TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Untill just reading this, I had no idea this coaster was being built! Im a little slow...

But it looks fun, maybe not Thunderhead fun, but a solid ride for the park. I was impressed with KR and not so much with Gwazi (its all Phildelphia's fault and their damn toboggans) but I agree that GCI's build for out of control smoothness over airtime and lots of hills. KR is a top 5 for me just because of its smothness and how crazy it felt, but the airtime was fairly light.

Colin C

I may be missing something here but when I went on Thunderhead I was constantly leaving my seat. After watching the POV and other videos of Renegade all day, I think this ride will have somewhere between 8-12 airtime moments which is about as much as you have on Thunderhead. However on Thunderhead there is only one long sustained float while Renegade has several. In my opinion this ride has the potential to be an airtime machine and it does not sacrifice any twisting. Anytime you are not up off your seat you are changing direction. It just has more straight parts than Thunderhead due to longer straight floats which is the only thing Thunderhead lacked. I am so happy with the decision of VF and CF for my home park. This is way better than I ever expected for VF.

As a native of Minnesota and former season pass member of Valleyfair, I hate to say that I am disappointed with the layout. Of course it is too early for me to say this because I need to ride it first. When I first saw the layout and POV, my first thought was... Valleyfair could do better than that.

Interestingly enough, that was exactly my thought when I first saw the layout of Wild Thing in 1995 and my thought has not changed since.

Well, you can't please everyone! I think it will make a great addition to our little park here. Remember this isn't Cedar Point or SFMM. In my opinion this is going to blow away everything that Valley Fair already has to offer.

Well, yes Valleyfair cannot please everyone and that is a hard fact. I used to think Valleyfair was one of the "The Engine that Could" parks but I was wrong.

I am so glad I moved to Richmond, which is less than 50 miles from KD and BGE. Just need to clear my schedule to visit each parks for first time!

Okay, let me try to narrate this POV so you can see where all the air is. Noticing all the air on a GCII can be tough unless you have experienced it in person before because GCII just does it a little different.

On the first drop, I guess it is possible to have some type of pop in the back, but I am not counting this element as it really looks more positive g-ish to me. However Thunderheads first drop surprised me so I guess this one could too.

Then you go into the long float second hill. This should be a few seconds of air and it looks similar to the long float hill on Thunderhead going by the station, only on Renegade it is longer and faster at this point. On Thunderhead they had a way of sort of flattening out the top of the long float hill and having it work beautifully and this looks similar.

Then you have the turnaround. The drop out of it looks like a nice pop of air that is similar to elements all over Thunderhead. It will not be long air but you are going fast and it is a nice transition out of the laterals.

Next is a long straight bunny, just good old fashioned fast airtime.

Then you have an s-curve. The exit of each of those two curves could have a light sensation or small air but possibly not as well.

The crest into the next turn could possibly pop the front cars of the train.

And then the exit of that turn is similar to the exit of the first turnaround and very reminiscent of Thunderhead air.

Next is a long turn to the right that should be airless.

That is followed by another fast airtime filled bunny.

Then after a quick turn to the left you have a larger airtime camel back. That should be a long float.

After that you have a crest into a banked turn to the left. A small pop in the front of the train is possible but not too likely here. It might be a rainy day airtime moment.

Then you have the station fly-though airtime bunny. Unlike Thunderhead’s fly-though, this one will be good for the riders as well as the watchers.

That is followed by a quick turn right and then another airtime bunny twisting back left.

Another small hill/turn after that twisting left may or may not give a very small pop.

And finally the last crest into the final brake run may or may not be a small pop.

Of course I don’t know for sure if all these elements will work as I described them, but I do know similar elements worked that way on Thunderhead when I was there and I would suspect GCII can do it again. I would hope the ride would be like what I described on its fast days and it would be even better if it were always like that.

Yeah Steel, have you actually BEEN on a GCI???

They are not known for airtime, they're known for changes of direction, out of control, smoothness, stuff like that. Even the best ones only have little pops of air.

Yes, in fact, Lightning Racer is my number five coaster.

Renegade looks like it will be a fast-paced coaster with some intense floater air (I say floajector because it looks like you'll be thrust upward at the pace of ejector, but stay up at the pace of floater).

Honestly, you people complain forever that GCI hasn't done an out and back yet. Then we get one and you complain that it isn't a twister.

Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't make any sense?

^Valleyfair has something to offer???

*snort* Nice.

But I have to admit, Flying Trapeze is pretty much the coolest thing ever.

That's awesome for Valleyfair. I doubt I'll make it back to the park anytime soon, but it's great to see them finally get a ride that puts them on the map. The park is a nice park, but it just lacks something. Steel Venom is good, but isn't unique at all. Wild Thing is big, but easily ranks last among the hypers I've been on (excluding Manhattan Express). High Roller isn't anything exciting, Excalibur needs to be axed, and Mad Mouse is decent for a mouse. There really isn't any major, really good, unique ride at VF. I'm pretty sure Renegade will do the trick. I'm sure it'll be a really fast pace ride with tons of pops of air in places you would expect it. Kind of like Thunderhead.

I dont understand why all of you people are whining about how this coaster "sucks." Honestly, I think this coaster is one of the best looking out of all the '07s so far. I know you guys have a right to you opinion and all, but c'mon, this thing looks SWEET!

Dear Six Flags Great America,

It has come to my attention that our records show that you have not build a major coaster since 2003. It has been three, now going on four years that you have not built another one. If you do not build a new roller coaster by the 2008 season, we will discontinue our season passes. For your convenience, here is a few parks getting new roller coasters for the 2007 season:

Dollywood - Mystery Mine

Cedar Point - Maverick

Valleyfair - Renegade

Busch Gardens Europe - Griffin

Thanks for your cooperation,

Such and such.

Where in the hell is Valley fair? Is it going to be close to Nashville? If so, I'm there! If not, then I'll have to make a snap judgement as to if I want to travel to VF and get those 7 credits.

Afterall, it is 7 whole credits. As well as braging rights.

The coaster looks pretty cool. OK, you talked me into it. I'm there. Close or not.

^^ I'll be looking forward to shorter lines in 2008 Seriously though, amusement parks are not only about coasters. SFGAm just got a water park last year, and a small coaster the year before that. If coasters are really all you care about, I suggest you pack your bags and move to Valencia, CA. Six Flags Magic Mountain would be a perfect fit for you.

Where in the hell is Valley fair? Is it going to be close to Nashville? If so, I'm there! If not, then I'll have to make a snap judgement as to if I want to travel to VF and get those 7 credits.

Afterall, it is 7 whole credits. As well as braging rights.

The coaster looks pretty cool. OK, you talked me into it. I'm there. Close or not.

Guy, pick me up on your way up, I need those credits also.

-James "and bring a jacket, it's cold up north, california boy!" Dillaman

Valleyfair! is a fun park. This will be a great addition to the park but I wasn't really 'wow'ed by it at all. The S-Curve after the first turn-around looks to be the best part to me.

This could be one that totally blows you away when you ride it but doesn't actually look like much. I'm hopin' that's the case.

(S-Drop does nothin for me. )

I don't see how evaluating the videos is pointless. If they are 100% accurate is really not an issue. They are always close, and we can recognize what they are trying to do based on what that company has done before. Of course you always have to ride the ride to be sure the product will deliver as intended, but I think you can get a pretty good idea of intent by looking at how the park and manufacturer chose to represent the ride both in words and animation as well as the manufacturer's history. My evaluation is they are going for a Thunderhead-like ride with a tad less turns and a tad more air. They could fail, but that is my take on what they are trying to achieve.

Dear Six Flags Great America,

It has come to my attention that our records show that you have not build a major coaster since 2003. It has been three, now going on four years that you have not built another one. If you do not build a new roller coaster by the 2008 season, we will discontinue our season passes. For your convenience, here is a few parks getting new roller coasters for the 2007 season:

Dollywood - Mystery Mine

Cedar Point - Maverick

Valleyfair - Renegade

Busch Gardens Europe - Griffin

Thanks for your cooperation,

Such and such.

Anyone ever tell you that Six Flags Great America is an inanimate object and cannot read?

--Robb "And also people who send letters to inanimate objects are usually known to be INSANE!!!!" Alvey