TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Obviously this list isn’t very good but I don’t know... if someone walked up to me and told me that their favorite thrill ride in Minnesota was Avatar Airbender I could totally see it. Honestly if I were to ask Brit what her favorite ride in Minnesota was (besides Log Chute which isn’t a thrill ride so it wouldn’t be on this list) I would almost bet money that she would say Avatar Airbender. That ride is great.

How dare you go against Delirious, the 2018 USA Today 3rd place contender for best new ride.

Obviously this list isn’t very good but I don’t know... if someone walked up to me and told me that their favorite thrill ride in Minnesota was Avatar Airbender I could totally see it. Honestly if I were to ask Brit what her favorite ride in Minnesota was (besides Log Chute which isn’t a thrill ride so it wouldn’t be on this list) I would almost bet money that she would say Avatar Airbender. That ride is great.

How dare you go against Delirious, the 2018 USA Today 3rd place contender for best new ride.

Couple of thoughts for this year:

* The way they've spruced up Planet Snoopy is nice, but are the Peanuts character relevant for kids nowadays? The last comic strip was before they were born.

* Seems to be issues with the food service with slow and bad service, serving different items then on the web site, and malfunctioning menu boards. This seem to be slowly improving.

* There's a nice large seating area at Coasters and the Red Garter Saloon where you can get out of the elements for a bit. Another one or two more towards the front and right side of the park would be nice. Do they really need two duplicate gifts shops at the entrance? If not the one shared with Starbucks could be additional seating, and maybe they could rebuild another one, perhaps Panda Express, in part of the Dino Graveyard while still leaving room for what everyone here wants.

* North Star seems to be having a lot of issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped by VF last Friday for a couple laps since I had not visited the park since opening weekend. I finally saw the Peanuts celebration set up and I now get the joke, hopefully it works out for the park. I took some quick pictures on my phone of what the park did for this to share. The concept is modeled a little like the Brew and BBQ at CP. You buy tickets for food and drink and there are booth’s placed near and around Camp Snoopy. So while your riding rides or watching the new Peanuts shows, kids and parents now have new food and drink options conveniently close by.

IMG_0692.thumb.jpg.6c7de43b56cdb207d11bf8f9d3f1377a.jpg

Here is the updated welcome to Valleyfair entry sign right after you get in the gates.

IMG_0706.thumb.jpg.c5fc7ff8b8dd863eee6728d089b218df.jpg

Then right next to the entry sign is a post explaining how Charles Schultz was born and raised in St. Paul, MN and wrote/released his first Peanuts comic here.

IMG_0693.thumb.jpg.65a24940ee5eb299b5468da42cd10dcf.jpg

Snoopy and Woodstock. Talked to the DIppin’ Dots guy just behind Snoop. Asked him what new attractions VF was getting next year and he said, “Nothing, now that CF bought some new waterparks.” I believe him.

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.f0cc71b0eb020a6dbd35379176a73e6a.jpg

Charlie.

IMG_0695.thumb.jpg.862fd0de1c5ad1ce0628dd5cb8397c73.jpg

Snoop and his balloons in front of the soon to be extinct Dino’s.

IMG_0696.thumb.jpg.e1c1df342967dc7be59b27c61bed728b.jpg

They have a few of these set up with different characters where you can take pictures with/in them.

IMG_0698.thumb.jpg.f79d6d9cdeea06ddb0eb6008f2b15391.jpg

A well played theme here. The Kite Eating Tree. Too easy, yet perfect.

IMG_0700.thumb.jpg.fc867f0a31ff72bccaca2ab87af992f7.jpg

A shot of the new Peanuts performance stage. Corkscrew loading station in the back right to give you an idea where this is. A shade cover over the audience would be a nice post addition next year.

IMG_0701.thumb.jpg.b3f5a4984eea849a2c77cf0734743391.jpg

Here is one of the food/beverage booth’s. They have a dozen of them. This one is for ‘Not so Spicy Enchalda’s’ and ‘Joe’s Swedish Meatballs’. Also a different comic in every booth.

IMG_0703.thumb.jpg.274b31504206b5c7d18375b8e64f519f.jpg

Organic Green Snoopy. They also have one of Charlie Brown just as you walk in the park under the arch. I just forgot to take a picture of it.

IMG_0704.thumb.jpg.665b2551b32c9844d7a1a045664fe160.jpg

VF’s 2019 New Hotness! …..The new Coke/ICEE Refill Station on the back side of the Breaker’s slides.

IMG_0705.thumb.jpg.988bc227c42dacec54c485e987fa467a.jpg

I hit High Roller, Renegade (2), Wild Thing and Steel Venom and as usual could not get on Excalibur before noon. Are there any other parks that do not open a roller coaster at rope drop if it is operational? Oh well, at least the Dino’s are leaving so that is progress.

^ Seriously? Excalibur is closed 1/3 of a normal operating day everyday? And despite reduced operating time it still does not attract enough riders for a full train. I guess this is what it takes to make sense to run that coaster. Come on CF, time to move on and come up with a replacement.

Earlier in the year Excalibur and Thunder Canyon opened at 11am I believe towards the end of June I noticed they started to closed two hours early I heard from a Renegade team lead it had to do with cutting back on budget. Now the back of the park is open noon till roughly 8pm closes two hours early every day now I don’t think it has to do with empty trains on Excalibur because I’ve also seen Renegade running two trains almost empty sometimes more so has to do with budget.

I've been to the park almost every weekend so far this year. Mostly Sundays, but crowds seem to be average at best compared to past years. One train waits on everything except Renegade until peak afternoon 2-3pm.

Most popular rides are the park are easily Renegade, North Star, and Xtreme Swing. Those lines are consistently the longest each visit.

Blue Power Tower is back up. Looks like it received a new cart and some new seat cushions.

No sign of activity in the park of the park as far as construction goes.

The park seriously needs something new in the games midway. Been said before, but a Raptor/Sky Rocket II would be perfect there and be a cost effective filler before the waterpark expansion or a larger coaster in place of the dinos. That midway is always dead while the Corkscrew/Monster/Ferris Wheel midway is always packed with people hanging out.

I'd be curious to see how the Peanuts Celebration affected attendance. I never really noticed Planet Snoopy any busier than usual during those weekends and we have a 4 and 2 year old, so we spend a majority of our visit there.

I have also been to the park almost every single day this year so far. One of the areas they could expand is the midway games area. The games area is almost dead every time I've visit the park. They could take out the left side of the midway games and put a nice size RMC RailBlazer there. Rip Tide section of the park and move the lift hill down more by bumper cars and perhaps run the track up towards the front of the park by the midway stage area or rap it around The Wave. You have plenty of space there on the Rip Tide side of the games area for a new coaster even a B&M could fit there to. Of course the other area to expand would be in the Dino area and my dream is to have a B&M Banshee with a new remodel front gate plaza like Worlds of Fun got. I visited there a week ago and there new plaza area looks nice. I also really think Valleyfair needs new modern shops and a new guest service building, new restroom with a new front plaza that's been there since 1976. I've also heard from a few people in the park it might be a couple more years before Valleyfair gets a new coaster. I'm going to say possibly water park for 2020 season maybe new park improvements.

I personally believe Cedar Fair’s next move has to be adding on to the water park. Right now, we have a good foundation - but there needs to be more.

I think that if Looping Starship is removed, there is enough room for a large addition (i.e. mat racer).

Completely separate- I think the outdoor stage by the Galaxy Theater has seen its last days. This year, the Chick-fil-a stand is right there. While this plot of land is so small that it’s not really usable, I could see a more permanent Chick-fil-a restaurant/stand being built.

Valleyfair’s attendance seems down this year. Let’s hope for some change this offseason with a new addition.

How is the river doing behind the park in terms of flooding? I was planning on going to the park on Saturday, but see a heavy thunderstorm possibly in the forecast tomorrow night. I could stop in tomorrow if the waters are getting high.

They could just raze the stage, but the seating area is nice for overflow from the nearby food stands and as a venue for the corn roast.

If they want to build a permanent Chik-Fil-A the logical spot is the existing Chicken Shack, which seems to be underutilized.

• 2 weeks later...

Great imagination, but I highly doubt it!!

Personally, not expecting much for 2020. Could see something as minimal as adding like a Grand Carnival festival and a nice sit-down restaurant. 2020 may be a dud, especially if they have some semi-major plans for the dino's lot for 2021 (which I would hope they do). At least make it a custom Raptor if a B&M is out of the question..

We should find out within the next 45 days if VF is getting any new attractions for 2020. I don't think anything is coming which is fine with me provided something arrives in 2021. The park will now have a sizable plot of land in a prominent location at the front of the park which will now be vacant due to the announced leaving of the Dino's after October this year. The park also has an approved construction plan at local and state level to move wetlands to create a new parking lot and a water park expansion at the back of the park according to the plans. If something doesn't come in 2021 to occupy one of these two area's (especially with the new mega water park being built at Mall of America now) then CF should just probably order a new entry sign for the park that reads 'Michigan Adventure West'.

We should find out within the next 45 days if VF is getting any new attractions for 2020.

I think we'll know by this time next week..

CF should just probably order a new entry sign for the park that reads 'Michigan Adventure West'.

Let's not get carried away here. We have gotten 2 new thrill rides the last 3 years..

If the water park entrance project does come to reality, I wonder if Cedar Fair would re-theme the water park again using their new "Shores" branding. "Minnesota Shores" Maybe something with more of a lake theme. "10,000 Shores" "Lakeside Shores" "South Metro Shores" That's all I got..