TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

What about that photo of the hockey arena with the hashtag #GoWild? It's kind of obvious that there's a deliberate theme in these teasing tweets. Something jungle, something rumble, #GoWild...they do know something I believe.

Or it could be that part of VF's new season pass benefits that includes discount tickets to MN Wild hockey games.

Well, even though we do have Nickelodeon Universe, I usually only go once or twice a year, so it feels like an off-season for me. Even though Nick Universe is a fun park for what it is, I much prefer Valleyfair to it.

Me too. And that visit or two usually happens between December to March so I consider it my 'winter park'. It is really nice to have Sponge Bob and some other rides so I can get my 'fix' and get through the long winter. In this climate we are lucky to have such a good indoor park but like you I much prefer Valleyfair.

They tend to satirize in an outlandish, immediately recognizable and over-the-top style from what I've seen, and it's usually dreadfully unfunny.

Exactly. I think the biggest thing I've learned about Valleyfairzone is to take all of their rumors with a grain of salt. They even suggested last summer that we would be getting something like Cars Land at Disney California Adventure. Don't know where they got that idea .

What about that photo of the hockey arena with the hashtag #GoWild? It's kind of obvious that there's a deliberate theme in these teasing tweets. Something jungle, something rumble, #GoWild...they do know something I believe.

So it hasn't crossed your mind that this particular site, known for its satirical content, is trolling you?

Wait, wait.... you may be on to something. Calling it now: Gwazi is coming to VF.

That has the same possibility as kingda ka coming here. It's themed to the jungle! Calling it now

All of this joking about a jungle-themed ride makes me think that an RMC terrain woodie that goes through the trees in the back of the park would be an awesome addition. Probably won't happen since we need a steel coaster right now, but I'd still love to see one.

All of this joking about a jungle-themed ride makes me think that an RMC terrain woodie that goes through the trees in the back of the park would be an awesome addition. Probably won't happen since we need a steel coaster right now, but I'd still love to see one.

RMC delivers a great bang for any park's buck. Valleyfair would be a better park with one for sure, especially if it would have a couple inversions. We'd have a very diverse wooden coaster selection then. But you're 100% right, we're in need of new steel.

I haven't seen any clues of this but what if we got a ride like fulll throtttle (sfmm) with a bigger loop. It would be cheaper (6 million) give VF a record breaking coaster, and I don't think it would take too much space. It would give us a modern looper and a launch coaster. Anyone think it is possible?

^

I don't believe Cedar Fair has directly purchased any coasters from Premier Rides (correct me if I'm wrong), but if they ever did partner with Premier, I could see them doing something similar to Full Throttle, minus the world's tallest loop. Valleyfair just doesn't seem like the park where Cedar Fair would choose to put in a record breaker.

This is starting to sound like the Darien Lake thread.

Parks don't add big, record breaking rides because they "deserve" it. They add rides they see fit for the park that will bring in the most money. If Cedar Fair doesn't see Valleyfair as a good investment in 2016, then they won't get a coaster.There are other parks that are heavily rumored to get major investments next year- Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, even Michigan's Adventure.

This is starting to sound like the Darien Lake thread.

Parks don't add big, record breaking rides because they "deserve" it. They add rides they see fit for the park that will bring in the most money. If Cedar Fair doesn't see Valleyfair as a good investment in 2016, then they won't get a coaster.There are other parks that are heavily rumored to get major investments next year- Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, Kings Dominion, even Michigan's Adventure.

Remember, Cedar Fair listed Valleyfair as one of three parks in the chain slated for significant expansion. We have already seen what they are doing at Carowinds. All new front entrance, Fury 325 and now a slingshot. They are spending around $35 million just this year alone. The Charlotte market is smaller than the Twin Cities plus there is a ton of competition but yet they received an expansion that nobody, except on the inside, saw coming. Cedar Fair doesn't just throw out statements if there is nothing to them. Yes, plans can change but lets look at what they have already done to Valleyfair. They have massively improved the park for families with Planet Snoopy and Route 76. They have added Picnic Point which can feed up to 3000 meals an hour. They have begun bringing Soak City up to Cedar Fair standards with an 8 million dollar expansion that includes the 13th tallest drop slides in the world. The park is being readied for higher attendances. I'm not saying I know what is coming next to Valleyfair but the writings on the wall. Cedar Fair has seen record profits the last few years because they have a sound business model of making each visit to every park "The Best Day Ever". I truly believe that what ever Cedar Fair does with Valleyfair that a few years from now we will look back and say to ourselves, "we never saw that coming!" I'm going to play the part of the optimist here because it's so much more fun than being pessimistic!

^I wholeheartedly agree with you; however, while Valleyfair may be in a larger market, Carowinds was already a much larger park with far higher attendance than Valleyfair. Carowinds was ready for the type of growth it's experiencing with their record breaking giga coaster. I'm not saying Valleyfair won't get a solid, major roller coaster, but the park (as it is) is in no shape for a giga coaster (or the like). I'd love to see Valleyfair build something noteworthy in the enthusiast community, but with the rumors abound for 2016 at other CF parks, I just don't know if 2016 is the year. We'll have to wait and see, but keep a realistic view for what would work with Valleyfair, and a $30 million coaster isn't that.

2016 may not be a coaster year...maybe they'll really concentrate on the waterpark again, and build a custom slide package to maximize the space etc., and save the coaster for 2017. It would still be a great addition... and in terms of boosting a waterpark, doesn't a great slide package=a great rollercoaster?

garyman6 told us from his conversations with David Frazier that Valleyfair will get another waterpark expansion in the near future, but not in 2016. I'd expect it to happen no earlier than 2018. I'm fine with waiting until 2017 for a coaster because there are a few more general improvememts that the park needs before a new coaster. There was a big argument in this thread back in October over whether or not VF needs general improvements before a coaster, and frankly, I have to agree with those that said we need general improvements.

That's a great point, the park does still have areas that can be improved upon. And if they really are considering removing the games behind The Wave, we might just see a year of strategic removals or things moved around within the park to make way for the future additions. All of which is still good news.

^

That's what I was thinking as well. 2016 could possibly be a year of general improvements to prepare for something bigger in 2017, but since I'd still like them get something for their 40th anniversary, maybe 2016 could bring back a few rides that were in the park when it opened and redo a few areas of the park to make them look more nostalgic (this would be similar to how Kings Dominion celebrated their 40th).