TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm planning a Valleyfair trip for the first time in Late August -28 29 or 30- (God-Willing). We have Platinum passes and the all season dining plan. I saw the early ride times, but what other advice would you suggest for us. We also want to hit: Como Town, Mall of America and Nick Universe, as well as the Dells and maybe Little Ammerika. Had to scratch Bay Beach and SF from the itinerary due to budget.

Any advice and tips are appreciated!

I'm planning a Valleyfair trip for the first time in Late August -28 29 or 30- (God-Willing). We have Platinum passes and the all season dining plan. I saw the early ride times, but what other advice would you suggest for us. We also want to hit: Como Town, Mall of America and Nick Universe, as well as the Dells and maybe Little Ammerika. Had to scratch Bay Beach and SF from the itinerary due to budget.

If you just want to do Nickelodeon when you are at MOA, you could do that and Como Town in the same day. Getting to Como first and then Nickelodeon later on (Parking is horrific at Como after opening, from my past experiences).

Little Amerricka has very strange hours, and is only open 5-6 hours on the days you are planning your trip. August 28: 12-5, August 29 and 30: 12-6. This makes it kinda hard to make a trip there.

I can't say anything for Mount Olympus, because I haven't heard anything good about the place, so I have always past on going there. I will say that if you are in the Dells, go to Timber Falls and ride Avalanche. It's an awesome ride.

I haven't been to Valleyfair on an August weekend, so I don't know what crowds will be like, but I've been there on a few Fridays and I was able to get on everything I wanted to with re-rides.

Crowds probably won't be too bad on the days you'd be here since the Minnesota State Fair will be going on, plus some schools will be back in session. Ride Mad Mouse first since it's a low-capacity ride. After that, you should be able to ride everything once with plenty of rerides within a few hours.

In the month of August for early re rides I believe Wild Thing, Supercat, Rip Tide, Power Tower, Extreme Swing will all be open at 9:30am. If you want re rides get to the park around 9:15am gates open early at 9:30am for season pass holders. I was there this morning did the Extreme Swing and Power Tower twice on each re rides before the park open. And if you want to spend time on Renegade I always hit that right at 10am when the park opens you can stay in your seat with out getting off unless theres someone in your line you can get off and go to a open seat re ride twice then you have to walk around again. I do Renegade first in the morning lines are real short. There are good hotels down by hwy 169 and they have a Travel Lodge in Shakopee on hwy 101 in town.

Valleyfair on site hotel near Valleyfair housing

I'm curious does anyone think they should build a new on site hotel resort with a swimming pool and water slides? Adventureland in Iowa has a on site hotel and resort I think that would be a good thing for Valleyfair to have? What were they doing with the land clearing by the Valleyfair housing during the off season? Some kind of project?

image.thumb.jpg.63651a4195e1f40ca46ddc294d119a48.jpg

Land Clearing by the Valleyfair housing area this past off season? Maybe either new doorms or a hotel resort for Valleyfair?

Edited by ACES

Unless you are looking for coaster credits or have small children I would skip Como Town, its really geared for children. Como Zoo and the conservatory are pretty nice and they are free. All three are in the same location. They do ask for donations but its not required. Como Town does have a new kiddie coaster that opened this year. Nick U and MOA pretty much anytime would be good. The state fair is going on and kids are starting back to school. Don't miss Avatar Airbender at Nick U. its the best ride at the park IMO. If you like flying check out ACES. It's a place that has flight simulators and are very realistic. Also, the new sting ray exhibit at Underwater Adventures is worth the price alone. You actually get to pet the sting rays. There is one ray in particular that absolutely loves to get pet and will let you know its coming so you can get ready. It's pretty cool. You can find coupons located around the mall so make sure you find one before you go.

Valleyfair: Get there at 9:15 A.M. Best parking spot is in the corner on the front left of the parking lot. Its between Steel Venom and the entrance and right below the Wild Thing turnaround. Season pass holder can get in early. Soak City should be your first stop. They open at 9:30 for season pass holders. Head right to the new slide tower and get your 90' climbs in early. Then head to Renegade and get your rides in there. If you are there till close come back and ride Renegade at night. It's pretty sweet but keep your mouth closed! This being your first time at VF then make sure you ride Excalibur. Its a pretty fun coaster but not very popular and will most likely be removed soon to make way for new expansion. Lastly, up in the front of the park in the Route 76 themed area is Northern Lights. Everyone I talk to that has ridden it says the same thing, " it looked kind of boring or eh" Everyone who has ridden it says its a lot of fun and I agree. If you get a back row corner spot that is the best seat. Lots of airtime! P.S. look for the fish in the small pond if you ride Antique Auto's.

Have Fun and give us a trip report if you can!

I forgot to mention the Dells and Mt. Olympus. Hades 360 is a pretty fun ride but extremely rough. Make sure you check your own restraints cause the maintenance in the park is clearly lacking. You can see it all over! The ride ops for Hades wont even ride it. I was there last year and that is what they told me. The park is horribly laid out and a lot the rides are extra charge. The water park is o.k. but very spread out. The best part about the park is the Poseidon's Rage wave pool. It produces 9' waves about every 90 seconds. It's the only wave pool I've been in that actually is a bit scary. The wave will pummel you! No kidding! You will not be able to stand upright when it hits you. But somehow the park get away with only about half the life guards that Valleyfairs wave pool has. Not sure what's going on there but just be aware. Also, remember the Dells is a tourist trap. All sorts of attractions that want your money. If you can be sure to do a jet boat tour of either the upper or lower Dells area. They are a lot more fun then the ducks.

Again, have fun!

Thank you for the advice so far. We are going to totally go the cheapo route on the trip, so we won't really be doing much else besides the parks and coasters. I do want to hit Como Town for that new Galaxy. As for the Valleyfair waterpark, if it's hot enough, we'll go for a couple of hours, but we have many of the same slides down here in Ohio

The Dells will be a quick trip, too. I've heard about the spotty operations at Mt Olympus. That wave pool sounds pretty cool, I forgot that they put that in.

Minnesota State fair looks great, but there is no way we will have time for it.

Thank you for the advice so far. We are going to totally go the cheapo route on the trip, so we won't really be doing much else besides the parks and coasters. I do want to hit Como Town for that new Galaxy. As for the Valleyfair waterpark, if it's hot enough, we'll go for a couple of hours, but we have many of the same slides down here in Ohio

The Dells will be a quick trip, too. I've heard about the spotty operations at Mt Olympus. That wave pool sounds pretty cool, I forgot that they put that in.

Minnesota State fair looks great, but there is no way we will have time for it.

You can buy credits for just the rides you want to go on at Combo Town. At the zoo be sure to see the gorillas and the polar bears!

Why don't we hold the coaster debate till 2016 or this up coming off season? We can rule out a coaster will not happen in 2016. There haven't been any signs at all this season or markings just the rumor of Excalibur leaving for a parking lot for soak city new access road I'm still 50/50 on that one. I'm hopeing in 2017 a new coaster. Didn't the permitts for the haunt building cost $100,000? I thought RCJunkie said that and the price tag for a new Larson Flyers is about $200,000 sound right. So if we were to get a new Larson Flyers for next year which I'm betting on with the new haunt attraction plus the flyers that would be about $300,000 dollars for 2016 I'm just speculating.

A name for a Larson Flyers one I came up with:

River Flyers

Minnesota River Flyers

Wild Flyers (named after the Minnesota Wild hockey team) anyone like this name?

I would like the Larson flyers to create a more themed area, like route 76. Take a crappy part of the park and add a ride and Refurbish rides. You take one of the worst parts of the park and then over one off season make it the best. I think the Larson flyers should be placed in high rollers turn around, then refurbish Monster and paint Enterprise, and move it over to the wave area. Name that area Corkscrew Courtyard! So After that get a flat/dark ride in that Amiptheater spot. After that the soak city deal. Now we can start talking coaster! Wow I think we should remove High roller, I do. In 2019 Dino's goes bye bye. Then we could remove it and add a B&M in high rollers and Dino's spot! Lol wishful thinking

Wow I think we should remove High roller, I do. In 2019 Dino's goes bye bye. Then we could remove it and add a B&M in high rollers and Dino's spot! Lol wishful thinking

I don't think High Roller is going anywhere soon. It's a pretty popular ride (usually has a decent line on most days), and they've been retracking parts of it over the past few years. Plus, High Roller has a relatively small footprint that they probably can't do much with. All signs point to Excalibur being the coaster on the chopping block.

Wow I think we should remove High roller, I do. In 2019 Dino's goes bye bye. Then we could remove it and add a B&M in high rollers and Dino's spot! Lol wishful thinking

I don't think High Roller is going anywhere soon. It's a pretty popular ride (usually has a decent line on most days), and they've been retracking parts of it over the past few years. Plus, High Roller has a relatively small footprint that they probably can't do much with. All signs point to Excalibur being the coaster on the chopping block.

Agreed! It not happening in the foreseeable future.

Is the park full on weekdays because my friends and I plan to go this Thursday. I haven't been to Valleyfair in 2 years, just wondering.

Also, what are the average wait times?

Yes and No, it's very unpredictable! I go on Fridays and it's never to bad. Wait times are 5-25 min 45 at the very very most Have Fun!

What?!? No Fish? Has anyone seen the coy fish that were in the pond along the antique auto route? Hope they still have them!

If you can't see them, yet they're still there, they must be very "coy" fish, indeed.

Or did you mean "koi fish"?

What?!? No Fish? Has anyone seen the coy fish that were in the pond along the antique auto route? Hope they still have them!

If you can't see them, yet they're still there, they must be very "coy" fish, indeed.

Or did you mean "koi fish"?

Didn't the permitts for the haunt building cost $100,000? I thought RCJunkie said that and the price tag for a new Larson Flyers is about $200,000 sound right. So if we were to get a new Larson Flyers for next year which I'm betting on with the new haunt attraction plus the flyers that would be about $300,000 dollars for 2016 I'm just speculating.

When you apply for a construction permit, the cost of the permit is often based on the estimated total cost of the project. The permit did not cost $100,000, but that was the estimated cost of the building. Also, the haunt building was built this year so I believe that would fall under a 2015 expenditure and not a 2016.

I think the Flyers would look great in the old scrambler spot. I haven't been to the park since it moved (going the first weekend in September), but it seems like that would be a lot of unnecessary concrete in that area.

I think the Larson flyers should be placed in high rollers turn around, then refurbish Monster and paint Enterprise, and move it over to the wave area.

There is no way you could put the Larson Flyers in the High Roller turn around. This is because there are support cables supporting the turn around that are all secured in the center on the ground as you can see in the picture below.

1163114004_HighRollerTurnAround.jpg.45a271f6130f0b73d22c137aa4c84eed.jpg

The support cables in High Roller's turn around.

I'm doing Soak City all day today. Raging Rapids and Lazy river going to give the new slides a second try. Security is checking bags with a metal dectector. McDonald's special event today.

Edited by ACES

Didn't the permitts for the haunt building cost $100,000? I thought RCJunkie said that and the price tag for a new Larson Flyers is about $200,000 sound right. So if we were to get a new Larson Flyers for next year which I'm betting on with the new haunt attraction plus the flyers that would be about $300,000 dollars for 2016 I'm just speculating.

When you apply for a construction permit, the cost of the permit is often based on the estimated total cost of the project. The permit did not cost $100,000, but that was the estimated cost of the building. Also, the haunt building was built this year so I believe that would fall under a 2015 expenditure and not a 2016.

I think the Flyers would look great in the old scrambler spot. I haven't been to the park since it moved (going the first weekend in September), but it seems like that would be a lot of unnecessary concrete in that area.

I'm not sure if anything will go into scrambler's old location due to the fact they purchased a sign that says "Midway Stage" just last year. The Midway Stage is actually used quite often. I think a more plausible location where flyers would be able to fit would be: Tilt-a-Whirl's old location and where skyscraper used to be.

Take that as you may, but that's just my two-cents.

A few names I came up with: Minnesota River Flyers, River Flyers, Wild Flyers (Named after Minnesota Wild hockey team).

Also what does anyone think about Valleyfair building a on site hotel resort with swimming pool and indoor water slides? Adventureland has one plus Dollywood just open there new resort DreamMore Resort. Valleyfair could use that entire land down by Valleyfair housing area and use that land it's always empty for the most part put it to use I know that land was for over flow parking but when was the last time it was used and being full they have a field down by the river at the end of the main lot for over flow parking they could use. I think Valleyfair should have a on site hotel resort follow up what other parks are doing just an idea.