TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

From a business point if you were Valleyfair what would you rather spend $20 million on a new B&M coaster or expand the water park? I personally wouldn't mind Flight Deck coming from Canada's Wonderland there are also rumors that the dueling dragons from Islands of Adventure might be removed for a Harry Potter expansion so what if they went up for sale and Cedar Fair were to buy both of them and send one to Valleyfair in the Dino area would that make any sense? It would be a lot cheaper for Valleyfair to get a used B&M then a new one just pay for shipping. I know everyone wants a new roller coaster but from a business point water parks draw more people in and I think you'll see Excalibur retire possibly this season to get the back of the park going. Removal of Excalibur I think it would be replaced with a giant frisbee.

From a business point if you were Valleyfair what would you rather spend $20 million on a new B&M coaster or expand the water park? I personally wouldn't mind Flight Deck coming from Canada's Wonderland there are also rumors that the dueling dragons from Islands of Adventure might be removed for a Harry Potter expansion so what if they went up for sale and Cedar Fair were to buy both of them and send one to Valleyfair in the Dino area would that make any sense? It would be a lot cheaper for Valleyfair to get a used B&M then a new one just pay for shipping. I know everyone wants a new roller coaster but from a business point water parks draw more people in and I think you'll see Excalibur retire possibly this season to get the back of the park going. Removal of Excalibur I think it would be replaced with a giant frisbee.

I would not like having flight deck! Also dueling dragons is to spread out. Wait if valleyfair got the boomerang where could it go? I wouldn't mind having the boomerang.

So, let's say Excalibur is gone either this year or over the winter... They are down a coaster, regardless. The road and parking lot project, I think, is going to be HUGE. I personally don't see a new waterpark gate and parking lot open as well as some new water attractions until 2019... That means 2018 might be a year for another dry ride, and if VF are down a coaster, and there is a Boomerang available, and there is NOTHING like it in a several hours drive, VF sounds like a darn fine place for it to wind up. I think the public will go nuts for it. It's not super-huge and can fit in quite a few places.

I just don't understand how you think the public would go nuts for a 27 year old Vekoma or that CF would move a coaster that old. Also, Steel Venom is not exactly like Boomerang but it is a similar (and better) shuttle coaster.

So, let's say Excalibur is gone either this year or over the winter... They are down a coaster, regardless. The road and parking lot project, I think, is going to be HUGE. I personally don't see a new waterpark gate and parking lot open as well as some new water attractions until 2019... That means 2018 might be a year for another dry ride, and if VF are down a coaster, and there is a Boomerang available, and there is NOTHING like it in a several hours drive, VF sounds like a darn fine place for it to wind up. I think the public will go nuts for it. It's not super-huge and can fit in quite a few places.

I just don't understand how you think the public would go nuts for a 27 year old Vekoma or that CF would move a coaster that old. Also, Steel Venom is not exactly like Boomerang but it is a similar (and better) shuttle coaster.

Where would this boomerang even go? Well a worker at VF did say they were getting something thrilling in 2018.

If it's in great shape, the Boomerang will probably have a new lease on life. I know we are talking about different companies, but wasn't Flashback like 20-some years old when Six Flags moved it from Texas to St. Louis? Maybe the Vekomas hold up well. The "General Public" will have no idea it's that old... you gotta stop thinking like an enthusiast. It's will be brand-spanking new to them. People around here think Mystic Timbers replaced the Beast. Where would a Boomerang go? I'm sure in a couple of places well away from the waterpark. They don't take up that much room, and the lifts can easily be positioned over buildings.

As for the rumor of Dueling Dragons getting replaced by an expansion... which I don't understand personally (isn't two Harry Potter areas enough?). Hulk was like 90% rebuilt, I think due to lifetime wear, so Dragons might be in the same boat. If that's removed, the track and supports may have so many cracks, that it might have to be scrapped all together. I mean, other than an occasional refurbishment, it has been running almost every day since 1999. Though I'm sure a few sections of track have been replaced while down. Our Raptor here at CP has had the cobra roll replaced at least once.

Anyway, that's my theory, it doesn't mean I'm correct, but if I'm Valleyfair and I'm inevitably losing a pretty big coaster for a huge waterpark and infrastructure expansion, a used boomerang which doesn't take up much space might work as the HOT NEW RIDE for 2018 while the expansion takes place. I'm no engineer, I just think the parking lot/gate, etc. is going to be a 2-year project and happen in 2019 (or open in phases starting with the employee parking first backstage). Again, just a theory, nothing to worry about.

I think that photo might be a teaser I'm stopping by the park for a few hours I really think your going to see a water park expansion Excalibur closing maybe that will be replaced by a giant frisbee included with the water park expansion. I did speak with the GM last week mentioned about adding a frisbee he told me that they are working on something for 2018.

According to Vekoma, a Boomerang has a footprint of 88x30 meters (289x99 feet). In the images below, I took the Bat from Canada's Wonderland and put it in Valleyfair. This isn't anything specific, just a visual aid to get an idea of a Boomerang's footprint at VF.

Valleyfair-2.thumb.jpg.32dd20a262f20a1f44056efca9fb5c5e.jpg

A Boomerang at the Midway Stage, between the Games Midway and the Carousel

Valleyfair-4.thumb.jpg.0f9d1013a4d5d96daa00861b195302aa.jpg

The Boomerang behind Northern Lights and the Antique Autos

If it's in great shape, the Boomerang will probably have a new lease on life. I know we are talking about different companies, but wasn't Flashback like 20-some years old when Six Flags moved it from Texas to St. Louis? Maybe the Vekomas hold up well. The "General Public" will have no idea it's that old... you gotta stop thinking like an enthusiast. It's will be brand-spanking new to them. People around here think Mystic Timbers replaced the Beast. Where would a Boomerang go? I'm sure in a couple of places well away from the waterpark. They don't take up that much room, and the lifts can easily be positioned over buildings.

As for the rumor of Dueling Dragons getting replaced by an expansion... which I don't understand personally (isn't two Harry Potter areas enough?). Hulk was like 90% rebuilt, I think due to lifetime wear, so Dragons might be in the same boat. If that's removed, the track and supports may have so many cracks, that it might have to be scrapped all together. I mean, other than an occasional refurbishment, it has been running almost every day since 1999. Though I'm sure a few sections of track have been replaced while down. Our Raptor here at CP has had the cobra roll replaced at least once.

Anyway, that's my theory, it doesn't mean I'm correct, but if I'm Valleyfair and I'm inevitably losing a pretty big coaster for a huge waterpark and infrastructure expansion, a used boomerang which doesn't take up much space might work as the HOT NEW RIDE for 2018 while the expansion takes place. I'm no engineer, I just think the parking lot/gate, etc. is going to be a 2-year project and happen in 2019 (or open in phases starting with the employee parking first backstage). Again, just a theory, nothing to worry about.

I still think your higher than a giraffe's a** with this idea for many reasons but no big deal that we disagree so much. I could list many reasons why I think that but I will not bore you. I will only list one and that is CF (this is not Six Flags) in the past has only replaced removed coasters from a park with a new coaster and not a 'used' one. And they usually do it within 2-3 years after removal. Maybe they change that philosophy this time but I doubt it, especially with all the work they have newly approved for the park. I just don't think CF would invest that much to add and move an average aging coaster to the lineup with a few new water slides to justify all this new work they will be doing at the park. I am just happy for you that you made it to VF last year to ride Excalibur because it is unique and won't be around for more than another year at most.

What one do u think is more likely in 2018? A frisbee or a boomerang

A new parking lot and water park entrance..

We have an army corp proposal, a super recent Shakopee city council proposal, reported flags and markers on Excalibur, and now reported heavy equipment hanging out and beginning work on said area...I mean do people really need any other sign? We basically have everything, but an announcement!

I still think your higher than a giraffe's a** with this idea for many reasons but no big deal that we disagree so much. I could list many reasons why I think that but I will not bore you. I will only list one and that is CF (this is not Six Flags) in the past has only replaced removed coasters from a park with a new coaster and not a 'used' one. And they usually do it within 2-3 years after removal. Maybe they change that philosophy this time but I doubt it, especially with all the work they have newly approved for the park. I just don't think CF would invest that much to add and move an average aging coaster to the lineup with a few new water slides to justify all this new work they will be doing at the park. I am just happy for you that you made it to VF last year to ride Excalibur because it is unique and won't be around for more than another year at most.

That's still pretty high! I've seen quite a few giraffes! I don't mind disagreeing with you, at least you've made it entertaining. I am also happy I was able to come up in 2015 and enjoy your little corner of the world. Vallyfair was a treat and I hope great things happen for you guys. I still think the road re-routing may take longer than many of us think due to how much wetland there is, but who knows, I'm no engineer. And if you do get Knotts boomerang, I will happily come up and ride it with you in seat 7-1, RCjunkie, even though I got the credit years ago.

Oh, you do have a relocated coaster, and that is the cosmic coaster... removed from Dorney in 2010 and sent to you in 2011. And of course Invertigo was removed from CGA in late 2010 and opened at Dorney in early 2012...while Matt O. was working for the company, though he didn't initiate the relocation, so I am incredibly intrigued as to what will happen to Knotts Boomerang as it was taken apart so carefully. I still think it could wind up at CGA.

What one do u think is more likely in 2018? A frisbee or a boomerang

I have no idea. But, using the same visual aid I did before, but with maXair from CP, a frisbee could fit in a lot of places.

Valleyfair-1.thumb.jpg.adaf1a2f3c520646203f2361d72502eb.jpg

Frisbee at WT Entrance

Valleyfair-3.thumb.jpg.1b50d8e146a5228599237ae2c9a56857.jpg

Frisbee at Corkscrew Entrance

Valleyfair-5.thumb.jpg.3cd4efb771d2fe705ab4b319c6870ad9.jpg

Frisbee behind Northern Lights & Antique Autos

Valleyfair-6.thumb.jpg.5d8a8683855bf8f73a5e6df54e7c44ee.jpg

Frisbee at Midway Stage AND in WT Turnaround (it fits in the turnaround, but the swing clearance may not)

Matt Ouimet wasn't named CEO of Cedar Fair until June 20th 2012. Just because he was working for the company doesn't mean he was making the big calls back in 2010. Since he took his new position I don't think any coasters in the CF chain have been relocated to another park within the chain. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Matt Ouimet wasn't named CEO of Cedar Fair until June 20th 2012. Just because he was working for the company doesn't mean he was making the big calls back in 2010. Since he took his new position I don't think any coasters in the CF chain have been relocated to another park within the chain. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

Actually, according to Wikiapedia (which can always be wrong: On June 20, 2011, Ouimet was named president of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. He assumed the CEO position on January 3, 2012.

That sounds pretty correct...

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2012/04/01/New-Cedar-Fair-CEO-has-fresh-outlook-on-fun.html

But the point is no, there has been no coaster relocation during Matt's reign as CEO. It also doesn't mean he won't change his mind. CEO's constantly evolve in their positions.