.

Flyers are nice, and it is always a welcomed addition to fill in an empty pad. Better than nothing. I still find it humorous that people were expecting a coaster.

I don't think that many people were expecting a coaster this year. With the exception of the past week, it was agreed upon that Flyers were coming, and nothing else.

Then this week ideas were being thrown around about a Frisbee ride in addition to flyers and B&M inverts and I think that this past week of optimism set people up for disappointment.

The announcement was Flyers and a bike show, wow.........no really that is beyond awesome.

I will not be renewing the families season passes for next year, last years lame slides (not everyone likes drops slides) and now a Flyer and bike show, seriously VF is such an underwhelming park it is crazy.

I can't believe that VF is hyping up a ride that harkened back to the first days of the park, who cares. Those were really fun 40 years ago, it would be nice if the park would get something really great for once. And no I don't want to hear about last years drop slides or some lame skate coaster. The last coaster at the park was way too long ago.

I just want to quote a few of my favorite posts from before the announcement.

I just spoke with Mr. Frazier while at the park. Valleyfair will announce their capital improvement for next year on September 12th! Only 10 more days!

They wait till after the state fair. Ive heard it will be at 10 am

im guessing they changed it to tomorrow cause it will reach a bigger news audience then on a Saturday.

Could be wrong, but i noticed this on the permit

Previous post contained a picture of the permit which said remodel/alteration. These were the posts that soon followed

^ It did but right under it it said DEMO.

The amphitheater has been out of code for several years. That is why it has not been used for anything but storage. Also, Wild Things MCBR is very noisy and performers did not want to perform there because of that. Mr. Frazier told me a couple weeks ago that he has wanted that theater down since he started cause it was a waste of space. It is coming down! If you look at the valuation of the permit, $15,000, that would not be much to renovate but would cover tearing it down.

yah i totally agree. it has to be something more if they delayed the announcement.. looks like this will be our year we finally get that B&M invert.or some other B&M .heck at this rate i will be happy if they gave us vortex from carowinds and put floor less trains on it...

Here is my personal favorite that I have seen in this thread

If Flyers, Expect More

My sources tell me that if Valleyfair is to revive Larson flying scooters, they will be accompanied with either a Planet Snoopy expansion, a Soak Cory expansion (likely one funnel slide), or most likely, an additional thrilling flat ride. This thrilling flat ride is rumored to be either a frisbee (rumor is that CF bought 2 and got a deal), or a star flyer. Some have said that Vf would get the new ride that CW got, but my sources have said that this is just a test ride, as CW is CF's test ground.

MillerInsider

Minnesota Screamscape Correspondent

@millerinsider

Finally I must give props to Valleyfairfanatic who actually hit the announcement right on the head with his post on 9/2

My final predictions: Larson Flyers near where chaos used to sit, some sort of development/demolition of the amphitheatre, and a large "VF 40" celebration of sorts similar to what Kings Dominion did.

Now my insider sources say that for 2017 Dinos will be on their way out and replaced by a B&M invert, along with the removal of Excalibur, new parking lot in back, and 4 new slide towers in the waterpark. Sadly though the Valleyfair thread on TPR will still claim that Valleyfair is the redheaded stepchild of CF because the invert turns out to be a clone of Patriot

Disclaimer[*] I did not mean to offend anyone with this post, I just find it funny how crazy people are in this thread with their prediction and "insider knowledge"

As far as social media, I can understand the negativity. Of all the problems the park has, not having a stunt show and and not having an OK flat ride in an empty patch of grass aren't even close to the top. I think people aren't seeing this in the context of the parking lot plan that's still presumably in the works and would take up most of the funding if approved. You don't announce replacing a coaster with a parking lot as an attraction, so they had to find something else cheap in addition. It might even take most of the summer if they do the grading since they're not going to want to pay overtime and you can't move earth in the winter, so the parking lot might not even be done next operating season.

Edited by Mdcastle

Everyone else is complaining, I might as well too.

I don't like the copy / paste nature of these additions to the parks. Both Cedar Fair and Six Flags are guilty. I'm less and less inclined to go to multiple parks in the chain when they aren't all that different. I see how it makes sense, business wise, but it's not like I'm going out for fast food... This is also the reason I hope Valleyfair, when (god willing) they finally get a coaster, does NOT go with an Invert. I can't even remember the differences between Talon and Patriot at this point...

Finally I must give props to Valleyfairfanatic who actually hit the announcement right on the head with his post on 9/2

My final predictions: Larson Flyers near where chaos used to sit, some sort of development/demolition of the amphitheatre, and a large "VF 40" celebration of sorts similar to what Kings Dominion did.

184333463_mlady.jpg.c03d38833c373a0c0c7d96a123aadbbf.jpg

I just spoke with Mr. Frazier while at the park. Valleyfair will announce their capital improvement for next year on September 12th! Only 10 more days!

They wait till after the state fair. Ive heard it will be at 10 am

im guessing they changed it to tomorrow cause it will reach a bigger news audience then on a Saturday.

Could be wrong, but i noticed this on the permit

Previous post contained a picture of the permit which said remodel/alteration. These were the posts that soon followed

^ It did but right under it it said DEMO.

The amphitheater has been out of code for several years. That is why it has not been used for anything but storage. Also, Wild Things MCBR is very noisy and performers did not want to perform there because of that. Mr. Frazier told me a couple weeks ago that he has wanted that theater down since he started cause it was a waste of space. It is coming down! If you look at the valuation of the permit, $15,000, that would not be much to renovate but would cover tearing it down.

yah i totally agree. it has to be something more if they delayed the announcement.. looks like this will be our year we finally get that B&M invert.or some other B&M .heck at this rate i will be happy if they gave us vortex from carowinds and put floor less trains on it...

Here is my personal favorite that I have seen in this thread

If Flyers, Expect More

My sources tell me that if Valleyfair is to revive Larson flying scooters, they will be accompanied with either a Planet Snoopy expansion, a Soak Cory expansion (likely one funnel slide), or most likely, an additional thrilling flat ride. This thrilling flat ride is rumored to be either a frisbee (rumor is that CF bought 2 and got a deal), or a star flyer. Some have said that Vf would get the new ride that CW got, but my sources have said that this is just a test ride, as CW is CF's test ground.

MillerInsider

Minnesota Screamscape Correspondent

@millerinsider

Now my insider sources say that for 2017 Dinos will be on their way out and replaced by a B&M invert, along with the removal of Excalibur, new parking lot in back, and 4 new slide towers in the waterpark. Sadly though the Valleyfair thread on TPR will still claim that Valleyfair is the redheaded stepchild of CF because the invert turns out to be a clone of Patriot

Disclaimer[*] I did not mean to offend anyone with this post, I just find it funny how crazy people are in this thread with their prediction and "insider knowledge"

it

Just so everyone knows, I've got thick skin and can take the criticism. But when you accuse me of lying im gonna call you on it. At no time nor any post have i ever lied. The announcement date didn't come out til i asked Mr. Frazier about it. He thought it had been posted already. I posted that info less than 15 min after i found out. I ask Mr.Frazier today why there was a delay with this announcement. He said he wasnt sure but it was a corporate thing.

Again, there is nothing wrong with having fun speculating. When the 2015 announcement was made we were on page 239. Now look, well past 600! Valleyfair has a lot of passionate followers. Way to go speculators!

I've been wondering for awhile, do you actively stalk that poor man when you go to the park? I just ask because you are literally the only poster on here that constantly talks about how Mr. Frazier told you this or that.

I mean it's cool if that's your thing, but all I can think about when I read your posts is "leave that poor man alone"

-----

Back to VF. The addition doesn't surprise me. It does make me wonder if the chain is rethinking VF as a major growth park.

I've been wondering for awhile, do you actively stalk that poor man when you go to the park? I just ask because you are literally the only poster on here that constantly talks about how Mr. Frazier told you this or that.

I mean it's cool if that's your thing, but all I can think about when I read your posts is "leave that poor man alone"

garyman6 just likes to have people listen to him.

I've been expecting since 2013 to see a new coaster for 2016, so I'm quite disappointing. I'm normally guilty of reckless positivity, but as a Vikings/Twins/Wild/Timberwoves/Gophers fan saying "maybe next year" is getting real old. I really hope they announce something big next year, Valleyfair is getting increasingly irrelevant in the Twin Cities market, and needs a big move as soon as possible to keep the crowds coming. I trust the men in charge, but it gets more difficult with every disappointing year that passes.

-----

Back to VF. The addition doesn't surprise me. It does make me wonder if the chain is rethinking VF as a major growth park.

Would you rather me say "some random dude at Valleyfair " told me this or that? Ive been friends with Dave for over two years after he called me and invited me to come and take a private tour with him. That was after i sent an email to Cedar Fair giving them some suggestions for the park. I call him Mr. Frazier on this forumn out of respect. Im being accused of lying and now stalking? All for speculating and having some fun on TPR?

Ive been wondering for awhile why you always want to pour cold water on everyone's post. Maybe that's your "thing" but maybe you should try to be more positive!

It will be interesting to see what the new entertainment venue will look like. Also im looking forward to seeing the show! Ive seen this act on America's Got Talent and they were pretty impressive!

A few thoughts...

1) I always thought Flyers were what was going to come here, and thought most people here thought that too! I mean, making additions like this has been CF's M.O. with their smaller parks for a few years. VF was completely due for a Flyer, and now they have one. Good news for you guys? Maybe now that they've checked that box for VF, a coaster is that much closer! Or not...

2) Count your blessings that even got an announcement, and a new addition! As a "fan" of MiA, I am fully expecting to for 2015 to turn into 2016, without any announcement of anything at all! Maybe it's better this way though... At least by expecting this, I will be pleasantly surprised if they announce out of the blue that MiA is getting the Screamin' Swings from Knott's!

3) I think the reaction on social media to the announcement reinforces something I've said for years, that tends to get largely dismissed by enthusiasts... While some enthusiasts take great pride in bashing other enthusiasts as being whiny and unrealistic when it comes to getting large new additions (which, is certainly the case sometimes), my experience with the GP, is that they are also excited about large new attractions, and notice when a park has been (prepare yourself) neglected in that department for some years. Being in Michigan, there is definitely a lot of ambivalence about MiA, and complaining about the lack of new, marquee attractions. Now, maybe a part of this is because CP is also a virtual "home park", and has spoiled everybody. But it's actually a legitimate feeling for people to have, and is not inherently indicative of somebody being a "spoiled, whiny, enthusiast." People - everybody - like to see the big new coasters, not just enthusiasts. Are smaller additions like Flyers, water park epansions, and shows crucial to rounding out a park's experience? Totally! But if a park goes too long without that new coaster, everybody, including the GP will take notice, and start to feel jilted. Like it or not, it is simply the reality that an amusement park has to face. I have a pretty good understanding of why CF has taken the tack they have with their older, smaller parks like VF, Mia, WoF, and to a lesser extent, Dorney. But that doesn't mean it's any easier for people to accept as the years tick by, and CF continues to raise ticket prices. Heck, in truth, we enthusiasts actually have the understanding and knowledge of the industry to understand BETTER why parks aren't adding the big coasters, as opposed to the GP. Just a word of caution against piling on enthusiasts when they express disappointment over years of no large additions...

Oh, and if it wasn't clear: my personal stance on this addition is that it is a fine, and perfectly commensurate one for VF, and will be a fun addition to the park!

-----

Would you rather me say "some random dude at Valleyfair " told me this or that? Ive been friends with Dave for over two years after he called me and invited me to come and take a private tour with him. That was after i sent an email to Cedar Fair giving them some suggestions for the park. I call him Mr. Frazier on this forumn out of respect. Im being accused of lying and now stalking? All for speculating and having some fun on TPR?

Ive been wondering for awhile why you always want to pour cold water on everyone's post. Maybe that's your "thing" but maybe you should try to be more positive!

It will be interesting to see what the new entertainment venue will look like. Also im looking forward to seeing the show! Ive seen this act on America's Got Talent and they were pretty impressive!

Would you prefer me to call it "severe name dropping to attempt to elevate status on TPR"?

I mean I'm friends with local park GMs too but I don't feel like I constantly have remind people of this fact in every post. I mean it's cool that you've befriended Dave but your posts always come across as you thinking that your privileged because you "know" him.

As far as being positive in this particular forum - why? VF continues to prove my pessimistic viewpoint of the park to be correct year after year. Every year posters in this forum are convinced that THIS is the year they are going to get a new coaster. I say "nope" - they pout - they call me names - they start foaming again. If you've studied this park even for a small sampling of seasons, it's not hard to figure out how they do things.

-----

Would you prefer me to call it "severe name dropping to attempt to elevate status on TPR"?

I mean I'm friends with local park GMs too but I don't feel like I constantly have remind people of this fact in every post. I mean it's cool that you've befriended Dave but your posts always come across as you thinking that your privileged because you "know" him.

As far as being positive in this particular forum - why? VF continues to prove my pessimistic viewpoint of the park to be correct year after year. Every year posters in this forum are convinced that THIS is the year they are going to get a new coaster. I say "nope" - they pout - they call me names - they start foaming again. If you've studied this park even for a small sampling of seasons, it's not hard to figure out how they do things.

Jun

When i get information that comes directly from Mr.Frazier or any other name i think people appreciate the source. It brings credibility. Otherwise its just me. I speculate enough already. Im not on here to impress anyone, i just enjoy the discussion.

As far as being positive, there is a lot to be positive about. Just because we haven't got a new coaster yet doesn't mean that Cedar Fair is not setting up Valleyfair for success. Lets look at numbers. Last year was about a $7 million upgrade. The year before that with the route 76 addition, $3+ million. Planet snoopy bèfore that, $8 million! With other upgrades including a new permanent haunt structure, Cedar Fair has invested at least $20 million into the park. Our haunt event im sure is in the top 4 in the chain. We have catering facilities that can produce 3000/hr and seat thousands. A permit has been submitted that would add 25% more usable land to Valleyfair and that's not all the land they have available. Need i go on?

So this year we"only" get a flyers, which I've heard is very fun, and a new stunt show and everyone is on a warpath. Yes its a small investment this year but maybe they are saving for 2017 or 2018.

Then why not for 2017? None of the larger parks are going to get or need a new coaster. Knotts is going in a different direction, something more family style. Worlds of Fun has been rumored to be the next to receive a a Triotech dark ride. CGA just got GoldStriker. That leaves us, Dorney, and MIA. MIA doesn't attract enough customers and is not placed in enough of a metro location where people from Detroit would come. That leaves us and Dorney, with Dorney going for a GCI wooden coaster. I could see CF go for coasters at both parks, given the relative cheap announcements this year.

I still believe Valleyfair is one of their growth parks but Cedar Fair can only do so much. Carowinds is nearly doubling the size of their waterpark to make it the largest in the southeast plus they still have another announcement the fall for a possible dark ride. Once they are done with Carowinds then maybe it will be our turn. CGA hasn't even gotten as many improvements as we have and they are a growth park too!

2017 is a real possibility! If we see construction and footers before labor day then of course its a go. Coasters cant be built up here in just the off season.