TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I'm willing to say that if the parking lot goes through, we're not getting a Giant Frisbee, We're not getting a B&M invert, we're not getting a Soak City expansion. We're getting the parking lot. That's it. Even if we get some of Wildwater Kingdom's toys (which coincidentally line up with some of the major gaps Valleyfair has) for free putting in pipes and pavement for them would cost money. The new parking lot is an absolutely massive undertaking, probably one of the largest capital investments in the park. It's not moving a few piles of dirt around with a Bobcat.

I would have to disagree. If they are going to go through all the expense and effort of adding a parking lot that big, I doubt they expect to fill the lot without adding any new attractions. It is not like the main lot is over flowing everyday. Plus in the original permit request this is how it reads:

DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT: Valleyfair is proposing to relocate a road that will be utilized by guests and staff and two proposed parking areas, one for guests and one for staff. The purpose for the road relocation and parking areas is to allow for expansion of the park attractions.

http://www.mvp.usace.army.mil/Portals/57/docs/regulatory/MN-Standard/2014004059P.pdf

What I do agree with you is that it will be a huge undertaking and probably one of the biggest capital investments the park has ever received. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to complete the moving of the road and the completion of the parking lot. Do they spread it out over a couple years for expense purposes? Do they add any attraction while doing that or do they wait until all that is done? The good news is that once they shutdown Excalibur they can begin any work they want for the road and parking lot since the work would not be near guests visiting the park.

With the season now in full swing, I'm finally getting around to posting a quick photo report from last season.

Awesome pics! VF has always been one of my bucket list parks. Hopefully someday I'll be able to make it.

Are the survey markings visible to see around Excalibur? Can anyone take any photos of the markings?

The flags/markers are only visible while riding Excalibur so can't take any pictures.

There will be some sort of water park new attraction with the opening of the new entrance/parking lot. There has to be something to market to the public to try and get a return on the investment.

I'd look at Carowind's and Cedar Point's recent water park overhaul as sort of a guide of what Valleyfair's will more than likely be like. Looks like there is not much to their entrances, so that shouldn't cost a whole lot. I'd probably expect another restaurant and shop with the overhaul. And then perhaps a small kiddie slide complex and some sort of slide complex for older guests.

I'd like them to demo the entire section of the older water park, except for Hurricane Falls, and completely re-do that older area with this project.

I've been told by a civil engineer friend that a mile stretch of road costs approximately $1,000,000. So I'd throw $2 million or so at the addition of the road. Probably another $3-$4 million for the parking lots (guest and staff). Then $10-12 million for water park renovations (new entrance, shops, slides, etc.) My complete GUESS would be around $15-20 million for the water park project. About the same as a new smaller, compact B&M coaster nowadays.

Just my two cents..

I was at Valleyfair for a couple of hours. The park open today at 9:30 am early first time I've seen that. My first ride was North Star. I was the only one on North Star was fun having the entire ride to my self. An idea I came up with could they move the Ferris Wheel and put it in between Flying Eagles and North Star? If they did that in the future for land space they could remove The Wave and re do the enterance/exits lanes and have it face towards Power Tower and you would have land space for a new roller coaster possibly have it rap around Corkscrew and Power Tower be a area were you can put new roller coaster for future land space not to mention Dino area for the B&M inverted coaster. Also idea they should move the Soak City water park entrance move it over by Mad Mouse were the two black gates are and remove Looping Star Ship and take out the volley ball courts there you will have more land space for the Soak City water park expansion possibly put a tornado bowl and a matt racer there.

Went to Valleyfair tonight and I must say it was nice having the park all to myself, there was practically no one there! Went on North Star a few times when it was really windy and it is much more thrilling when its windy out. The cars kept moving back and forth in the wind, and it was a lot of fun.

I was at Valleyfair for a couple of hours. The park open today at 9:30 am early first time I've seen that. My first ride was North Star. I was the only one on North Star was fun having the entire ride to my self. An idea I came up with could they move the Ferris Wheel and put it in between Flying Eagles and North Star? If they did that in the future for land space they could remove The Wave and re do the enterance/exits lanes and have it face towards Power Tower and you would have land space for a new roller coaster possibly have it rap around Corkscrew and Power Tower be a area were you can put new roller coaster for future land space not to mention Dino area for the B&M inverted coaster. Also idea they should move the Soak City water park entrance move it over by Mad Mouse were the two black gates are and remove Looping Star Ship and take out the volley ball courts there you will have more land space for the Soak City water park expansion possibly put a tornado bowl and a matt racer there.

I took two things from this:

1: Move Ferris Wheel.

2: Remove The Wave.

Neither of those are going to happen. The amount of concrete sitting in The Wave alone is extremely inconvenient to removal and refill. Also, it's a popular attraction particularly on hot days, easily surpassing 600 riders/hour (I've personally been there for 800+). I agree with Looping Starship because it is prime real estate for the water park. But why on earth would the park remove its most popular water attraction outside the water park and move an established part of the skyline?

Personally, I'd like to see Looping up in the front, either in the Wild Thing turnaround or as part of what will be old Dinos land, and for Enterprise to return in Tilter's graveyard.

How much does parking cost at Valleyfair? I can't seem to find that information on their website.

$11.18 if you buy regular parking online, but I believe $15 at the park. Preferred parking online is 18.63, and I believe in between $20-$22 dollars at the park.

It is now $17 and $22 for preferred this year when paying at the park so make sure to buy it online.

I went to the park yesterday evening and holy crap, there are a ton of markings in the back! This is very exciting!

Could you describe the markings and where they where in the back in a little more detail?

Also, it's a popular attraction particularly on hot days, easily surpassing 600 riders/hour (I've personally been there for 800+)

Could agree more. Worked Park Services in Area 2 summer of 2015 (for those who don't work at valleyfair thats from snoopy statue to where enterprise used to sit) and you'd be surprised how many people it pulls on the warmer and busier days. Once you're there nearly every day you kind of get a better understanding of what rides are busier on what days. Anyways, I would miss the mist that comes off the ride as you're walking past because it was definitely a life saver. Ironically I remember getting hit directly by the water at least twice because I wasn't paying attention sweeping. Good times.

I think "Our New Waterpark Express Entrance" is going to be enough of something to promote, in one year, considering that some years they've had nothing, and what a massive pain it is to haul your towel, sunscreen, and swimming suit all the way from the front entrance now. If they must have some ride to promote they could drop a cheap flat someplace (will we see Enterprise again?) and not have a budget-busting waterpark expansion on top of a budget busting parking lot expansion in the same year.

As for staging, the only thing I can see is maybe delaying the paving of the parking lot and the new gate structure and walkway for a year Basically you want to avoid moving dirt on and off a site if at all possible. What needs to happen is 1) Moving dirt from the wetland mitigation areas to fill part of the swamp, and 2) Moving dirt from the park road berm to fill the rest of it. It doesn't make sense to pay to have dirt brought in to fill the old swamp, then pay to have it brought out to dig out the new swamp so you want to do all the earthmoving at once so you can move it from one place to another rather than on or off site.

My guess is they will close down and raze Excalibur around August, and possibly close Thunder Canyon for the season too, then wait till the park closes during the week where they can start digging out the new swamp and moving it across to the old swamp without disrupting operations.

Screamscape is reporting that Valleyfair wants to get approval for Long term planning expansion. According to the notes from the Shakopee City Council they have recommended approval for Valleyfairs future expansion and the wetlands replacement plan which is also approved by the Army Corp of Egineers apperently. This is 5/19/2017. Does this mean that the plan is approved and we most likely will see that Excalibur should be its last year? I think this will finally get a green light biggest investment that Valleyfairs history.

Edited by Lightning Rod

I wonder what Valleyfair is doing for haunt this year. Do you think the Asylum will return?

No. For a few reasons,

1. Cedar Fair got major backlash at their other parks for asylum themed attractions

2. Most of the budget will probably go towards replacing Berserkers, since that was a pretty big flop.

3. The maze had been there since the start of haunt, they only are around for so long.

4. If Asylum would return, it would require a new building since there would be no other place to do it.

I want asylum to return as much as any other person would but I'm being realistic. It's been gone for a year and that is a testament to itself.

On my way out of the park after work today, I noticed that the sword from the Excalibur sign is missing. Hmm...

Perhaps this will be the beginning of the teasers of its removal