Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

I think the problem is that most of them are built too big. Shows in theme parks have been losing popularity, and people have been coming more for the rides and water park than anything. When the parks want to build a new attraction, amphitheaters take up a large amount of room and are a good choice for removal. It's all about popularity vs running costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The amphitheater has been out of code for several years. That is why it has not been used for anything but storage. Also, Wild Things MCBR is very noisy and performers did not want to perform there because of that. Mr. Frazier told me a couple weeks ago that he has wanted that theater down since he started cause it was a waste of space. It is coming down! If you look at the valuation of the permit, $15,000, that would not be much to renovate but would cover tearing it down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the problem is that most of them are built too big. Shows in theme parks have been losing popularity, and people have been coming more for the rides and water park than anything. When the parks want to build a new attraction, amphitheaters take up a large amount of room and are a good choice for removal. It's all about popularity vs running costs.

 

I think its all about the investment into shows that parks put in. When many of these amphitheater buildings are first put up, a pretty great show comes with them and usually has the budget to last for a few years. When parks show quality decreases for whatever reason, or they just stop using them completely other than for dance competitions etc they become eye sores and deteriorate quickly. The VF amphitheater has needed to go for years now, happy to see it demo'd for something better.

 

I will say this - the permit just got applied for 2 days ago and they pushed back their announcement date. I bet something wasn't 100% sure until this week or something changed to make those two things happen so late in the game. Either way I wouldn't expect anything huge, as anything huge needs to be in the works for a solid 8-12 months before an announcement!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if this is "Plan B" that was thrown together at the last moment since the grading permit was either denied or hasn't been approved yet. But it's pretty obvious something is going to go there. If they wanted to knock it down and put grass in would have made sense to do it last year when they had the demolition equipment on site. Likely Cedar Fair doesn't want to pay to knock down a building unless there's a real reason to, other than "we're not using it".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this probably wouldn't happen, and because the Excalibur permit hasn't been accepted, I wonder if the delay is because VF and CF are thinking of putting the dark ride (in amphitheater spot). Even though CF did say no triotech dark rides this year, I would give that option a 5% chance, a coaster 5%chance (Falcon) and 90% a Flyers and frisbee combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's obvious they are delaying the announcement because now the park is getting the flyers, plus...

1. A Mondial Frisbee

2. A ride like CanWon is getting

3. A B&M gate coaster

4. A Trio-Tech Dark Ride

5. A water park expansion with 3 new towers and a funnel slide

 

Foamers be foaming. *rolling my eyes*

 

I'm pretty sure a lot of people roll their eyes at your posts more than anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some pics from my late August Valleyfair trip (and first-ever time)

1400276982_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_18_06PM.thumb.png.19d9f4f9f96384bfee312632323eb0fc.png

Dammit! We made it!

1810906455_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_19_16PM.thumb.png.3b3005267663615636873d56ebe00eec.png

The #1 reason for the whole trip

2128880521_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_19_31PM.thumb.png.6a7064ba9b4084b818426b6c29c60259.png

In all of its Ron Toomerest Glory

2129663093_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_20_18PM.thumb.png.62ffd374452fd1c6644811d279cf6be3.png

Loved how this looked

1569479697_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_21_16PM.thumb.png.4881edc7320ebdd4be52b9cc6a3d942d.png

I'm into Ferris wheels, so I had to take some shots of the hub and mechanics

1631555691_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_21_28PM.thumb.png.a19f708d9ed76e463631b4654a6774dd.png

1879138762_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_21_53PM.thumb.png.eb46518e5ba12fbf33c4197d7ed7feef.png

Decent Corkscrew ride.. a lot better than Cedar points

1812530700_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_22_27PM.thumb.png.f52f037025995d14013c977a0503048f.png

Hello Kitty The RIDE™

1975425416_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_30_41PM.thumb.png.e3cebe8786899a4376371067318dd49c.png

Loved how the Carousel Top moved... Never saw anything like this before.

1331195035_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_32_15PM.thumb.png.aec28d2a900a9deeb27c41b5580fce3e.png

Old School Flat goodness

394792085_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_32_50PM.thumb.png.e890ed4131ad97946da26845379cfe68.png

Loved this.... great NAD trains

2048008270_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_33_50PM.thumb.png.390ac92fda034de0fdd35fe38c879ea1.png

Didn't wait long for this, but couldn't get the bar down enough... so no-go for me, but the wife rode it... and hated it. (she doesn't do well with wood coasters)

644052885_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_34_36PM.thumb.png.a232f5307861e018e2c9a4061f0bdfe2.png

Classic Eyerly Monster. (noticed green monster tubs backstage, from World of Fun)

1952203374_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_35_32PM.thumb.png.43896606c958d12701e98d83557b60c0.png

Hello Valleyfair! Another one to scratch off the bucket list.

749101283_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_38_49PM.thumb.png.155494f3be61be6d5cfef9b028298225.png

Liked this section, but I can see it redeveloped soon to help with the flow.

1327647002_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_39_04PM.thumb.png.dba0d6cb98b0ea88cf1567f2abd6beb3.png

Not sure why they ran this backwards

1947203854_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_39_45PM.thumb.png.0dbb42fff4941c523ad0ed85b8cdcf4f.png

Really enjoyed Wild Thing

1564582191_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_40_02PM.thumb.png.e50291126d1497a8741207295375d36c.png

Loved the classic 70's (Six-Flags over Georgia-esq theming)

1537529554_ScreenShot2015-09-12at7_40_21PM.thumb.png.7b0fb99883ef80e0ad3603e65890c888.png

Future Vekoma Boomerang site! (inserts evil laugh)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's obvious they are delaying the announcement because now the park is getting the flyers, plus...

1. A Mondial Frisbee

2. A ride like CanWon is getting

3. A B&M gate coaster

4. A Trio-Tech Dark Ride

5. A water park expansion with 3 new towers and a funnel slide

 

Foamers be foaming. *rolling my eyes*

 

I'm pretty sure a lot of people roll their eyes at your posts more than anything.

I like both these comments equally

Edited by valleyfairfanatic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some pics from my late August Valleyfair trip (and first-ever time)

Great photos! I love to see VF through the eyes of a tourist. What did you think of the park overall? What was your favorite ride?

 

My favorite coaster rides were Wild thing, Excalibur and High Roller in that order.

I also enjoyed the Screaming Swing, though the cycle was about 2 swings shorter than CP's. Monster and Supercat were good, too and we also liked the Antique Cars, ferris wheel and Carousel. I've been to many parks, so I have experienced parks of all sizes, but parts of Valleyfair reminded me of Kennywood, whilst others reminded me of Six Flags over Georgia and other parts Hersheypark and a bit of Dorney Park—but I never felt the "Cedar Fair" brand was overkill, even though it's the oldest tied with CP. The biggest noticeable thing were all of the flags everywhere. Flags all over the place, even more than Cedar point.

 

I posted a "Quick Bits" post a few pages back around the 31st of August, but let me re-copy my thoughts:

 

- Liked Corkscrew much more than Cedar Points. Very good in the back.

- Love the 70's infrastructure with the Super Cat and Carousel and the chandeliers in the shops and the entrance area

- Loved, Love, Loved Excalibur... glad I was able to experience it... da-dada-daaaaa!

- the dead ends at each end of the park became a bit annoying

- Very sad to miss the train. It was down all day

- Liked Wild thing and High Roller

- Park didn't have the Cedar Fair feel as much, seemed more independent.

- Very disappointed with park merchandise

- No recycle bins (popping up at most cedar fair parks now)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is one of those threads on here that I walk into and immediately walk out of. At least it's nowhere near as bad as the Darien Lake thread.

 

Why walk into it then in the first place? Or do you just like complaining?

 

He's probably an eternal optimist like myself. We always hope that the situation has changed (or at least improved) but we find out that isn't the case once again and leave the thread.

 

FTR, I do wish VF well - but sometimes the foaming gets so ridiculous that it forces me to type a response.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/