TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Well if they are only getting a Star Flyer let's hope it's bigger than Manticore over in the Dells otherwise they're just wasting their time and money with this.

If Mount Olympus's Manticore hasn't tipped over yet, then a star flyer at Valleyfair should have very little maintenance-related downtime.

He's also talked about many, many incorrect rumors this year and in the past so there's only so much of what he says that you can trust.

He was the one who first mentioned the enterprise rehab about a month ago. Nailed that one. Let's treat him like every other source and realize sometimes they are spot on, sometimes they are close, and sometimes they are misinformed. Take the information provided for what it is and use your professional skepticism to come to a logical conclusion.

CaptainUnknown seems like one of the better sources we have on this thread and I believe works at the park. He seems to do a good job of pointing out when he's telling you what he's heard from a source vs. an idea or opinion he has. Now please don't make me look dumb for defending you!

Edited by RollerColester

Well if they are only getting a Star Flyer let's hope it's bigger than Manticore over in the Dells otherwise they're just wasting their time and money with this.

If Mount Olympus's Manticore hasn't tipped over yet, then a star flyer at Valleyfair should have very little maintenance-related downtime.

6a8f949456429c5106010982d5a76af6.jpg

Having ridden a Windseeker and multiple Star Flyers, the Star Flyers are soooooo much better (and more terrifying if you have a height phobia). You locals should be very excited!

Having ridden a Windseeker and multiple Star Flyers, the Star Flyers are soooooo much better (and more terrifying if you have a height phobia). You locals should be very excited!

I know I am!

But I'm really really hoping they'll stick this in the Wild Thing turnaround instead of on Enterprise's pad. Would make my inner RCT player very happy.

Since I haven't been on a Star Flyer yet, can I ask what makes it better? Does it spin faster?

Yes. And the chains really do add a great element to the ride. The only advantages to Windseekers are the capacity and lighting packages.

^

Its all about the chains and minimal seats/restraints on the Star Flyers, and that the seats can swing in the wind. Pretty freaky when you are that high up. Also I love the program on Great Adventures installation where it goes up, comes halfway down and then back up. I only rode the WS @ Cedar Point and other than the view the ride experience was a snooze.

Hey everyone, followed this thread for a long time and decided to join in on the conversations. As for the possibility of a Star Flyer, I'm all for it as long as it is at least 270 feet. 300 feet would be very easy to advertise as it would be the tallest ride in the park. I live in the Minneapolis area and am currently staying at Cedar Point. The Windseeker here is a great ride in my opinion, and would love to see Valleyfair get something similar. There's something about chains that scare the living crap outta me. They just seem like they belong on swingsets and not on 300 foot amusement park rides, but I'm sure they are just as safe as any other ride.

I recently rode KK's starflyer and the cables that lift the gondola up scared me way more then the chains ever would. I have also rode the windseeker at CP and Carowinds and those never scared me. Just something about a couple cables lifting that massive rotating gondola up seems so much more sketchy then some chains only holding 2 people

I recently rode KK's starflyer and the cables that lift the gondola up scared me way more then the chains ever would. I have also rode the windseeker at CP and Carowinds and those never scared me. Just something about a couple cables lifting that massive rotating gondola up seems so much more sketchy then some chains only holding 2 people

Does anyone know how exactly how the star flyers work? By that I mean is it just the cables that pull the gondola to the top? Or is there another mechanism that helps pull it up?

I don't see the 100 ft version possibly happening. It would be such a letdown for all of the Passholders and everybody may not renew passes. Plus, it wouldn't be that much taller than the current yo-yo in Planet Snoopy.

My thoughts exactly. 100 feet doesn't really scream "new heights" to me.

Its all about the chains and minimal seats/restraints on the Star Flyers, and that the seats can swing in the wind. Pretty freaky when you are that high up. Also I love the program on Great Adventures installation where it goes up, comes halfway down and then back up. I only rode the WS @ Cedar Point and other than the view the ride experience was a snooze.

This gives me a bit more faith. I expected a lot more from KBF/WoF's Windsucker than it delivered. Could have boarded CP's, but the previous ride was anticipointing enough for an Alicia Tyler NewwWWWWP.

Really not a fan of either versions but I slightly prefer Windseekers. Both are not really thrilling rides in my opinion, but at least I can stare at the pretty lights on a Windseeker.

Fun Fact is that before the KBF accident, every park in the Cedar Fair chain was due to receive a Windseeker. Even the smallest parks like Michigan's Adventure. Unfortunately, the accident put those plans to a hault.

Unfortunately, the accident put those plans to a hault.

Or fortunately, depending on your perspective.

How awful would it have been if Cedar Fair had Windseekers installed in every park and they started having issues chain-wide at the same time?

I have a deeply unpopular take in some circles that the state of California acted properly by refusing to let Windseeker reopen when the manufacturer and Cedar Fair admitted there was no way to actually prevent the problem of the ride being stuck/slowly descending for a period of hours. That this would be considered an intended safety feature of the ride is preposterous. As much as I do at times enjoy them, I actually go through the seemingly ridiculous process of going to the bathroom before riding one simply because I know how screwed up it is.

Unfortunately, the accident put those plans to a hault.

Or fortunately, depending on your perspective.

How awful would it have been if Cedar Fair had Windseekers installed in every park and they started having issues chain-wide at the same time?

I guess I missed where any of the current installations have had issues this year.

It seems to me that you are trying really hard to convince yourself that they "suck" so you are less disappointed that you do not have one.

I guess I missed where any of the current installations have had issues this year.

It seems to me that you are trying really hard to convince yourself that they "suck" so you are less disappointed that you do not have one.

I'm tired so this is all over the place, but.

Cedar Fair circa 2013 is who thought they sucked, not me. Having never ridden a Windseeker, how could I know?

Others are saying the windseeker is not as thrilling as the star flyer, per their experience. Take that up with them.

And of course I was disappointed we didn't have a windseeker installed years ago! But I'll still take the star flyer instead in 2017 with no complaints. Not even Mount Olympus had messed theirs up. That's a good sign for our maintenence dept. Easy breezy.

You also can't claim the Windseeker wasn't a source of bad press for the Cedar Fair. You'd simply be ignoring 2013 happened. Nor could you know if Valleyfair would have gotten a working model or a defective model. There was obviously a combination of bad enough press with high enough risk for the deal to be dissolved by Cedar Fair. And that was a smart move on the part of Cedar Fair whether I like it or not... I wouldn't want Valleyfair throwing 5 million at a new windseeker just for it to be moved to Michigan's Adventure. If we'd have gotten one that needed to be removed, what a waste that would have been. And most likely that would erase any star flyer possibility in the future.

I don't need to convince myself Windseekers suck to be excited for a star flyer, I'm just acknowledging that Cedar Fair might be more adventurous than I thought. I never thought they'd go for a star flyer instead of a windseeker simply because the rides are similar, but never say never I guess.

Ultimately VF is just getting another element that Worlds of Fun already has. So it's a ride model that people tend to find more thrilling than the WOF model; don't be negative while we're still playing catch-up with the rest of the chain.