TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

We're thinking of going to Valleyfair for the first time this Friday using the after 4pm admission? Is 4pm until close ona Friday a decent time to be there or is that the busiest? We went to Knotts Berry Farm January 2nd without Flash Passes and lines were terrible. I'm hopeful Valleyfair this Friday evening without Flash Passes won't be nearly as bad. Thoughts or advice? Thanks!

We're thinking of going to Valleyfair for the first time this Friday using the after 4pm admission? Is 4pm until close ona Friday a decent time to be there or is that the busiest? We went to Knotts Berry Farm January 2nd without Flash Passes and lines were terrible. I'm hopeful Valleyfair this Friday evening without Flash Passes won't be nearly as bad. Thoughts or advice? Thanks!

I was just there last Friday, and while the lines were longer than an average weekday, they were probably only about 5-20 minutes (Maybe around 30 for High Roller and the Mouse).

Valleyfair is a smaller park, so you shouldn't have much of a problem with getting on everything if you stay until close.

My recommendation, make Renegade the last ride of the night. It's fantastic at night (And if you have the time, just spend the last ~hour marathoning the thing in the back because it's amazing and way better than anything else at the park).

I was really hoping that 2017 would be the year of a new coaster at Valleyfair. I guess we never know for sure until the announcements are made :/

Some "red-headed stepchild" parks don't even get capital investments year after year. The fact that we're getting anything is good news, and a Star Flyer will add something new to the skyline. You're right, it's not a roller coaster, but it is going to give Valleyfair an update on it's curb appeal from the highway.

Some "red-headed stepchild" parks don't even get capital investments year after year. The fact that we're getting anything is good news, and a Star Flyer will add something new to the skyline. You're right, it's not a roller coaster, but it is going to give Valleyfair an update on it's curb appeal from the highway.

Your exactly right. I am very happy for the investment and the curb appeal will be awesome. I guess like everyone else, every year I hope this is the year we get a coaster announcement. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy for the new growth and attraction none the less.

My speculation is that we're not going to get a new coaster till the Dino contract is up. I just don't see Valleyfair getting a new coaster untill 2020. I think in 2018 we will see a new Enterprise replacing either The Monster or Super Cat for rehab in 2018.

Edited by Lightning Rod

I was really hoping that 2017 would be the year of a new coaster at Valleyfair. I guess we never know for sure until the announcements are made :/

Personally, I think a Star Flyer, especially if it's pretty high, will be a great addition to VF, and its location at the front of the park is a perfect place for such a ride, as it greets guests, and beckons to those on the highway nearby! As somebody whose closest park is a definitely "red-headed stepchild" in MiA, believe me when I say a Star Flyer would be a VERY welcome addition to the park!

Where do you suggest they put one?

The DInos aren't going anywhere until the contract is up

As far as we know, the permit to toothpick Excalibur and fill in the swamp in the back hasn't been approved

The aren't going to spend a zillion dollars to move a zillion things around inside the park when these locations will become available in a few years.

Where do you suggest they put one?

The DInos aren't going anywhere until the contract is up

As far as we know, the permit to toothpick Excalibur and fill in the swamp in the back hasn't been approved

The aren't going to spend a zillion dollars to move a zillion things around inside the park when these locations will become available in a few years.

Exactly. The Dinos will more than likely become a "Deckerated" coaster as Matt Ouimet has called recent front gate coasters after VP of Design Rob Decker, but that will not happen until the Dino's useful life is complete. Who knows how long that will be. People have mentioned that they are 7 year leases, which means they will be around until at least 2019, making 2020 the earliest year that land is available for re-development. I don't know if anybody has ever offered up any proof as to the length of the lease though, so it could be 10 years...who knows!! As long they keep making respectable profits, they could be around for forever!!

I made it to the park last Saturday night for my first and probably only visit this season. The park was actually not as busy as I thought it would be for a Saturday night in early August. I took advantage of the starlight admission and was at the park from about 4:30 to 10:30. The park looked great!! Everything was super clean and operations seemed to be running very efficient. I rode Renegade 4-5 times (2 night rides), Wild Thing 3-4 times, and the following once: Power Tower (red), Xtreme Swing, High Roller, Corkscrew, Mad Mouse, Enterprise, Steel Venom, Northern Lights, Excalibur, and the Bumper Cars. Having done all that in a little under 6 hours, I can honestly say I was ready to leave. In my opinion the park has a great collections of rides and has almost every category covered, but it is obviously missing a modern steel looping coaster and an extra thrill ride or two. Next year should take care of the thrill ride, so hopefully the modern looping coaster isn't far behind!

Exactly. The Dinos will more than likely become a "Deckerated" coaster as Matt Ouimet has called recent front gate coasters after VP of Design Rob Decker, but that will not happen until the Dino's useful life is complete. Who knows how long that will be. People have mentioned that they are 7 year leases, which means they will be around until at least 2019, making 2020 the earliest year that land is available for re-development. I don't know if anybody has ever offered up any proof as to the length of the lease though, so it could be 10 years...who knows!! As long they keep making respectable profits, they could be around for forever!!

I wonder the same thing since I have never seen it in print anywhere from a reliable source for how long the Dino's contract is for at VF (or any CF park). The closest I have come is from Screamscape for Dorney park where they wrote, "As for the rumor of removing Dinosaurs Alive, I've been told that the contract to keep the Dino's was expected to run out at the end of this season.". Again, nothing in print straight from a source so take it for what it is worth. If this is true though, Dorney got the Dino's in 2012 and if they are done this year and that would put it at a 5 year contract. VF got the Dino's in 2013 so that would mean after next year they could be removed based on this information. I do hope this information is accurate because I have seen the contract stated to be anywhere from 5 to 10 years long and the shorter the better.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are like a 5 year minimum lease with park options for the following years after if they are still performing well. Dorney's would be a good indicator to look at as far as a removal timeline for other parks since they added theirs first, but each attraction may perform differently at each park.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are like a 5 year minimum lease with park options for the following years after if they are still performing well. Dorney's would be a good indicator to look at as far as a removal timeline for other parks since they added theirs first, but each attraction may perform differently at each park.

Dino's are actually a 7 year lease for the parks.

Dino's are actually a 7 year lease for the parks.

Does anyone actually have proof for this? I've seen it talked about so many places, but haven't seen anyone actually show anything to show that it's true. I can't help but believe that it's just a number enthusiasts came up with to sastify their want for hope of a new coaster.

Like, has anyone even seen proof of this? It seems as if everyone has just heard it from someone else, without seeing any evidence.

I don't know if anybody has ever offered up any proof as to the length of the lease though
I wonder the same thing since I have never seen it in print anywhere from a reliable source for how long the Dino's contract is for at VF (or any CF park).

I was just there last Friday, and while the lines were longer than an average weekday, they were probably only about 5-20 minutes (Maybe around 30 for High Roller and the Mouse).

Valleyfair is a smaller park, so you shouldn't have much of a problem with getting on everything if you stay until close.

My recommendation, make Renegade the last ride of the night. It's fantastic at night (And if you have the time, just spend the last ~hour marathoning the thing in the back because it's amazing and way better than anything else at the park).

THX! We'll probably give it a try tomorrow evening

My "enthusiast bull***" detector" is going off.

Enthusiasts have a bad habit of once a rumor gets repeated 10+ times, it all of a sudden becomes talked about as a fact.

Maybe it is a fact, but I'd like to see some actual proof before we etch it in stone! I hope after 7 years it's gone cause that more than likely means coaster for 2020! Still 4 off seasons away! Can you imagine how f'n insane most of you will be by then still waiting for a new coaster...

Just playing, love you all!

At Coaster Mayhem (WOF's coaster enthusiast event), the GM told us that all of the parks signed 7 year contracts with options to renew afterwards.

Good to know. I'll take your word for it as it seems like a logical chain of events. So we're stuck with these coaster area hoggin' machine things for at least 3 more seasons...

It seems like almost every one of these attractions at their respective parks sits on prime potential coaster real estate.

What's such a tremendous joke to me about the Dinos Alive attractions (besides the very fact that they exist), is that my own young kids - the target demographic for the attraction - don't even have any interest in going to it! Seriously, such a waste... I wouldn't be surprised, assuming that there is a 7 year contract, that CF is regretting getting involved with that right about now...

As far as Enterprise going bye-bye, is it more an excuse to get rid of an aging ride with low ridership, or becauese Enterprise isn't really an efficient use of the space?

I wonder that as well. There are plenty of other spots in the park where a Star Flyer could go, such as Wild Thing's turnaround or possibly even scramblers old spot. It doesn't make sense to me why they would remove a ride to replace it with another. Unless enterprise really is aging and needed to be scrapped. Hopefully enterprise will make a return in 2018.