TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

AFAIK, it's still slated for expansion. It seems a lot of people equate "expansion" with "giant new coaster." And sure, who wouldn't want one? But that isn't the first or second thing the park needs. My kids loved the place, and the only complaint we had was that we ran out of things to do in the waterpark sooner than we would have liked. It seems VF's expansion is going to be waterpark-focused, and much as the enthusiasts will bitch about it, that is the right direction.

Is it really news that VF is considered a Family park and that CGA is ranked higher for expansion? I thought this was already common knowledge.

We know that CGA would be ranked higher for expansion. We just thought that with the approvals from the Army Corps and the city coming in that we might see some work on an expansion for 2018 or 2019. Also (this doesn't relate with your reply) what does VF/Dave mean when the say VF is more of a family park because when I think of a family park I just think of a whole lot of kiddie rides and only a couple good coasters for the older kids/enthusiast side.

AFAIK, it's still slated for expansion. It seems a lot of people equate "expansion" with "giant new coaster." And sure, who wouldn't want one? But that isn't the first or second thing the park needs. My kids loved the place, and the only complaint we had was that we ran out of things to do in the waterpark sooner than we would have liked. It seems VF's expansion is going to be waterpark-focused, and much as the enthusiasts will bitch about it, that is the right direction.

I agree. VF and CGA both are in need of upgrades. We should not forget that CGA was almost sold when CF and the city of Santa Clara were at an impasse about parking when they started building Levi Stadium next door. That was also when CF's 'Fun Forward' strategic plan came about, with Carowinds and Valleyfair listed as "growth parks." And we VF junkies went on a speculation free-for-all. Things can change quickly. I think CGA moved to the front of the line because of the zoning changes approved by the city of Santa Clara. Had the Army Corps of Engineers and the city of Shakopee given VF the green light to start its expansion BEFORE CGA got its zoning changes, I'd bet that VF's water park expansion would be well underway, if not already completed.

As far as a new coaster at VF, I agree with what most have suggested is the likely placement - some sort of medium-sized coaster on the Dinosaurs Alive site once that lease ends. Fingers crossed for a B&M, but at this point I'll take anything. Also, I haven't heard anything about the fate of Boomerang after it was removed from Knotts. Although Matt Ouimet has stated he's not a fan of ride relocation, there's no indication that the ride was scrapped or sold - plus, it was recently refurbished and got a new train. While Michigan's Adventure seems like the obvious place for it, I wouldn't count VF out of the running for it either.

Is it really news that VF is considered a Family park and that CGA is ranked higher for expansion? I thought this was already common knowledge.

Yes it is, ever since GCA got the approval from Santa Clara to expand parking.

. It seems VF's expansion is going to be waterpark-focused, and much as the enthusiasts will bitch about it, that is the right direction.

It is the right direction and the #1 need for the park and VF's regulars totally understand this. The water park is too small for demand and CF will get it's return on investment faster through a water park expansion than anything else. Hopefully it is so successful it will spawn or encourage other investment. My guess is with a dedicated parking lot and a couple more attractions it will be a big success.

Most people understand VF will never get a top line coaster but should at least get a good one as a replacement once Excalibur leaves. Somewhere between 2500-3000 foot long modern steel coaster should be realistic. The park's last inverted loop was added in 1980. It will be interesting to see who they name as the manufacturer and what type of coaster.

To be honest if we got a refurbished boomerang I wouldn't be upset I would be excited because we would at least get another coaster and than a couple years down the road we'll most likely get the invert and we'll have 1 extra roller coaster.

I actually wouldn't mind getting a Boomerang either as long as it's smooth. The two I've ridden (the ones at Carowinds and Worlds of Fun) were both decently fun rides.

I know the Knotts Boomerang had its train bodies thrown in the trash (there is a photo out there of them in a dumpster) and the rumor I heard was a brand new Vekoma Train was purchased recently... so put two and two together.

My thoughts of the Boomerang coming to Valleyfair has been very unpopular with some of the readers here, but I still think there may be a 50/50 chance of it coming, refurbished with a new train. I thought CGA was going to get it, and it still might, but who knows. Cedar Fair mentioned they will be building 4 new coasters for 2018, so I hope the Boomerang isn't considered one of those "new ones" and they in fact install 5 coasters next year.

As for the "family park" thoughts... Nick U is considered family and they have some pretty wild and thrilling stuff, so I wouldn't get all stressed that VF won't get anything wild in the future.

I honestly would not feel sad about our next coaster being a boomerang. This 10-year coaster drought (and more years to come) really put us in check. I am happy with the current park anyways, I can make a full day from 10am to 6pm. I just don't see a big coaster like Banshee ever coming to our park .

We have truly hit rock bottom.

I think we truly hit rock bottom when Michigan's Adventure got ThunderHawk. 2008 marked the year when every Cedar Fair park had a full-circuit inverted coaster EXCEPT Valleyfair. That was a sad moment for me. We'll get what we'll get, whenever we get it.

^ Apparently so. When people say they would like or not mind an old Boomerang being added to the park when it already has a better shuttle coaster in Steel Venom we must have finally found the bottom. There is no reason CF can't pony up $9 million after a decade to get VF a Gerstlauer like Monster (Adventureland) which is a really fun coaster from start to finish.

They would not be added a new parking lot and removing a decent coaster if nothing was coming to the dry park. In 2019 I strongly believe a inverting coasters is coming to the park. About 3000-3500 in length by B&M or intiam.

I think we truly hit rock bottom when Michigan's Adventure got ThunderHawk. 2008 marked the year when every Cedar Fair park had a full-circuit inverted coaster EXCEPT Valleyfair. That was a sad moment for me. We'll get what we'll get, whenever we get it.

Would you rather have an awesomely twistie GCI woodie or the hellspawn that is an SLC?

^ Nice to see Excalibur getting the sword back, it is the best part of the ride. But if they put the effort in to put it back in the rock that may be a sign it will be around for another year. I hope not.

^ Nice to see Excalibur getting the sword back, it is the best part of the ride. But if they put the effort in to put it back in the rock that may be a sign it will be around for another year. I hope not.

Remember there are orange flags on some of Excaliburs supports so that could mean they are planning on removing it. But it could just mean they are going to replace something there. Hopefully, we see it go and we get at least a Soak City expansion or a Soak City parking lot but I don't see that happening (this year) because of the stuff that is going on at CGA regarding their expansion.

Would you rather have an awesomely twistie GCI woodie or the hellspawn that is an SLC?

I like Renegade, but if given the choice between a refurbished SLC or a wooden coaster, I would pick the SLC.

You are completely insane.

The Knotts Boomerang doesn't look like it will be going to Valleyfair or any other Cedar Fair Park according to this post.

I went to the park today for a couple of hours. I noticed that the Boomerang track is gone and no longer next to the burned fire station. I asked three ride operators and got three different answers. All said it was sold and is not moving to another Cedar Fair park but one said to China, another said Japan and the last didn't know where it was sold to. I am guessing that if it is not sitting in a dirt field adjacent to another Cedar Fair park already that it was sold outside the company.
'

(Quote from Knotts Berry Farm Discussion Thread)

*Edit - Made something more clear*

Edited by EthanM

I like Renegade, but if given the choice between a refurbished SLC or a wooden coaster, I would pick the SLC.

giphy.gif