TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I can you confirm that heavy machinery is in the Valleyfair employee parking lot and is working on removing dirt piles in the back of the parking lot where the new road is supposed to let out. Also many parts of the back area is blocked off.

That's great news, sounds like they are getting down to business!

Can you get some pics?

Yes I will, I tried to get some Monday but the rain was to heavy to get good shots. I'll try on my next shift which is Saturday.

I can you confirm that heavy machinery is in the Valleyfair employee parking lot and is working on removing dirt piles in the back of the parking lot where the new road is supposed to let out. Also many parts of the back area is blocked off.

Thanks for the confirmation! This is good news (except for those who like Excalibur). It looks like they are wasting no time and had the resources to do this project booked in advance and upon approval. If anyone can take pictures and post them please do, otherwise just keep us up to date when you feel it is warranted. The best view I can get of this is the top of Renegade's lift hill. I see no new work permits yet from the city of Shakopee but maybe the official approval of the project and that document serve as one and they do not have to apply for them at city level. Now it looks like we are just waiting for an announcement in July or August.

^ Nobody (Except CF) will know until they make an announcement. At that time we will know how big and how fast this project will proceed. They could move the road, displace the wetlands this year and create the new employee parking lot without even touching Excalibur. Then in 2018 demolish Excalibur and add the new guest parking lot and entrance for 2019. Or they could do all that before next year. This is such a big project with a high cost so it could easily take two years. If they do it all for 2018 that is great news for the park and people who visit it. If they demolish Excalibur this year I am guessing they get all this done in 2018. If they don't demolish Excalibur then we know they will spread out all this work over two years.

Edited by RCjunkie

I would look to Cedar Points and Carowinds water park renovations for clues as to what ours could all entail. My guess would be a cafe or restaurant of some sort. I think an area like Lakeside Landing would be a great addition. And perhaps another slide complex. I feel that the water park just overall needs more attractions to handle a higher capacity on super warm days.

I'm curious as to how much, if any, of the old side of the water park will be saved? About the only thing I would say would be worth saving is Hurricane Falls. In my opinion the old multi slide complex should get the ax.

I'm curious as to how much, if any, of the old side of the water park will be saved? About the only thing I would say would be worth saving is Hurricane Falls. In my opinion the old multi slide complex should get the ax.

I hope they keep Raging Rapids (since it's a fun and unique attraction) as well as the lazy river (since it's a staple of waterparks), but besides those I don't really care what happens to that side of the waterpark.

Just saw a report on Screamscape of heavy equipment showing up in the employee parking lot. Can anyone confirm that and maybe send a pic? Also, CGA submitted a permit for a 100' coaster. Any guesses as to what it may be?

Maybe a premier skyrocket 2 coaster?

Doubt CGA would get one since SF Discovery Kingdom nearby has one.

I'd like them to keep Raging Rapids if they wanted to take out Hurricane Falls replace that wilth a new slide tower something like a snake pit that Dorney Park has they can build on top of Raging Rapids.

I hope vf gets a water coaster it would look nice at vf.

I figure with the cost of labor and equipment, just clear everything at the same time... including Excalibur. That's what they did with Kings Island, they didn't tear down Son of Beast (terrible coaster, by the way) until they were ready to prep the land, so in September and October of 2012 it started coming down, after that the land was cleared and smoothed out for banshee which started in late spring of 2013.

Now... if you are going to remove a coaster from a smaller park with not a super-huge line up, what do you do? You replace it with a new coaster of course... CGA will have a 100 ft height coaster as we know, and as much as I thought Knotts' Boomerang (125') was going to wind up there, I'm not so sure now... so new at Valleyfair in 2018... "Boomerang!" And a new waterpark expansion/gate/parking completed for 2019.

Not saying that will happen, but it might it's just crazy enough to make some sense.

I figure with the cost of labor and equipment, just clear everything at the same time... including Excalibur. That's what they did with Kings Island, they didn't tear down Son of Beast (terrible coaster, by the way) until they were ready to prep the land, so in September and October of 2012 it started coming down, after that the land was cleared and smoothed out for banshee which started in late spring of 2013.

Now... if you are going to remove a coaster from a smaller park with not a super-huge line up, what do you do? You replace it with a new coaster of course... CGA will have a 100 ft height coaster as we know, and as much as I thought Knotts' Boomerang (125') was going to wind up there, I'm not so sure now... so new at Valleyfair in 2018... "Boomerang!" And a new waterpark expansion/gate/parking completed for 2019.

Not saying that will happen, but it might it's just crazy enough to make some sense.

Would we still get the B&M invert a few years later?

^ Maybe, or my idea of Wonderland eventually moving their SLC down to Valleyfair and getting themselves a B&M invert instead. I know I have mentioned that a few times, but I just think it's a better financial option.

We're not going to get boomerang from Knotts or the SLC from Canada's Wonderland. Slim to none for chances of that happening.

The lazy river can be re-routed to account for any new layout they'd like to create, so I think that would stay. I could also see Hurricane Falls and Raging Rapids just because it is essentially directly under Hurricane Falls. Other than those three attractions, demo the rest of the old side.

I'd bet money on the new road/entrance and water park renovations happening all in the same year, 2018. It is a super large project, but 9-10 months is more than enough time if they get started soon.

^ Maybe, or my idea of Wonderland eventually moving their SLC down to Valleyfair and getting themselves a B&M invert instead. I know I have mentioned that a few times, but I just think it's a better financial option.

There is little to no chance Valleyfair is getting two old, used, crappy Verona coasters. Your analysis makes absolutely no sense. Cedar Fair is the chain that DOESN'T relocate roller coasters; view the Matt Oumiet interview from a couple of years ago. Plus, Valleyfair is an expansion park. I would expect the removal of Excalibur, but I wholly believe that Valleyfair will receive a new roller coaster by 2020.

*IF Cedar Fair does decide to relocate, which would surprise me a lot, anything would go to Michigan's Adventure.

We're not going to get boomerang from Knotts or the SLC from Canada's Wonderland. Slim to none for chances of that happening.

There is little to no chance Valleyfair is getting two old, used, crappy Verona coasters. Your analysis makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly. You don’t add a new parking lot and move a road to add a SLC and expect that to be your attraction to increase attendance and make this all pay off.

The lazy river can be re-routed to account for any new layout they'd like to create, so I think that would stay…

I hope they reroute it a little and EXTEND it some, it is pretty short compared to other lazy rivers and it is usually packed.

I'd bet money on the new road/entrance and water park renovations happening all in the same year, 2018. It is a super large project, but 9-10 months is more than enough time if they get started soon.

You know they could do it in that time frame, the question is, ‘Does CF want to spread that type of investment over two years for budget reasons?’ I am 50/50 on this because CF has not made this kind of investment into VF for years so I am a little skeptical but of course I am hoping this all happens in one year.

Significant dirt movement has started in the employee lot. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the park worked throughout this year and next on land prep before removing Excalibur in 2018

Thanks for the update. Still no demolition permits issued yet by the city for VF.

The lazy river can be re-routed to account for any new layout they'd like to create, so I think that would stay…

I hope they reroute it a little and EXTEND it some, it is pretty short compared to other lazy rivers and it is usually packed.

If the Carolina Harbor expansion at Carowinds is any indication, I wouldn't expect them to touch the lazy river...at all. BTW the one at Carowinds is much smaller and one of the shortest I've ever seen.

In terms of Cedar Fair parks, it's also longer than those at:

• Cedar Point Shores
    Kings Island
    Kings Dominion
    Michigan's Adventure
    California's Great America (which I believe is smaller than Carowinds')
    Canada's Wonderland
    Oceans Of Fun (the shortest of CF parks)

It's about the same size/length as Dorney Park. Knott's has the longest of CF parks. So basically the lazy river at Valleyfair! is the 2nd or 3rd longest in the Cedar Fair chain. Unless they demolish that whole area and start over, I wouldn't expect any changes to it.

There is little to no chance Valleyfair is getting two old, used, crappy Verona coasters. Your analysis makes absolutely no sense. Cedar Fair is the chain that DOESN'T relocate roller coasters; view the Matt Oumiet interview from a couple of years ago. Plus, Valleyfair is an expansion park. I would expect the removal of Excalibur, but I wholly believe that Valleyfair will receive a new roller coaster by 2020.

*IF Cedar Fair does decide to relocate, which would surprise me a lot, anything would go to Michigan's Adventure.

Ugggg... a few of you guys are missing my essential thoughts, and not really trying to understand them, so let's tackle this another way... I DO think Cedar Fair are holding onto the Boomerang... someone at a Knotts fan site mentioned a new single Vekoma train was ordered recently (not that it's for boomerang, but you never know) so, if they do keep it.. there are 4 parks (excluding CP that probably will never get one) it could be transplanted to: CGA, MIA, VF or KD. I'm going to skip out on mentioning the other parks because this is the Valleyfair thread.

So, let's say Excalibur is gone either this year or over the winter... They are down a coaster, regardless. The road and parking lot project, I think, is going to be HUGE. I personally don't see a new waterpark gate and parking lot open as well as some new water attractions until 2019... That means 2018 might be a year for another dry ride, and if VF are down a coaster, and there is a Boomerang available, and there is NOTHING like it in a several hours drive, VF sounds like a darn fine place for it to wind up. I think the public will go nuts for it. It's not super-huge and can fit in quite a few places.

Onto my hypothetical Wonderlands Flight Deck comment... Matt O. did say he doesn't like taking out and replanting "popular" rides, but with the huge numbers up there, I could see that and the flying coaster be removed for a B&M Invert people-sucker like Banshee in its spot... and with Valleyfair not having a full circuit invert, and fight deck being pretty compact, and about half the cost..., it might just fit the Dinos Alive area quite well... just a thought, and this would be several YEARS down the road, no need to worry about it... And again, nothing quite like it anywhere in that market... the GP will eat it up. Of course, a B&M Invert would always be a better product.

Anyway, that's how my mind was working. Thanks for reading.