TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

How many HUSS Top Spins are left in the Chain? I know there are at least 3 2 (KD, CGA, and VF) but I'm not sure how many are left outside of that with the mass removal for use of spare parts.

CGA quietly removed theirs over the offseason. Canada's Wonderland has a Mondial version.

Yes, we are just down to only 2 remaining 2nd generation Top Spins in the Cedar Fair chain. Six Flags still have quite a few left, but I think those are all Gen 1. The Gen 2 models have seats on both sides of the gondola and your feet dangle, the Gen 1 has a floor and "ball-crushing" bars.

^ Most likely mid-August when the Cedar Fair parks release their 2018 plans (that would go along with whatever else is coming in 2018). But to add to that if we are going to see Excalibur close I would expect that announcement to come around the time they did it with Enterprise so that people can come out to the park and get one last chance to ride it.

^ Most likely mid-August when the Cedar Fair parks release their 2018 plans (that would go along with whatever else is coming in 2018). But to add to that if we are going to see Excalibur close I would expect that announcement to come around the time they did it with Enterprise so that people can come out to the park and get one last chance to ride it.

So like they did with Chaos and the Imax theater?

Seriously I wouldn't necessarily bank an announced closure. With the scope of the parking lot my prediction is their going to build nothing else. With building nothing else they're not going to make a big deal about tearing out a ride if they have nothing big and exciting to announce to replace it. Excalibur will close without fanfare in he fall about the time it normally does and then someone will notice an excavator ripping it apart a week later.

So like they did with Chaos and the Imax theater?

Seriously I wouldn't necessarily bank an announced closure. With the scope of the parking lot my prediction is their going to build nothing else. With building nothing else they're not going to make a big deal about tearing out a ride if they have nothing big and exciting to announce to replace it. Excalibur will close without fanfare in he fall about the time it normally does and then someone will notice an excavator ripping it apart a week later.

Cedar Point announced Mean Streak was closing last year and still hasn't announced its replacement. So it isn't unlike Cedar Fair to announce a closure then wait to announce it's replacement.

^

I have a bad feeling that's what will happen. Does anyone know the date Excalibur usually closes for the year? I want to marathon the hell out of it on the last day.

Don't know an exact date but it hasn't been open for ValleyScare so I would guess before or when the close for the regular season (not ValleyScare).

^ Yes, they usually shut it down after Labor Day. I hope they make an announcement if they are going to remove Excalibur so those that enjoy it can get their last rides in. Personally, I will enjoy my last ride on Excalibur much more than usual because I know it will be going away. ;

I still believe that there was to be some sort of water park attraction to market with the new parking lot and entrance. A re-brand wouldn't surprise me either as it would be a good marketing strategy to say, "Come check out our new (insert new water park name) water park at Valleyfair!" The majority of people wouldn't know that 75% of the water park would be the same as before. Recent water park overhauls in the chain have given water parks new names...

Carolina Harbor..Cedar Shores..I wonder what Valleyfair's could be to tie in a local theme. Something Lake? Lake something? Minnesota Marina? Mystic Lake Water Park. Haha. I have no idea...

I think they'll have an announcement for the closing of Excalibur. If I remember right, they announced Enterprise was closing on August 1st and it actually closed August 20th. I would guess it will operate up to Labor Day and close like it usually does. There is a lot of other land clearing and prep they can do before they get to Excalibur's area.

Pretty sure I've state this before: I know this is a large project, but it doesn't take a good construction team long to grade and level land, or pour concrete/tar. Carowinds didn't get started on their water park renovation until later in the summer, which included a demolition of a large racing coaster, repaving some parking lot, new water park entrance, and a bunch of new attractions. Carolina Harbor wasn't announced until August 27th as well..

Still have plenty of time!

Pretty sure I've state this before: I know this is a large project, but it doesn't take a good construction team long to grade and level land, or pour concrete/tar. Carowinds didn't get started on their water park renovation until later in the summer, which included a demolition of a large racing coaster, repaving some parking lot, new water park entrance, and a bunch of new attractions. Carolina Harbor wasn't announced until August 27th as well..

From a quick glance at Carowinds on Google, it's built on relatively flat land. Valleyfair not only has to contend with undulating terrain, but with swamplands. It's not as simple as trucking in a little dirt and running it over with a steamroller and then pouring concrete. The first priority must the rerouting of the employee access road as that is also the main entrance for park deliveries as well (such as dirt, concrete, ride parts, food/supplies needed for daily operation, etc.)

Current Park 5-year prediction

2018: Frisbee replacing Riptide; Excalibur closes at season's end

2019: Waterpark Expansion/Rebranding with new parking lot; Dinos closes at season's end

2020: B&M Invert in Dinos area

2021: Planet Snoopy Expansion

2022: Waterpark Expansion

^ Yes, I also find it hard to believe that VF would get back to back big (flat) thrill rides added to the park, but if it happened I would not complain at all. Riptides location would be a great place for one. And considering that Riptide seems to be a coin toss for it working on the day you visit it needs to go. Another possibility is the park could add a new water park attraction without building the new entrance for 2018 by removing Looping Starship and the adjacent volleyball courts to put in a new attraction. Doubtful, but possible. My question is if they do announce the removal of Excalibur they have to announce something is coming the following year (be it water park or new ride) don't they? I can't imagine you announce the removal of a coaster and then say, "We'll have something in two years and we will tell you next August". Like everyone, just waiting for some type of announcement to see what is going to happen. Exciting times for VF.

[coastertube]

[/coastertube]

I really believe that valley fair will never get a frizbee because it is to similar to xtreme swings, and for a small park it would make sense to invest in some thing completly different and new.

Have you ever ridden Skyhawk and Maxair at Cedar Point. They are totally different experiences. I find Screaming Swings and giant frisbees to be 2 of the best flats out. Even a smaller one like Cyclos at KK or a chance revolution. I actually think they would compliment each other well.

I really believe that valley fair will never get a frizbee because it is to similar to xtreme swings, and for a small park it would make sense to invest in some thing completly different and new.

I present to you: Kings Island with four (4) Inverted/Suspended coasters:

Screenshot001.jpg.595922a7ef1c0677b6c0aa1361b6a614.jpg

Three of them within spitting distance of each other.

We got: Bat, Banshee, Invertigo, and Flying Ace Aerial Chase

The only thing similar is they swing back and forth. They are completely different experiences and any park that has/will get both is VERY fortunate.

Is there any reason whatsoever to think that Valleyfair will be getting a Frisbee? People here personally liking them not being a reason...

I can still see a marketing campaign if they build nothing but the new gate. They managed generic campaigns for the years they put nothing in. How about "Expressway to the Wet Way". "Speedway to Soak City". There's a lot of people that just want to go to a pool on a hot day but are deterred by how big of production it is to get themselves and their kids in and out of Soak City currently.

Or with the observation that Riptide and StupidCat didn't get automated announcements maybe they're going to move Excalibur to where Riptide is and re-brand the area is "Chiropractor-Land".