TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Do u guys think they'll keep Excalibur a couple years to RMC it?

Honestly, this would be an amazing idea, but won't happen. The water park is such a big draw and would be a much better investment for the park. But, the idea of what RMC would do to that twisty layout on Excalibur is an exciting dream! I think there's a better chance of High Roller getting the RMC treatment!

I'll be visiting this park for the first time over Labor Day weekend. How crazy do you guys expect crowds to be? Does this park get really busy? What coasters have the worst waits? Thanks for your help

Last year Labor Day Saturday and Sunday were moderately busy but not too bad, and Labor Day itself was mostly dead. I'd hit Mad Mouse, North Star, Renegade, and Xtreme Swing early since those can get decent lines, other than that everything else shouldn't be more than a 15 minute wait.

I'll be visiting this park for the first time over Labor Day weekend. How crazy do you guys expect crowds to be? Does this park get really busy? What coasters have the worst waits? Thanks for your help

Last year Labor Day Saturday and Sunday were moderately busy but not too bad, and Labor Day itself was mostly dead. I'd hit Mad Mouse, North Star, Renegade, and Xtreme Swing early since those can get decent lines, other than that everything else shouldn't be more than a 15 minute wait.

Thanks for the info!

Nobody knows if the new entrance is coming next year, it could be 2-3 years off or it could happen next year. We will have a better idea in the next 45 days after we hear what is or what is not announced. Interesting question though, I would hope they some how could include Thunder Canyon in with the water park because it is a solid water ride and would get more use if people already in the park could just get on in since they are already in swim wear. I would like to see them include it in with the water park yet also have another queue line to the dry part of the park also. But as you mentioned, you could also see them eventually getting rid of it for something else down the road. Still no work or demolition permits issued by the city of Shakopee for VF yet. Donomike05's report on the progress of the new employee lot and service road work now has me leaning towards a new back entrance and parking lot not happening next year but the year after. But that is just my opinion, hopefully I am wrong because anything can be accomplished in any time frame. It just depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

A couple things... I still think the waterpark expansion/entrance won't happen for a couple years. I just think the overall project is bigger that what we are thinking... I'm thinking a 2-year phase... back-stage stuff first and the parking lot, entrance and expansion the following year, but with Excalibur being removed during off-season this year or next. And a new ride for the dry park in 18. Just my theory.

As for Thunder Canyon: Dorney Park has their rapids ride shared with the dry park and the waterpark, there is an entrance from each park, so I'm sure they can figure out something.

991139176_ScreenShot2017-07-14at6_10_57PM.thumb.png.d3d2a6c9b81977867958d0681451524a.png

Speaking of Thunder Canyon:

- This year, they added bins to the platforms; you can leave loose articles in the bins.

- The geyser near the end of the ride rarely works.

- The sprinkler at the end of the ride is either turned off or has been removed; this is the one that got everybody VERY wet.

- Only about half of the water guns near the entrance actually work well.

- Valleyfair doesn't seem to see the need to staff the ride operator booths that are in the ride. These ride operators used to have a microphone and tell people to sit down/fasten seatbelt, etc.

So, why would I speak elaborately of all these changes? It seems as if Valleyfair is not putting much work into Thunder Canyon. While I love the ride, I could see it leaving in the future. No one would walk all the way back JUST for Thunder Canyon. Now here's an interesting idea, however. What if Thunder Canyon became part of Soak City after Excalibur was removed? If they removed the clothing rules, that could work very well.

What are your thoughts? Comments? Share below!

I'd honestly say the opposite with VF working on TC. There have several improvements over the past year or two that have improved operations, bins being one example.

I've also heard the idea of merging TC with the waterpark ever since I've heard the rumor of the water park expansion, but in a "wouldn't this make sense" kinda way rather then a hearsay rumor.

I'm confused, why would it matter if the rapids ride is in the theme park or water park side? Are there parks that won't let shirtless guys or bikini'd girls ride rapids rides?

Carowinds always used to let us take our shirts / tops off so we could just ride in our bathing suits. It never seemed like a weird thing or an issue? We'd just put them back on before we left the wet rides.

EDIT: after posting I realized that several parks (namely Disney or Universal ones) might have issues with this. But do Six Flags or CF parks care? That seems weird.

Valleyfair's dresscode policy instates that bikini bottoms are not allowed outside of Soak City and men and boys MUST wear a shirt outside of Soak City. Because of Thunder Canyon being in the park, and not Soak City, riders must follow the dresscode policy.

Valleyfair's dresscode policy instates that bikini bottoms are not allowed outside of Soak City and men and boys MUST wear a shirt outside of Soak City. Because of Thunder Canyon being in the park, and not Soak City, riders must follow the dresscode policy.

Dorneys dresscode says that shoes, shirts and shorts but be worn on the dry side at all times, EXCEPT for when riding White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.

Dont see why it would be such a big problem if people took their shirts off to ride it at VF.

Dorneys dresscode says that shoes, shirts and shorts but be worn on the dry side at all times, EXCEPT for when riding White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.

Dont see why it would be such a big problem if people took their shirts off to ride it at VF.

Exactly! If they made access to Thunder Canyon from the water park, I doubt that altering the dress code would be an issue. They wouldn't go through the trouble and money of making a path to the ride from the water park, just to not have it used because people from the water park are not wearing shirts and shoes.

Exactly! If they made access to Thunder Canyon from the water park, I doubt that altering the dress code would be an issue. They wouldn't go through the trouble and money of making a path to the ride from the water park, just to not have it used because people from the water park are not wearing shirts and shoes.

Dorneys is next the the waterpark, with a small path that leads to the entrance of Thunder Canyon.

jkjkj.thumb.jpg.cb60ddf71562f58eaa025fe1b88dce46.jpg

If you have never been to dorney, here is their Thunder Canyon.

How come on the right side of Power Tower the turbo drop side makes a loud noise before going up? Does maintenance know about it? If there only going to run one turbo drop they should keep the left side open instead of the right.

Operated Power Tower fall of 2016. It's normal.

Was Excalibur open over Labor Day last weekend? Planning on going this Labor Day. Just wondering what I should expect.

Walking around the dry park in swimming suits seems to be kind of tolerated in that I don't see park employees trying to clamp down on it and they don't have the dress code police stationed at the entrance like I've seen at Six Flags. And once someone took my shirt in the waterpark so I had to walk out to my car shirtless and no one bothered me (although I did kind of wrap myself in my towel). But you can't enter the park or go on rides that way. There was a 20 minute delay at Riptide once, turns out a girl wanted to go on in her swimming suit and was arguing with employees and wouldn't leave.

One thing they could do is just connect the existing path to the new parking lot and not enforce the dress code at that gate. This would allow people to go from the dry park to Thunder Canyon or a future coaster, or from cars to the waterpark in swimming suits. And they could do it without knocking down the old waterpark. Not that they shouldn't do it anyway but they could wait a year or two after the big parking lot work.

I think really the only people who enforce the dress code policy (only on the paths) is PR and administration. I saw them bring two kids in through the gate by Mad Mouse to put their clothes back on.

Yes, admissions and park services are both stricter with dresscode policies, but it's better to hear it up front then in the back and have to walk all the way to your car, right? And if you show up to a family amusement park wearing clothes riddled with profanity? I mean what do you expect?

So was walking into valleyfair today and I saw 3 tractors going to the back of the employee parking lot behind renagade, along either that I noticed portable light towers behind renagade. I don't know what they were doing but there is around 8 pickup trucks driving all around the employing parking lot.

IMG_5611.thumb.JPG.ab04a4d6a351020390bfa3e843f76628.JPG

IMG_5611.thumb.JPG.abc276516a01a11d8a3b7e5697853e3a.JPG