TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Interesting things to note:

-Galaxy is being unused again.

-All Wheels Extreme doesn't start until JULY with 2 off days/week

-Kick the Sky sounds a lot like a streetmosphere version of AWE

-Karaoke is the only thing at Gazebo

-Fireworks only on two nights--more time/show. Last year there were more shows--but they only lasted five minutes--even on the 4th.

-Everything else looks the same as previous years

Interesting that the Galaxy Theater will be going vacant again. Makes me wonder if they have any plans to remove it or repurpose it in the near future.

On another note, I'm happy to say that I'm officially returning to the park as an associate for the 2017 season. Looking forward to getting back to work.

Interesting that the Galaxy Theater will be going vacant again. Makes me wonder if they have any plans to remove it or repurpose it in the near future.

Galaxy was used sparingly last year for special events, but mainly as an entertainment backstage area. Galaxy is also highly speculated to be the eventual location of the park's Triotech dark ride. I still think that the Triotech will replace the Bumper Cars.

It's true that CF hasn't installed one since Voyage, but is there anything else to suggest that CF isn't going to install more? It just confuses me since I haven't seen/read more about Voyage's performance, and why CF would stop investing in dark rides? Maybe I just need to go read the Knott's thread more...

It's true that CF hasn't installed one since Voyage, but is there anything else to suggest that CF isn't going to install more? It just confuses me since I haven't seen/read more about Voyage's performance, and why CF would stop investing in dark rides? Maybe I just need to go read the Knott's thread more...

As far as I know, Voyage has been doing very well here at Knott's. It always has a line, but that could be due to terrible capacity.

Speaking of capacity, I saw an interview with Matt Ouimet, and he said the team was trying to figure out a way to make the Triotech rides higher capacity before installing more, so maybe that's what the little hiatus is for. Just some food for thought.

Very unlikely that Valleyfair will ever get a Triotech dark ride; they don't hold up well. It seems as if Cedar fair is no longer buying them.

That sounds a lot like the "CF hasn't bought an Intamin in a few years. No CF park will ever get an Intamin again" argument.

Just read the Cedar Fair 4th quarter earnings call and something very interesting was brought up. Here it is...

• California's Great America receive several shout-outs by executives, congratulating them on their recent zoning approval. This will let the company focus on the park's "long-term master plan" as research has shown the potential for the park to grow in attendance significantly. Matt Ouimet even stated that it could be one of their "top-tier" parks when they are done, and he has very "high expectations" for it. A question was asked if the expansion will be as big as Carowinds, and it sounds like perhaps not quite as big, but they will go in an update infrastructure, add capacity to the park, and build "significant new rides, a la Fury, et cetera." They plan to talk more about the expansion in 3 to 6 months.

• It was also asked if the plan to expand Valleyfair significantly was still on the table, and they replied that that is still "a little further out." They just lost the park's General Manager to the Minneapolis Zoo, so this year will be one of transition and study of the marketplace to understand it more.

Notice that their reply was that it is still "a little further out". Not dead, not no comment but further out. This is still in line with what they said two years ago that Valleyfair will be a growth park for them! It's obvious that CGA is next but after the new GM gets his feet wet and they get that permit approved then Valleyfair will be in the crosshair for expansion! It's still on the way folks and when you look at what they have planned for CGA it's really exciting. I would expect Valleyfair to get a similar treatment to CGA but maybe not as extensive at Carowinds. What do all think?

It's obvious that CGA is next but after the new GM gets his feet wet and they get that permit approved then Valleyfair will be in the crosshair for expansion!

I agree. I think once the permit happens, we will see some exciting things. It may take a few years, but I'm patiently optimistic on what the future holds for VF.

Are there going to be any more ride retirement's for this season? I would personally like to see a giant friss bee like a Max Air for 2018. One thing I would like to see Valleyfair get is a front gate wing coaster in the Dino area and a remodel of the front plaza something like Carowind's and new parking toll lane's like King's Island got a year ago. Anyone think it's time for Valleyfair to get new parking toll lane's? Upgrade? With a the new GM I can see another new thrill ride for 2018 be my guess.

Edited by Lightning Rod

Are there going to be any more ride retirement's for this season? I would personally like to see a giant friss bee like a Max Air for 2018. One thing I would like to see Valleyfair get is a front gate wing coaster in the Dino area and a remodel of the front plaza something like Carowind's and new parking toll lane's like King's Island got a year ago. Anyone think it's time for Valleyfair to get new parking toll lane's? Upgrade? With a the new GM I can see another new thrill ride for 2018 be my guess.

It's gonna be a while before any announcement is made if a ride is being retired this season. I'm blanking on when they announced Enterprise was being retired... There's so much stuff that could be done but I don't want to say goodbye to any rides. Except dinos, maybe...

I would not at all be surprised if this was finally Riptide's last season. Top Spins at both WoF and CGA were removed this offseason. In Cedar Fair, that just leaves us, Canada's Wonderland (surprisingly it's on their Fast Lane ), and Kings Dominion. I still picture that plot the ideal spot for the park's frisbee. As for when Enterprise was announced as being retired, I believe it was late July/Early August and closed mid-August.

I would not at all be surprised if this was finally Riptide's last season. Top Spins at both WoF and CGA were removed this offseason. In Cedar Fair, that just leaves us, Canada's Wonderland (surprisingly it's on their Fast Lane ), and Kings Dominion. I still picture that plot the ideal spot for the park's frisbee. As for when Enterprise was announced as being retired, I believe it was late July/Early August and closed mid-August.

The trick with CW's is, they have a unique Mondial Splashover as opposed to a Huss Topspin. I've not heard whether that's better or worse, but based on the absolutely abysmal track record those Huss Topspins seem to have, I can only imagine it's a little better.

As for KD, well, shoot, theirs is probably the nicest in the U.S. and the closest American equivalent to that ridiculous one at Phantasialand. I damn well hope it stays!

I had heard a rumor that Looping Starship might be on it's way out this offseason since it has been a maintenance headache, but that obviously didn't happen. Still, wouldn't be surprised if it is removed in the next few years with the maintenance issues combined with low popularity.

Rip Tides location would be a good choice for a frisbee. The location would be great because it's right next to Xtreme Swing and Power Tower flat ride section of the park. I would like to see Rip Tide be replaced with a giant frisbee something like a max air.

Edited by Lightning Rod

I had heard a rumor that Looping Starship might be on it's way out this offseason since it has been a maintenance headache, but that obviously didn't happen. Still, wouldn't be surprised if it is removed in the next few years with the maintenance issues combined with low popularity.

I keep hearing that it's a maintenance nightmare, but have only heard it going down due to weather related issues. I think I remember Dave Frazier once saying that he'd like to relocate the ride, but I could very easily be wrong about that, especially with the new GM. I've heard about its removal more due to its proximity to Soak City and prime expansion land. Replace the current SC entrance and LS with a Matt Racer and a Tornado and move the current entrance to over by Mad Mouse.

If one was only interested in riding all the coasters at VF, how long on a weekday in mid-June would it take to do everything?

Hoping for a quick stop in MN to do VF before I hop back on a plane to WI and trying to figure if I can fly in and out in the same day.

Thanks for any input.

If one was only interested in riding all the coasters at VF, how long on a weekday in mid-June would it take to do everything?

Hoping for a quick stop in MN to do VF before I hop back on a plane to WI and trying to figure if I can fly in and out in the same day.

Thanks for any input.

My guess is anywhere between 2-3 hours depending on student groups. I think the most efficient will be Renegade > Wild Thing > Venom > Corkscrew > Mad Mouse > Excalibur, assuming you get there at open. Do a big loop while you wait the hour for Excalibur to open. Cosmic coaster has one train waits as well.