TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I couldn't believe all the new pages of discussion since this morning, in the Valleyfair thread of all places! Then I saw it went into full-on KD mode for a bit and it all made sense!

While it's obvious Valleyfair could use a new coaster, and it's obvious that Dinos Alive is a waste of space at every CF park it's in, I still love the addition of North Star to the park! I gave it my #3 best CF 2017 addition rank, and it's #1 of the non-coaster related additions. So, congrats, Valleyfair fans, for having one of the best additions in the chain for a change!

Can I re assure everyone that the way I meant my original post to be taken was not interpreted the way I wanted it to be. I wrote it in an intentional childish form with vocabulary that doesnt even exist. "Unsmartness" I didnt realize it would be taken seriously and cause all of this. This isnt what I wanted. While most of this discussion was sarcastic it was taken to a decent extreme.

Im not pointing fingers to a specific person. I say this because in everyone's defenses they claim that I meant what I said in the way it was said.

I assumed you were serious too, and started rolling my eyes thinking "what does this person think he knows about theme park operations, and where can you put three new coasters when there's not even room for one".

Maybe best not to use sarcasm on an internet forum, especially without an /s tag.

But they could add at least 2 new large attractions, but it would require the removal of excalibur and dinos alive. They could add a 3rd if they removed the riptide, bumper cars, midway stage, wild thing, the amphitheater (I mean they never use it) in fact they could add a 4th! Just remove highway 101.

I wouldn't say that they can add two large attractions if they have to remove something to add them.

Remove Wild Thing, that would probably be their stupidest move ever. One of the good things about the ride lineup at VF is that they have a hyper. .

Edited by VFhauntblog

I used to be a crazy local VF 'fanboy' like many others here...and even had a super-cool back office marketing internship at one time (I thought I was a big deal then), however I learned that this park is simply not driven to prioritize the high thrill market here. It's a family amusement park...and it always will be until a major competitor moves in. For those who continue to hold out hope for some major-awesome B&M invert coaster "next year," I suggest that you find other things in life to make you happy. Constantly holding out hope for this park year after year will only let you down.

And for those who follow the word of a certain someone who claims to be close to the GM of VF, even Dave Frazier doesn't know 100% what will be coming in the next few years. He's a corporate babysitter of the park at best. Truth!

It's a family amusement park...and it always will be until a major competitor moves in. For those who continue to hold out hope for some major-awesome B&M invert coaster "next year," I suggest that you find other things in life to make you happy.

And for those who follow the word of a certain someone who claims to be close to the GM of VF, even Dave Frazier doesn't know 100% what will be coming in the next few years. He's a corporate babysitter of the park at best. Truth!

Agree with your first statement. Attendance has steadily increased over the last 10 years despite not receiving a new coaster, so if anything that shows the company that major investments in roller coasters aren't needed to steadily increase business. Probably why they aren't in a huge hurry to put one in. Do I think a major coaster would help attendance? Absolutely, but what do i know!

I also agree with you saying that Dave Frazier doesn't have the final say on capital improvements, but calling him a babysitter might be an over exaggeration. There is no way he doesn't have a say or a chance to have input in capital improvement conversations. Now how much of a say is the real question. But if your not going to listen to the general managers of your parks, then the Cedar Fair big shots aren't very great business people. After all, who knows the individual parks better than the general managers.

So yes. If you find yourself offended by the term "PowerPoint Presentation" then I don't feel bad about offending you.

Never said I was offended by your your use of "PowerPoint Presentation", I just called you a jerk for using it against a 13 year old and I hope I did not offend you. The only thing you have ever posted that offended me was when you indicated Mean Streak was a good roller coaster.

This thread is interesting.

Real reason I came here: I'm heading to the park tomorrow for the first time in 7 years and want to know whether or not I should budget for Fastlane? Are there any food outlets I should try and hit? Has anything decent been added to the park since 2009? Not planning on hitting the water park.

Real reason I came here: I'm heading to the park tomorrow for the first time in 7 years and want to know whether or not I should budget for Fastlane? Are there any food outlets I should try and hit? Has anything decent been added to the park since 2009? Not planning on hitting the water park.

You will be fine without FL, the park doesn't draw huge lines in the summer months. Please note that the park closes at 5 for a private event, which is both a good (Should be mostly empty) and a bad thing (No night rides on Renegade).

Unless you have kids, not much new here. I would say that the best addition other than Planet Snoopy has been the flyers, and they're the Larson type.

Oh, and if you haven't ridden one before, ride Charlie Brown's Wind-Up. You may all be wondering, "Why is this guy suggesting I go on a Planet Snoopy ride? It's not even a credit". Trust me, it's one of the very few rides I actually need to hold on the whole time. Just do it, there's never a line.

Yea, If you could go on Saturday, I would reccomend going then, as you may be restricted by having the park close at 5 pm. Renegade is the best coaster in the park. When the park opens, I would ride these rides in the following order.

- High Roller

- Mad Mouse

- Renegade

I really like Chickie & Pete's as well as Sidewinder Burrito. Everything else is pretty darn standard. We have had some good additions since 2009, but if you are solely focused on thrills, you may not necessarily notice them. (Route 76, Planet Snoopy, Dinosaurs Alive, etc.)

Since you've been there, three of the major additions (Route 76, Planet Snoopy, and Dino's Alive) have been mild family oriented things. Fourth, the extreme thrill addition, is the slides in the waterpark. As in good by any standards, not just by Valleyfair standards.

If you get there at opening, I'd suggest making a bee-line for Steel Venom, then get all the way across the park to Extreme Swing or Mad Mouse and then Renegade before lines build too much there. From then on there's no particular order. Steel Venom has long lines on even moderate days because it has very low capacity. Mad Mouse attracts a lot of families that won't ride other stuff and also has low capacity.

Not too much as far as unique food, I'm more into traditional American food like burgers and Cheese curds, Northwoods Grill is my favorite for that.

If you get there at opening, I'd suggest making a bee-line for Steel Venom, then get all the way across the park to Extreme Swing or Mad Mouse and then Renegade before lines build too much there. From then on there's no particular order. Steel Venom has long lines on even moderate days because it has very low capacity. Mad Mouse attracts a lot of families that won't ride other stuff and also has low capacity.

I've actually never had problems with Steel Venom, it has long trains and a fairly short ride cycle that make up for the single train (According to RCDB it has better capacity than Renegade, not sure if that's accurate or not). Extreme Swing can get long, though (And by long I mean like 20-30 minutes).

I would recommend starting off with High Roller, Mad Mouse, Renegade, then wrap around and do Extreme Swing. The rest of the day can be taken at your leisure.

A few haunt updates for anyone interested...

Today I saw divination being setup at the midway with 2 large decorative lights. Asylum would have probably started to setup soon if it was still a maze. Bloodshed started setting up, they took down the game that was in its spot.

Berserkers is fully setup and I assume they are doing painting and detail currently. Habitat has a new facade setup and all the cabins are painted white.

20160825_140827.thumb.jpg.69ecfe27b6dc3042c459e30209f42289.jpg

20160825_141242.thumb.jpg.389fd3063e4b3b38459bd45c560692d3.jpg

Don't forget Northern Lights! It is way more fun than it looks especially if you get a back row corner seat! Have fun, I'll be there too so maybe we will bump into each other.

From what I've heard, Bumper Cars will be open during haunt with a specialized "zombie car." A scareactor from Zombie High will be driving around during Haunt all night. I have no idea if this is true or not as it was not listed on the haunt site last I checked. I hope not with how long it takes to load a cycle on that ride. With how long the line can get on a slow day, and how loud/annoying it can get in there for the operator, adding in a haunt element to the attraction

Someone had a random idea they thought was cool, or are they trying to keep more rides open to reduce lines elsewhere?

I still think Asylum would be a good candidate for a permanent haunt structure, because you can do a lot with the facade, it's one of the classic horror themes

From what I've heard, Bumper Cars will be open during haunt with a specialized "zombie car." A scareactor from Zombie High will be driving around during Haunt all night. I have no idea if this is true or not as it was not listed on the haunt site last I checked. I hope not with how long it takes to load a cycle on that ride. With how long the line can get on a slow day, and how loud/annoying it can get in there for the operator, adding in a haunt element to the attraction

Yes I knew that was in the plans earlier but I personally

didnt see anything in the site for it either

Edited by VFhauntblog

Someone had a random idea they thought was cool, or are they trying to keep more rides open to reduce lines elsewhere?

I still think Asylum would be a good candidate for a permanent haunt structure, because you can do a lot with the facade, it's one of the classic horror themes

And It was the next canidate for this year, Until London terror burned down...