TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Are we seriously so sensitive as a society that we can't realize what is fantasy and suspended disbelief? I'd like to think not, but apparently so. I'm more wary of the Bite The Dust skeleton key room being insensitive than I am for Asylum.

I dont think enough people have experienced skeleton key to know what goes on over there. So I better buy my passes before its gone

From the story I heard, the group that shut down Fear VR had not personally experienced the attraction, but relied on word of mouth for putting their tails between their legs and hiding behind Mommy.

On another hand, I remember when Universal Hollywood cancelled Bill & Ted due to "Homophobic content," Knotts responded by mocking it in the Hanging. The Hanging and Knotts in General are known for being very unapologetic when it comes to insensitive content. Knotts invented the scare zone! And now, they're the first one rolling over.

I wonder how far this contagion will spread. Will this stick to Cedar Fair? Will it spread to independent haunts? Will Asylum haunts return in the future?

I say dont do anything to the other attractions until they are told to. The group wanted fear VR down. Maybe they wanted other asylum attractions down but we shouldnt have to remove other asylums until we are told to remove them specifically. And why is eternitiy infirmary still standing? Would cedar fair not want to do anything to their beloved cedar point?

EDIT After seeing a statement on a valleyscare facebook page someone had a point that it wasnt stated that this is permanent. there's a chance they closed the attractions to prevent further problems. In a year they could bring back the mazes when people are getting triggered at something else.

Edited by VFhauntblog

Could someone explain what's going on with this "advocacy" group and how it lead to the closure of Dino-slaughter?

We don't want to offend the caveman.

caveman.jpg.cdb2447929186f062435f7b0172fb865.jpg

In all seriousness, I have no idea why DinoSlaughter was removed.

Edited by GCI Wooden

Could someone explain what's going on with this "advocacy" group and how it lead to the closure of Dino-slaughter?

In a nutshell, the group is NAMI, and they advocate for people with mental health issues. I've had nothing but positive interactions with them honestly. They're one of the groups that supports autism research, so I've dealt with them several times.

California NAMI is apparently different from NAMI in the Midwest, though, and they've gotten a bug up their butts about asylums being used in haunted houses for some reason. One key figure in this is Rick Warren, who is a right wing mega church preacher. He wrote a self-help book a few years ago called The Purpose Driven Life. You probably saw it prominently in your local Wal-Mart but never actually read it.

So due to the prodding by Warren and NAMI, Knott’s removed FearVR, which featured a research institution, not an asylum, but these asshats apparently couldn't tell the difference and didn't care to. As a result of Knott's decision, several theme parks across the country are removing asylum-related features of their haunted houses.

As for Dinoslaughter, I don't think it's directly related. I understand it was closed for staffing reasons, which may be the indirect result of this nonsense.

^ I don't care about political correctness at all; I care about using your brain. I believe in not trying to offend people, and also not taking offence where it wasn't meant. If you intentionally try to offend people, or if you take offence over nothing, then you're being an asshat, and I will call you that.

In a nutshell, the group is NAMI, and they advocate for people with mental health issues. I've had nothing but positive interactions with them honestly. They're one of the groups that supports autism research, so I've dealt with them several times.

California NAMI is apparently different from NAMI in the Midwest, though, and they've gotten a bug up their butts about asylums being used in haunted houses for some reason. One key figure in this is Rick Warren, who is a right wing mega church preacher. He wrote a self-help book a few years ago called The Purpose Driven Life. You probably saw it prominently in your local Wal-Mart but never actually read it.

So due to the prodding by Warren and NAMI, Knott’s removed FearVR, which featured a research institution, not an asylum, but these asshats apparently couldn't tell the difference and didn't care to. As a result of Knott's decision, several theme parks across the country are removing asylum-related features of their haunted houses.

As for Dinoslaughter, I don't think it's directly related. I understand it was closed for staffing reasons, which may be the indirect result of this nonsense.

Good post, Andrew...well stated!

Good post, Andrew...well stated!

Thanks! This whole thing feels to me like when one of your friends gets in a fight with another of your friends and tries to make you choose. I'm just trying to say, "I like both of you. But NAMI, that guy you're dating, Rick Warren, he's a dumbass. Dump him."

Just got back from Haunt, few notes:

-Sliders are amazing, and there were lots of them tonight. When these guys scare someone, they get them really good.

-The fog was even more ludicrous than normal. I was unable to see parts of Corkscrew from the area by Xtreme Swing. Keep this up, it looks amazing (I wanted to go on Corkscrew just to go through all the fog, but never got around to it). My position on fog is and will always be the more the better.

-Zombie Bumper Cars. Forget VR, this is the kind of gimmick you should be using to make a an otherwise fun experience a spectacular one. Also, how on earth do some of them have voices at the end of the day?

-Hacks was excellent tonight. It's been a while since my jaw was sore from laughing so much. Props to these guys.

-Had one of the best rides I've ever had on Renegade, and the crew was very excited tonight.

All in all, it was a great night, even though it was a little busy.

^I remember there was a time last year, Power Tower shut down due to how much fog there was. The night I got to work in Abnormal Alley, I got so many scares from just hiding in the fog and staring at people/letting them run into me.

Just curious, would they need to shut the ride down for fog?

^You couldn't see it in the fog. If you can't see your ride, you don't run it.

Are there any rides besides Power Tower that that rule applies to? Obviously with a coaster there are always going to be parts of the ride that you can't see even without fog, hell even on rides like antique cars there are parts of the ride that the operators can't see (aka the places everyone stops and slams into eachother which is the only reason those dumb rides exist), it seems sort of inconsistent to me but then again, it's a Cedar Fair weather policy.

What's the logic behind that?

^You couldn't see it in the fog. If you can't see your ride, you don't run it.

Are there any rides besides Power Tower that that rule applies to? Obviously with a coaster there are always going to be parts of the ride that you can't see even without fog, hell even on rides like antique cars there are parts of the ride that the operators can't see (aka the places everyone stops and slams into eachother which is the only reason those dumb rides exist), it seems sort of inconsistent to me but then again, it's a Cedar Fair weather policy.

What's the logic behind that?

I think it's more aptly summarized as "if you can't see the whole station, you can't operate your ride." Since the whole platform is the station at PT, if you can't see the base of the tower you can't operate. At rollercoasters where you never see the rest of the track, if you can't see the end of the train in the station you can't operate. I'm not aware of any times where Renegade or Wild Thing have had to go down due to fog, but I'm sure it's gotten close plenty of times.

^I doubt that Renegade or Wild Thing have even come close, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear of Corkscrew going down for fog since it's right next to Blood Creek and Abnormal Alley, which both pump out tons of fog (And some run-off from CarnEvil).