TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Also when those trims are turned off it literally slams into the final brake run.

This is doubtless way before your time...but from '96 - '98? Wild Thing's return consistently KILLED. The bunny hops were as good as the 195' drop. As I've been told the story, the repeated full stops on the first brake run forced an expensive replacement...and that was the end of our fun. Boo.

It's a shame--especially since Steel Force and Mamba literally can't do what WT does. Their bunnies are shallower.

Also when those trims are turned off it literally slams into the final brake run.

This is doubtless way before your time...but from '96 - '98? Wild Thing's return consistently KILLED. The bunny hops were as good as the 195' drop. As I've been told the story, the repeated full stops on the first brake run forced an expensive replacement...and that was the end of our fun. Boo.

It's a shame--especially since Steel Force and Mamba literally can't do what WT does. Their bunnies are shallower.

It's not before my time. I'm not as old as the park but I'm also not a 14-16 year old like some people on here. They *shhhh* still turn off the trims some times (maybe once or twice a season at most, even then it's pretty rare.) I'm still salty about missing it once last season. One day of these days.

Just rode Mamba recently and I agree with you.

I've ridden Wild Thing with about half of the trims turned off a few times, and while it isn't amazing, it does provide some nice sustained floater air instead of the tiny pops of air I usually get. Wish they would run it like that more often.

I've ridden Wild Thing with about half of the trims turned off a few times, and while it isn't amazing, it does provide some nice sustained floater air instead of the tiny pops of air I usually get. Wish they would run it like that more often.

At employee events? That's the only time they turn off the trims anymore, and when they do they turn all of them off (in the back). I felt like I almost got whiplash last year when I got a chance to do it, and we had a train that was about a quarter full. Personal opinion, but it gave better airtime than Magnum without them (though I'm pretty light so I get more than other people).

At employee events? That's the only time they turn off the trims anymore, and when they do they turn all of them off (in the back). I felt like I almost got whiplash last year when I got a chance to do it, and we had a train that was about a quarter full. Personal opinion, but it gave better airtime than Magnum without them (though I'm pretty light so I get more than other people).

Maybe depending on weather conditions and how fast it goes?

Only some of the trims were turned off, not all of them. Those rides I mentioned were all during regular operating hours (never worked at VF), so I guess I was just lucky.

Only some of the trims were turned off, not all of them. Those rides I mentioned were all during regular operating hours (never worked at VF), so I guess I was just lucky.

Oo. I know they adjust the number they use based on the day (probably the weather?). It would be interesting to ride it multiple times in a row with different numbers of the trims on to see what the difference is.

It's not before my time.

K-fine-MAYBE. My daughter in the orange (trimmed out of my pic to the left; she's on the website if you know where to look) was barely tall enough in '98. At least she got ONE good summer of consistently good WT.

The MCBR was never completely off, but always light enough for the best a Morgan can deliver.

Personal opinion, but it gave better airtime than Magnum without them (though I'm pretty light so I get more than other people).

Magnum's a very finicky beast. The same seat on the same train can still deliver a different ride from lap to lap. That having been said, WT has the potential to deliver an excellent ride consistently--which is more than you can say for Magnum. I'd trade both for Darien Lake's Ride of Steel--but that's a different story...

I wouldn't truly know. Never been there. I hear they're twins/clones, so perhaps I'd prefer it too.

Opinions are everyone's to have, but Intamin's got a damned fine bunny hop.

Of which Cedar Fair has maybe one-and-a-half. Total. It's a shame, if you ask me.

Hmm interesting ^ How about the one at SFA?

Oh God yes. Superman Ride of Steel eats Wild Thing for lunch. It's an airtime beast on every hill. Even the boring straight bits give you a more intense feeling of speed than Wild Thing ever could. Ohhhh... memories.

^The second big airtime hill and the three bunny hops are very good, the first airtime hill and drop and very "meh." It's a solid coaster overall, but I still prefer rides like Nitro or most other Intamin hyper/giga coasters.

There are definitely coasters better than it, but SFA's S:ROS easily shreds any of the Morgan hypers. I would swap it with Wild Thing in a heartbeat. But that's another horse beaten to death, so moving on...

And in all fairness, Wild Thing's the closest CF's come to putting Valleyfair 'On the Map.' Think of all the other parks--MAJOR league amusement parks--that had nothing like it.

Meanwhile, the only other 'record' Valleyfair's set?

Longest timespan for a corporate park without adding a looping coaster. Thirty-five seasons. ZERO new looping coasters.

Think about that.

^Agreed. My personal wants and feelings for Valleyfair differ from reality too much at times lol. I'd love to see a coaster addition soon. It doesn't have to be anything innovative or record-breaking, just substantive and showing quality.

Or not.

Where's our boomerang, darn it?

Honestly any new coaster for me has to be something really fun and not a rehash of a lame coaster to bring us back to VF.

Wild Thing is a fairly mediocre ride now, the drop is nothing special, nice floater air on a couple hills but the bunny hills on the back side are lackluster. The trains are big bathtubs that make WT even worse. Riding in the back of the trains is an ear shattering experience going up the lift hill. The break run slows you down so bad that it makes the bunny hills boring.

It is really sad that there has been 35 years (and counting) between the first and only looping coaster in the park and the next one.

They'd have to go full-circuit after 3+ decades without a looper. Visitors would CRUSH the queues.

And VF wouldn't come close to hypothetical PPH at the levels they staff the coasters these days.

Damn Minnesota's higher minimum wage AND strong economy, huh?

Even servers have a $9/hour minimum wage (unlike Ohio) and employers here are still scramblin' to find people to work.

Wait, those are good problems. Among the best you can have, honestly. But a shuttle coaster line would suuuuuuuuuck.

The one record we have going for us in the chain is that we have the tallest drop tower. While CP's Power Tower is 300ft, the actual ride portion is only 240. Our PowTow is 250.

We also have the largest Screamin' Swing alongside CP. Theirs is only slightly taller cuz of the darn sign on top.

The one record we have going for us in the chain is that we have the tallest drop tower. While CP's Power Tower is 300ft, the actual ride portion is only 240. Our PowTow is 250.

We also have the largest Screamin' Swing alongside CP. Theirs is only slightly taller cuz of the darn sign on top.

The VF flat collection is pretty great, I have no complaints there.

I do kind of wonder if VF would have done better building the waterpark where Route 76 is now and if they should have kept the log flume at the back...

Wouldn't it have been easier to expand the waterpark into the parking lot and expand the parking lot toward the dorms?

The one record we have going for us in the chain...

But those records are absolutely meaningless! Wait--gimme a minute.

*reads CF's far-sillier list of 'Ten Wurld Records' accompanying press release for Valravyn*

What was I saying? PARK CHAIN RECORDS WHOOHOO!!!1

I believe Kings Island and Kings Dominion both have taller drop towers.

I believe you are correct. VF might have the tallest Power Tower but not the tallest drop towers.

I believe you are correct. VF might have the tallest Power Tower but not the tallest drop towers.

Welp, it appears I learned something new today. Looks like theirs is 270 ft.

What was I saying? PARK CHAIN RECORDS WHOOHOO!!!1

I know right. So many good records there