TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Ride operators don't know anything. At least not anything more than we do.

Steel, I have to disagree with you there. When I worked at Valleyfair for a few weeks during the end of Summer '95, the plans for Wild Thing were hanging up in the office long before the project was made official to the public. It may be that some ride operators aren't INTERESTED, but that doesn't mean that they don't occaisionally have access to info that the general public does not.

^ That seems highly improbable today. Anyone who worked there who had access to those plans before the release to the public, especially knowing cedar fair, would have had to agree to not spill the secret. And when it comes to secrets, the less people who know - the better. As a ride op at PKI, we had inklings of the new ride, for example when IJ was built, we had heard that premier was going to be the builder, but there were a couple ideas that were rumored to be true, including an addams family coaster. I find it doubtful that the plans themselves would just be hung up on a wall somewhere, if anything was put up it would be art for the new ride or some concept pictures.

-James Dillaman

^ Geez, James! Please remember that 10 years ago, the internet was not what it is nowadays. You couldn't sign on to TPR, make an entry in the forum, and have it be read by thousands of people around the world. What could someone do that had seen the plans? Call the news and say "I saw plans for a new coaster at Valleyfair"? There were not digital cameras or camera phones to take secret pictures with to spread around the world. What I'm trying to say is the "rules" for keeping secrets and how the "rumor mill" itself operated were different 10 years ago than they are today, (and I honestly don't remember the announcement of Wild Thing being such a secretive thing). So, it shouldn't seem so unbelievable that a plan for Wild Thing was hanging on the wall in an office at Valleyfair before it was announced to the public. I hope you understand my point and I will try not to take offense to your basically calling me a liar.

^I was more refering to the likelihood of the same thing happening now as slim. After thought, I'd agree that wild thing wasn't really a big secret, but I don't think this is, either. I just said it would be surprising to see plans for a new attraction treated that way, as it wouldn't stay a secret. 10 years ago I wasn't interested in Valleyfair at all, because it was too far a drive from me to really matter what they got, as I couldn't ride it anyway.

-James "misunderstood, sorry" Dillaman

Steel, I have to disagree with you there. When I worked at Valleyfair for a few weeks during the end of Summer '95, the plans for Wild Thing were hanging up in the office long before the project was made official to the public. It may be that some ride operators aren't INTERESTED, but that doesn't mean that they don't occaisionally have access to info that the general public does not.

After what just happened with Maverick, I would be completely shocked.

Well, the announcement is pretty much going to be tomorrow.

Well, it's official now.

The $6.5 million dollar wooden roller coaster built by Great Coasters International will "combine the best features of out-and-back and twister coasters."

Maximum height: 104-feet

Opening drop: 91-feet, banked

Track length: 3,113-feet

Top speed: 52 miles-per-hour

Ride duration: 2 minutes

Other features: A low-to-the-ground high speed "S-turn" and a station fly-by.

News source: http://www.shakopeenews.com/node/675

So it's not themed to that awesome 90s TV show? Well this ride's clearly gonna be lame.

"He was a cop, and good at his job. But then he committed the ultimate sin and testified against other cops - gone bad. Cops who tried to kill him, but got the woman he loved instead. Framed for murder, now he prowls the badlands. An outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter - a RENEGADE!"

I'm still laughing at it now.

This thing looks really nice. That drop looks yummy and the layout overall is just really cool. And Millenium Flyer trains =

What's with Cedar Fair having 2 western-themed coasters at different parks the same year though? And they're 104 and 105 feet tall, respectively.

The Stat's look good for this woodie.

I've just seen the pic of the layout, this is gonna be fun, the park could add some tunnels on some of the curves.

Will the coaster be built in a tree covered area of the Park to make the ride more exciting..?

I will check out the POV when I get home from work.

I've never been on a Great Coasters International woodie, are they silky smooth (I know wood will never be as smooth as a B&M) or rough n ready to bruise you.

Is Lightwater Valley getting a GCI woodie next year..?

I've never been on a Great Coasters International woodie, are they silky smooth or rough n ready to bruise you.

I suppose it depends on whom you ask. They are still woodies built in the traditional way. The MF trains help a lot, but I think GCI does push the extremes of design a bit.

I found Thunderhead to be a bit rough this year after 10 consecutive rides. I felt that Kentucky Rumbler was smoother and more enjoyable.

You're definitely not going to find B&M smoothness in a GCI. Some of the older ones are known to be quite rough, but this is likely just an artifact of the complete lack of woodie maintenance that prevails in most parks.

The jig is up, the news is out, they finally found me!

Looks like a great, original layout somewhat resembling Thunderhead. Valleyfair is definitely on my list for next summer, can't wait! Good to see Cedar Fair going back to building wood.

My favorite part though is how the park hasn't even finished the permit process to build the thing!