TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Anyone going to the hot dish and hops on Sunday? I think pass holders should get the free sample card instead of paying

I get the 'hops' but...'hot dish'? Is this BBQ? Or Buffet? Or.....?

Just curious, thanks.

Anyone going to the hot dish and hops on Sunday? I think pass holders should get the free sample card instead of paying

Just curious, thanks.

It's hot dish?? Have you never had hot dish before? Seriously, look up "hot dish," it's a Minnesota thing.

What's wrong with the gondola on Valleyfairs Rip Tide?

Nothing. They're waiting for different parts, probably non-gondola ones otherwise they would have just taken them from the one sitting in the lot.

Just curious, thanks.

If you live anywhere but the Midwest, it's called a casserole.

All Wheels Extreme was great tonight! Loved the whole show. Wild Things MCBR didn't really have an impact on the show. The shows music was loud enough to tune it out pretty well. The Train was pretty loud when it came by but it's at least it only comes only once every 15 minutes. Steel Venom was down for a bit today but was up by 3. Lightning took down most rides from about 6:30-8:00pm. Overall All Wheels Extreme was very entertaining!

image.thumb.jpeg.d2de37abccdc0e0e76e204816bad4a06.jpeg

Quite a few people came to watch!

image.thumb.jpeg.5bbf531f5f045cb16d7378c00fb00906.jpeg

Hoverboard? :))

Just curious, thanks.

Yeah, I got excited there for a moment. We're going to Minnesota next month, and I always like to try a local delicacy, like Chicago hot dogs or Cincinnati chili. But when I googled "hot dish," yeah, just a casserole made with canned soup and canned vegetables....

But while on this subject, when I'm in Minnesota, is there a local food that's great? We'll be most of the time in the Twin Cities, but we're taking a side trip to Duluth.

You mean you don't? Man they're dropping the ball up there. Gold/Platinum passholders at WOF get a free station sample at our food/alcohol festivals.

That's not 'dropping the ball,' that's 'shooting the fish in the barrel.' Given all the compelling reasons Not To Bother With WOF (a real B&M and a RMC @ Branson, SFStl, Schlitterbahn), they're gonna have to come in cheaper than a park that's the only game in town.

when I'm in Minnesota, is there a local food that's great? We'll be most of the time in the Twin Cities, but we're taking a side trip to Duluth.

The Juicy Lucy at Matt's 5-8 club. They cook the cheese INSIDE of the burger. If you want to stay close to the park, I would recommend Lion's Tap.

Just curious, thanks.

Yeah, I got excited there for a moment. We're going to Minnesota next month, and I always like to try a local delicacy, like Chicago hot dogs or Cincinnati chili. But when I googled "hot dish," yeah, just a casserole made with canned soup and canned vegetables....

But while on this subject, when I'm in Minnesota, is there a local food that's great? We'll be most of the time in the Twin Cities, but we're taking a side trip to Duluth.

On your trip to Duluth, try Hugo's Pizza. If you like sub sandwiches, this place can't be beat!

In Duluth, there's some fantastic meatloaf at Blackwoods. We stop there almost every time we're in Duluth, it's great.

As for Shakopee, I have no idea what's nearby.

Try Lions Tap, near Valleyfair. It will not disappoint. And if you find chef Carrillo today and ask him for a free sample card he will give you one. Source: Twitter account of VF. Sounds like what tony Clark does

Can someone confirm what Valleyfair's policy is on bringing water bottles into the park? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ on their website but I overheard a guest the other day saying they wouldn't let them bring in their water bottle to refill. The bag check wasn't in operation that day.

Water bottle should be fine. Always fine if it is just water. Medical reasons should always allow water, otherwise Valleyfair is just going to blow money giving you all those cheap plastic cups. At a couple of places they have water bottle water fountains, too.

Cool, those all sound like good places. Lions Tap is pretty cheap, too--good for after our Valleyfair day. 5-8 is pretty close to MoA, so that'd be good for that day. Both places in Duluth sound good, too. This is a real vacation, not just a coaster trip, so we're going to be in downtown St. Paul for a couple of those days. Anything near the museums that's good?

Can someone confirm what Valleyfair's policy is on bringing water bottles into the park? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ on their website but I overheard a guest the other day saying they wouldn't let them bring in their water bottle to refill. The bag check wasn't in operation that day.

I have brought my water bottle to the park several times. I would just bring one, and if you get turned away, so be it. I don't know why they wouldn't allow it, though.

Cool, those all sound like good places. Lions Tap is pretty cheap, too--good for after our Valleyfair day. 5-8 is pretty close to MoA, so that'd be good for that day. Both places in Duluth sound good, too. This is a real vacation, not just a coaster trip, so we're going to be in downtown St. Paul for a couple of those days. Anything near the museums that's good?

In Saint Paul, near the museums, try Cosetta. It is close to the Science Museum. Very good pizza, pasta (try the mostacoli), sandwiches, salads, gelato, etc. It's Italian and is consistently rated one of MN's best restaurants.

Just curious, thanks.

I guess they should have a lutefisk feed.

They've been doing security wanding at the front entrance for at least a week or so, it's probably here to stay. If they ever do give VF a new entrance gate/plaza, I assume they would probably would add metal detectors with it.

It's annoying as hell and sends the Missus and I thru the gates a bit crabby. Of course, we're accustomed to parks with dedicated detectors AND enough staff on hand to get you checked/on your way quickly. Someone should ask Matt Ouimet if The Other Guys' efficiency makes them 'generic.'

I was at the park last Saturday. I got there around 10:00 am. The lines for wanding and checking bags seems like they were a mile long in the main lot. It didn't matter which line you choose to get in they were all long. I waited about ten minutes in line. I do feel more safe with metal dectors and I don't seem to mind if they have them permantly installed with a new re modeled front plaza. If you don't want to wait in line I would suggest getting there around 9:00 am be the first in line not get there right when the park opens to avoid lines. With the Orlando shootings I think we'll see the wanding and bag checks rest of the year.