TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

valleyfair doesn’t attract many tourists. And the locals who visit valleyfair are tired of riding the same rides year after year with only a minor addition to look forward to.

As a local myself I totally agree with this statement.

I think enthusiasts have a tendency to underestimate the power of those Larson loops. It actually garnered a fair bit of attention with people telling folks in my family stuff like "you gotta try the new Delirious". There's a surprising number of people talking about it, at least where I'm at, so I wouldn't say it's entirely ineffective. Is it a spike on the same level as a major coaster addition? Absolutely not, but there's definitely people excited about the ride (and it's a good ride that's new why wouldn't they be).

I also find it hard to believe that a lack of a major coaster addition is the single cause of a less busy park (And I can't say I've noticed it's that much less busy, on my visits this year it has seemed pretty typical for crowds, but I'm not there as much as others in this thread are). Especially considering that this decrease in attendance appears to be affecting parks nationwide.

To be the yang to your yin, I've talked with a lot of non enthusiasts in Minnesota about Delirious, and I usually get a luke warm response at best, and a "I've ridden that at the local traveling fair" at worst. I did overhear someone excited about it in Gurnee, but those people have been few and far between.

I can't talk for the guests in park, as I haven't visited Valleyfair since the ride opened and even when I have a season pass, I don't plan on going back to the park until they add something that will make it worth my while... unless someone drags me along.

With 2018's addition of Delirious and the decorative lighting package in the midway, I think it's safe to say that they are done with improvements to Route 76 for now.

I'm going out on a limb and predicting that they will finally begin the expansion project in the back of the park. We all know that the scope of work back there can't be done over a winter off season. They will be working on it all next year. So, here it is. Removal of Excalibur but not till mid season. Extension of the flood berm. New access roadway to admin area. Other flood mitigation projects that were part of the approved permit. By the end of next season the new parking lot will be completed. The old roadway and berm will be removed (No more tunnel). A new entrance in the back. This all pretty much has to happen within the same project scope. I personally think that will will also see new footers for either a waterpark expansion for 2020 or a new roller coaster for 2020. And, to get people really excited! Removal of Looping starship at close of the this season and a new slide complex added for 2019. Possibly a matt racer or tornado!

We have to remember, Delirious and the lighting package didn't cost all that much. In fact, most of the improvements to Route 76 were not very costly. North Star was probably the biggest investment but could'd have been more then 3 million. Valleyfair and Cedar Fair aren't going to take 3 plus years to gain a very difficult permit and then not use it. So, that's my predictions for the next two years actually. Time to focus on the back of the park for awhile now!

My useless future predictions:

2019 - New water slide to replace looping starship/Excalibur early removal

2020 - New water park entrance and parking lot/Dino's Alive removal at season end

2021 - New coaster in Dino's spot

2022 - General Improvement/Start of the next 15 year coaster drought..

I wonder if the flooding this summer caused any delays in the project. Hope next year's flooding is minimal if that was the case.

We have to remember, Delirious and the lighting package didn't cost all that much. In fact, most of the improvements to Route 76 were not very costly. North Star was probably the biggest investment but could'd have been more then 3 million.

While I do not have the exact numbers, I do believe that both North Star and Delirious are not expensive by any means compared to other types of flats such as Xtreme Swing or Riptide. So yes, the Route 76 improvements more than likely did not break the bank. I do believe the 2015 water park expansion was a sizeable investment and involved some surprise infrastructure improvements as well. Valleyfair is due for a significant investment, so I hope one happens in the next couple years!

My useless future predictions:

2019 - New water slide to replace looping starship/Excalibur early removal

2020 - New water park entrance and parking lot/Dino's Alive removal at season end

2021 - New coaster in Dino's spot

2022 - General Improvement/Start of the next 15 year coaster drought...

The Dino's spot is interesting. KI just removed theirs after 7 years and they added them in 2011. VF added theirs in 2013 so if they follow the KI timeline they would leave at the end of 2019. The Dino's cover such a big prime space at the front of the park for VF you would imagine if they remove them that they will add something right away because of that. Forgot about the Looping Star Ship, removing that would create space for the water park to add something so that is a possibility. Still no work permits issued by the city for VF yet but I will post then as soon as I find out if/when that happens.

I don't think they'll remove The Wave it's popular on hot day's and we only have two water ride's The Wave and Thunder Canyon. The Dino area will possibly be the spot for the next coaster I did a walk through the other day there's a tone of space back there and the old picnic ground's they can use that area for future expansion I could see them possibly remove The Wave and bring back the Log Flume there's a lot of space right by Corkscrew. I think if you bring back the Log Flume would have more ridership vrs The Wave?

I think it would be nice to get another thrill-flat ride, especially if they take out Looping Starship. We really haven't gotten good (if any) replacements when these rides leave; with possible exception to Enterprise. I miss having some of the "fair" type rides such as topspin, chaos, bayern kurve, and even the so-called skycoaster. If we can't have a new roller coaster, I think they should invest in two or three "new" flat rides to fill in the spaces around the park for next year.

Except that larger people can fit on Looping Starship and not Delirious; that and Looping Starship can be a bit more 'extreme' in the hangtime upside down if the operator hits the speed just right. A couple of times I was hanging upside down for a solid twenty to thirty seconds and that just doesn't happen ever on Delirious

I don't think they'll remove The Wave it's popular on hot days and we only have two water rides The Wave and Thunder Canyon.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas removed their chute the chutes for a Raptor. From what I've heard, Six Flags Over Georgia's has been SBNO for most of the year. Fewer water rides will mean more people will go into the water park.

^Yeah Haunt stuff is up and I'm excited, there's a lot of change for this upcoming Haunt season. I'll put all the changes here in this post so people don't have to go over to VF's website.

First off, scare-zone news.

MaSCAREade is new this year, and Bloodcreek is out. I would think that MaSCAREade will take the place of Bloodcreek but they haven't updated their map so I can't say.

Valleyfair’s newest scare zone showcases the beauty of the French Revolution. Keep a lookout throughout the night because at this masquerade everyone has something to hide. During the day, kids will be greeted by friendly 18th Century royalty attending their masquerade ball. Once the sun goes down, however, the royalty and their guests will be transformed and their true forms will be shown. Dark horrors await you as you enter the world of masked madness at this frightening haunted attraction. The deep dark world behind the centuries-old tradition is revealed with extreme horror and gore. Located on the Midway, wander through this elegant labyrinth and be sure to stay close to your friends or you may find yourself stuck a timeless loop of beauty and fear. Mix and mingle with the crème de la crème of society but beware; sometimes the mask is there for a reason…

I'm intrigued by the use of "labyrinth" and "endless circle" in the description of a scarezone, sounds like something you'd find in a maze description. I'm curious what this will look like.

Maze news:

Humane Habitat is out this year. Looks like it'll be replaced by Undertakers

The wandering souls of Blood Creek Cemetery have found their final resting place in Valleyfair’s newest maze, Undertakers. They've been haunting the cemetery for years, but now they are searching for new souls to add to their graveyard. Have you ever wondered what will happen after you die? You can find out as you journey through the stages of death. Mausoleums, headstones and coffins line the horrifying maze — hiding demonic villains who can jump out any moment. Take care to ensure you make it out alive and watch out for the Undertaker himself who has been sighted roaming the grounds. Ghosts have risen from below and roam searching for fresh souls. Unfortunately, you have no choice but to face them dead-on. Distant screams can be heard echoing throughout the grave yard from those already found by the evil army. Watch your back, because there is always a reason to be scared of the dark.

Zombie High is being reworked into a blackout maze - cleverly named "Zombie High: In The Dark"

The infection started as a high school science project gone bad. A slight fog hung above the hardwood floors and echoes of pain bounced off the walls. A simple experiment led to an outbreak that would cover the world in days. No one was prepared for the chaos that ensued - the dead were no longer dead and no one was safe. Welcome to where it all started...welcome to the last school that you will ever attend. Valley High School has been overrun with zombies. The power has completely gone out and there are no lights in the entire school. The only thing you and your friends have to get through alive is a flashlight. Try to remain unbitten as you snake your way through haunted halls and creepy classrooms. Stay cautious - the walking dead students aren't ready to let you graduate...ALIVE! Can you make it through this black out maze with just a flashlight to guide you? It's true what they say - high school never ends.

Finally, Entertainment news:

- No more Hacks I'm really bummed about this, they were always a highlight of the experience.

- Blood Drums is back at Gazebo this year.

- DJ Tek is moving to Midway Stage.

Something else I noticed is that they chopped an hour off of the Sunday hours this year, now closing at 6:00 instead of 7:00. Looks like a really good year for Haunt - other than the removal of Hacks all the changes sound really positive and I'm pumped for September 22nd when it all kicks off!

I think a RMC Raptor would be a great addition to replace the north side of the games midway. Comparing the general size on google maps, I think it would fit when stretched from Riptide to the Midway Stage (Scrambler's old spot). I think that would be a good fit to that part of the park. Yes, it is a roller coaster, but I think it would be a very cost effective attraction for the park. Should be under $10 million easy and would not break the bank for the Water Park expansion project the following year. Also, if the park was worried about pushback from removing a coaster in Excalibur, adding a cheaper RMC Raptor the same year you intend to retire Excalibur would silence a few people (probably not though...).

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense with the removal of Riptide this year and Excalibur's pending doom with the Army Corp proposal. Construction wouldn't have to be started until September/October either for a ride of that stature as Riptide is already removed and there wouldn't be much else to demo (just a few trees, games building, and concrete). Valleyfair's late opening date also could warrant a late start for construction.

The low capacity shouldn't be horrible at Valleyfair either, but busy days it would still be worth the wait as I've heard these pack quite the punch!

I think a RMC Raptor would be a great addition to replace the north side of the games midway. Comparing the general size on google maps, I think it would fit when stretched from Riptide to the Midway Stage (Scrambler's old spot). I think that would be a good fit to that part of the park. Yes, it is a roller coaster, but I think it would be a very cost effective attraction for the park. Should be under $10 million easy and would not break the bank for the Water Park expansion project the following year. Also, if the park was worried about pushback from removing a coaster in Excalibur, adding a cheaper RMC Raptor the same year you intend to retire Excalibur would silence a few people (probably not though...).

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense with the removal of Riptide this year and Excalibur's pending doom with the Army Corp proposal. Construction wouldn't have to be started until September/October either for a ride of that stature as Riptide is already removed and there wouldn't be much else to demo (just a few trees, games building, and concrete). Valleyfair's late opening date also could warrant a late start for construction.

The low capacity shouldn't be horrible at Valleyfair either, but busy days it would still be worth the wait as I've heard these pack quite the punch!

couldn’t agree more

“Valleyfair realist since 2001”

^That's why I said a 5 million RMC Raptor..not a 20 million dollar B&M..

I'm still the realest mofo around..

If Valleyfair was reciving a raptor for 2019, we would of seen the signs by now. Just look back at CGA and even SFFT before their 2018 announcements. I’m saying general improvements and maybe a small flat.

^That's why I said a 5 million RMC Raptor..not a 20 million dollar B&M..

I'm still the realest mofo around..

If Valleyfair was reciving a raptor for 2019, we would of seen the signs by now. Just look back at CGA and even SFFT before their 2018 announcements. I’m saying general improvements and maybe a small flat.

Still think there is plenty of time. That area is basically a clean slate and it wouldn't need to be ready until May. I'm not saying it's gonna happen. Just saying it would work well with the parks timeline and Cedar Fairs trend towards more cost effective attractions. The games midway is kind of a dead zone, and a ride like a RMC Raptor would liven it up nice.

If I had to bet money I would bet a flat or water slide, but I wouldn't be completely shocked with a RMC Raptor.

Gonna call it now, General Improvement year. Mark my words.

Hard to argue with this. All signs (or lack there of) point to this and the park has not had a 'general improvement' year for a while now so it is probably due. I would be totally fine with that provided we see some action on the proposed expansion for the park next year.

I’m leaning towards thinking it’ll be a general improvement year as well, though I wouldn’t completely rule out a new ride just yet. In late 2013, everyone thought VF wasn’t adding anything and then Route 76 came out of nowhere so there’s still a possibility.