TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

43 minutes ago, boldikus said:

As long as you realize you're "thinking" about this the way an enthusiast would, not how a business would.

🤣 You do realize the "business thinking" just threw away their most popular event, right? 

I'm excited to check out the coasters they are building at Lost Island- they look fun, and only a few hours away....the business totally needs to think about this stuff!

Valleyfair's water park isn't bad at all, it's just small and that can make for long lines. Though it is excellent given it's included with the regular ticket price, not a separate park. 

But Valleyfair can't afford to lose Excalibur without a substantial replacement/investment of some kind. Otherwise reducing the dry park size is simply a poor look- when it comes to inviting customers to buy a ticket for the day. 

Very true. But popular also means ticket sales- their main revenue source.

If they somehow figured out how to lose money with the size of crowds they were bringing in, that's a special kind of business sense. You can totally count me as the unwashed ignorant, in that particular case. 😆

21 minutes ago, budtbum said:

If they somehow figured out how to lose money with the size of crowds they were bringing in, that's a special kind of business sense. You can totally count me as the unwashed ignorant, in that particular case. 😆

Could have been primarily passholders, y'know?

1 hour ago, budtbum said:

Bro, popular does NOT mean ticket sales when it's a free event to ALL current passholders.  They should bring it back in a few years as an upcharge like Carowinds and Knotts.

I Agree- if that is the case. 

Valleyfair literally sold out- they were turning people away! (regular ticket sales AND season pass holders had limited spots) So if they had that kind of demand, and lost money, it actually makes my initial point. It's NOT business thinking!  🙃 Yet the business, threw it away. 🤔

I enjoy the shows, I enjoy the rides. Call me an enthusiast or businessman, and my basic answer is the same. More ticket sales should equal more rides and/or shows.  

It's an interesting question though- what draws in more people. The rides or the shows, and which ones? 

Then take it a step further- which do they come back additional times for, to get the repeat sales?

On 5/4/2022 at 9:26 AM, garyman6 said:

Not to my knowledge.  Where they were working seems to point out a bad wheel assemble that caused a lot of drag.  There were no dummies in the train either so that would have contributed to the valley with less weight in the train.

It has gotten stuck there before I know not long after it was put in, usually because it was too cold but they rectified that by heating under the trains in the station to keep the bearings warm and possibly using different grease I don’t recall but I’m surprised it still happens though other than the unusually cold weather recently

On 5/6/2022 at 5:52 PM, coasterbill said:

Adventureland is a 3.5 hour drive from Valleyfair.

Also, they were not bought by Herschend Family Entertainment, they were bought by Palace which is a train wreck of a company.

Oh, Yes, My bad.  It was Palace. 

Let's not forget that Nick U. is also competition for Valleyfair plus the new 350K indoor waterpark cleared another huge hurdle and right now is scheduled to begin construction this summer.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:19 PM, jarmor said:

Bro, popular does NOT mean ticket sales when it's a free event to ALL current passholders.  They should bring it back in a few years as an upcharge like Carowinds and Knotts.

I am friends with the previous GM of Valleyfair.  He told me that Haunt was their MOST profitable time of the year.  So the argument that it was all passholders that didn't spend just doesn't hold water.  Still doesn't make sense why they dropped Haunt.  But I would be even more shocked if  they didn't bring it back especially after they see the significant drop in revenues with this new Halloween event.

24 minutes ago, garyman6 said:

I am friends with the previous GM of Valleyfair.  He told me that Haunt was their MOST profitable time of the year.  So the argument that it was all passholders that didn't spend just doesn't hold water.  Still doesn't make sense why they dropped Haunt.  But I would be even more shocked if  they didn't bring it back especially after they see the significant drop in revenues with this new Halloween event.

Oh shit, we got someone above the Dippin' Dots guy!  Stop the presses!

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2022 at 8:13 AM, garyman6 said:

They are dropping Haunt temporarily to make way for the new giga coaster supports. Then after that they'll have the ability to reconfigure the mazes around the new coaster.😂

For "not knowing anyone that goes to the waterpark after 2015", the area was and still is absolutely packed. 

Before COVID maybe 10 visits a summer I'd go to the waterpark and not ride a single dry ride, and even with filling in the area behind the beer stand it's still nearly impossible to find a recliner on a warm day. The other times I'd spend most of the day in the waterpark and maybe ride Wild Thing, Xtreme Swing, or the drop tower on the way out.  

• 2 weeks later...

So Valleyfair, when announcing that High Roller was getting painted, teased that another Favorite ride was also getting repainted and challenged us to find out which ride.

The answer?

Extreme Swing!  Looks fantastic again!  Bright, Shiny, Red, White and Blue colors.  High Roller also looks awesome.  Really brightened it up!

• 1 month later...

So with California's Great America closing in anywhere up to the next 11 years, does anyone picture any of their rides making its way over to Valleyfair? Personally, I would love to see their B&M floorless or invert make its way over to VF, but honestly with the way that Cedar Fair treats VF, who knows. 

I hate to be a party pooper, but I can't really see either B&M being relocated. They are both some of B&M's earliest creations and are 30+ years old (or will be when CGA closes). They both also use a bit of terrain, which isn't the end of the world but is still a factor nonetheless.

Given that Cedar Fair hasn't relocated any rides within their chain in the last 10 years, I have a feeling the only plausible relocation will be Railblazer since it is fairly new and seemingly easy to relocate and reconstruct, and it is still highly marketable. That would be an excellent fit at Valleyfair.

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2022 at 7:04 PM, Donomike05 said:

Not going to get my hopes up but that time of year is coming around again. Any new rumors or speculation revolving a 2023 addition to the park? 

Valleyfair's social media has been about as dry as this thread recently with not hinting at anything, so in my mind that means VF is getting nothing next year. With all the attention that other Cedar Fair parks are getting, the chances of them spending any money on VF is very low in my mind. If we're lucky we'll see some new trash cans next year.🥲😂

• Haha 1

Check out Screamscape!  A new tictok hint was just dropped about clearing in Dino's area.  I can confirm that all the pavement has been removed from the area.  I saw this just a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garyman6 said:

Check out Screamscape!  A new tictok hint was just dropped about clearing in Dino's area.  I can confirm that all the pavement has been removed from the area.  I saw this just a couple of weeks ago.

Flight Deck would be so perfect there!!!!!

Is the Dino area where they are running the monster trucks?

But even if it's years from now, that location is prime area for a new ride, eventually. If they did put in a coaster there, I hope they keep the trees to fly by. Or have they clear cut the whole area?

I'll be going to the park tomorrow to look and see.  I don't think monster trucks are located there but it's opening soon so I should be able to see where they are doing it.

Also, Adventureland in Iowa just announced another new family coaster and log flume.  Valleyfair has to have an answer for this.  Hopefully tomorrows announcement will be good news for Valleyfair.