TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I just arrived at the park to pick up my season pass I saw the xtreme swing doing some ride testing along with northern lights, enterprise and when I was leaving the park I saw Wild Thing doing a test run looks like there's some ride testing going on seems like the park is ready to go. One thing I notice is the main parking lot could use some new paving because the weeds and grass are starting to come through the pavement the main lot looks in bad shape and could use some new re stripping to see the parking spaces and new toll lanes for next year.

Hey guys I'm driving up from Missouri in a couple weeks for work, I plan on stopping at an amusement park over the weekend. Would you recommend Como town or valley fair? I've read a lot of negative things about VF on here and Como town looks awesome! Tiger trax looks insane! Would like to know some thoughts!

Tiger Trax to Wild Thing is like a tricycle to a Harley Davidson. If you have kids and want to see animals, go Como. If you want actual thrill rides, ValleyFair. As much as I love plants and animals, I'd still go to ValleyFair.

Come on guys... Tiger Trax vs. Wild Thing is not a fair comparison. Here's a better playing field...

If you wanna ride that frog hopper, we've got one of those too!

Wild Thing being the most popular ride doesn't surprise me all that much. Popularity is most likely judged by ridership numbers. And it's the biggest people-eater in the park. As for that museum exhibit having Colonel Ohoom Pa Pa's (probably taxidermied) carcass is a little creepy. Doing commissioning on Power Tower was tiring today, but it was great to be home. The flyers are mostly set up. They just need a lot of fencing put in place. And then it'll need commissioning. Excited for this season.

I just arrived at the park to pick up my season pass I saw the xtreme swing doing some ride testing along with northern lights, enterprise and when I was leaving the park I saw Wild Thing doing a test run looks like there's some ride testing going on seems like the park is ready to go. One thing I notice is the main parking lot could use some new paving because the weeds and grass are starting to come through the pavement the main lot looks in bad shape and could use some new re stripping to see the parking spaces and new toll lanes for next year.

The rides may be up and awake but they're not quite ready yet (at least most of them aren't). We have to finish commissioning and training. Most rides have started the process, though some are still being worked on (Flying Eagles, for example). Wave just got water but wasn't running today, nor was Ferris Wheel. I think we can all agree that the parking lot needs to be redone, though at this point it's too late for them to do it this season.

As a side note, I finally saw Carousel today for the first time since last season. I ALMOST CRIED It's getting new gates and the entire top portion has been refurbished. The non-refurbished sections (which will be done over the next two or so years) look shabby in comparison, which is saying a lot because most of it is in pretty good shape.

I watched some you tube videos on Kings Island opening day. I saw there new toll booth lanes they have 13 of them. Really like the new entrance I'm going on there on my east coast Cedar Point trip in July. If Valleyfair is not going to get anything new next year how about improvements done on the main parking lot and adding new toll lanes like Kings Island has gotten? For Valleyfair maybe a smaller size and widen the lanes for buses and campers. One thing I think they need to do some re stripping in the main lot cover some pot holes to.

One thing I think would look cool under the Wild Thing turn around you could put a Wind Seeker in there max height 275 feet or a sling shot would look nice for 2017. I also think the park needs a giant frisbee to.

Edited by Lightning Rod

While Valleyfair may not get a new coaster, don't write off not adding something else. This park could very much use a thrill ride or water park expansion, one of which is almost for sure happening next year. Our "off-year", this year, is pretty nice compared to other parks' off years. (New Flat Ride, Ampitheater, New Show, Heavy Restoration on High Roller -- that's Dorneys addition alone, Carousel restoration, new branded restaurant in Subway, and special events all season). Don't be so glum -- it will be a fun season.

Everybody laughed at the person who said that Excalibur would be converted into a stand up and thrown to Michigans Adventure; at least that person knew what a stand up coaster was. Don't post such dumb questions on this thread.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. That's why we ask questions. All I wanted was a little advice, don't make such a big deal about it.

Good luck to both of you! Maybe I'll get you guys on my team...

I'm in admissions, sorry. I'm working tollbooth and ticket sales! Both of which I'm not supposed to be old enough to do.

Regardless, can't wait to have a great summer with the whole team!

I was training in admissions that day!

Well since I have to make a trip up to the Twin Cities later this summer I'll give this park a chance. Course I won't buy anything since I'll use my platinum pass, platinum dining, and platinum refill cup.

Awesome!

Everybody laughed at the person who said that Excalibur would be converted into a stand up and thrown to Michigans Adventure; at least that person knew what a stand up coaster was. Don't post such dumb questions on this thread.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. That's why we ask questions. All I wanted was a little advice, don't make such a big deal about it.

Alright VF is infinitely better if you want thrills and more variety. Como Town is aimed towards very young children and the rides they have are very generic you would find in any kids area, state fair, or carnival. As a very young child I enjoyed VF more than Como Town. VF was like the best day of the year, and Como was just a good day.

Drove by Valleyfair on the way to work saw some more ride testing Wild Thing, Power Tower and Steel Venom. How much re tracking was done on Renegade during the off season? One week to go before Sunday, May 8 season pass holders preview day .

The brand study that some on here have dismissed is a very big deal. Cedar Fair only does one or two of these per year. It's a long exhaustive study to find out what the local market wants. The purpose of it is to determine what expansions Valleyfair will be getting in the next few years.

-A couple other things that I learned last week, the trains on high roller are the same trains. They are only getting refurbished, not replaced. Dave said the seats will be higher and much more comfortable. They are not Dorney's old trains as some have speculated.

-Another thing is the amphitheater remodel. They have actually added seating to get closer to the stage. Mr. Frazier said they do have some concerts scheduled there this year. They are going to take some measures to muffle the MCBR of Wild Thing so it's not such a noise issue. There are a couple of things they are going to do. If they are successful in muffling the brake run then the amphitheater may just become a permanent venue that they will use for more live shoes. So it seems clear to me that our future dark ride will not be located there after all.

-When Mr. Frazier stated in his star tribune interview that the park is physically unable to expand he was telling the truth. I think it may have been a PR statement to put some pressure on the city and ACE to approve the permit. In the meantime, while the park may not be able to grow it's acreage just yet there is plenty of room in the current boundaries to add attractions. They could also just move much of the parking toward the dorms and expand out into the existing parking lot.

to rockinroller29,

Valleyfair is a great park! I highly recommend it and would make it a must do if your in this area. For that matter Nick U. and Como town are also pretty great. Como Town is a kids park but there are a few fun things for adults. The best part is the zoo which is free. There is also a world class conservatory and Japanese Garden which is also free. They do ask for donations but it is not required. Over all, with everything there is to do at Como Town, it will make a full day.

Have a great trip!!

Are the mid course brake runs by the amphitheater going to be to loud you can here them through the out the park. If there going to make it a permanent venue running concerts or shows there. If Wild Thing is going to run only two trains why not just turn off the mid course brake run and do some test runs see how that would work? I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts would love to have the brake run turn off?

Edited by Lightning Rod

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but I haven't been a religious reader of this thread... The thought occurred to me, looking at a satellite image of the park, that the vacant space that used to be for the Antique Cars, is a prime spot for a large coaster, and new, Decker-ized entrance! Just a thought, as it was implied by Ouimet that other parks would still be getting that treatment, and Valleyfair seems like it's setting up to be a prime candidate.

Are the mid course brake runs by the amphitheater going to be to loud you can here them through the out the park. If there going to make it a permanent venue running concerts or shows there. If Wild Thing is going to run only two trains why not just turn off the mid course brake run and do some test runs see how that would work? I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts would love to have the brake run turn off?

Because in the summer months Morgan hypers burn through wheels almost constantly. They're just trying to cut down on that.

Edited by WOFanatic

Ask questions. That's what this place is for. That jerk isn't a moderator. I don't think you did anything wrong.

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but I haven't been a religious reader of this thread... The thought occurred to me, looking at a satellite image of the park, that the vacant space that used to be for the Antique Cars, is a prime spot for a large coaster, and new, Decker-ized entrance! Just a thought, as it was implied by Ouimet that other parks would still be getting that treatment, and Valleyfair seems like it's setting up to be a prime candidate.

That spot is where Dinosaurs Alive is right now, though I do agree that would probably be the best place to put a coaster if "not being able to expand the park physically" is true. I've heard rumors that the Dinos contract only runs until 2018 or 2019, so if that's true, we could potentially see a coaster there in 2019 or 2020 (assuming the ACE permit gets approved by then).

Side note, I've been reading that Worlds of Fun could possibly be adding a Premier Sky Rocket II (Tempesto/Phobia clone). How would the rest of you feel if VF got one of those in the near future? It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a new coaster, but beggars can't be choosers.

Because in the summer months Morgan hypes burn through wheels almost constantly. They're just trying to cut down on that.

Also when those trims are turned off it literally slams into the final brake run. There is a video of an old ERT when it first opened of

when they had the trims off. It also increases tunnel speed, causing the ride to fault.

Side note, I've been reading that Worlds of Fun could possibly be adding a Premier Sky Rocket II (Tempesto/Phobia clone). How would the rest of you feel if VF got one of those in the near future? It certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a new coaster, but beggars can't be choosers.

I don't feel like it would fit in at Valleyfair. It would be too similar to Steel Venom. Worlds of Fun is rumored to get one because they don't have a launch coaster yet.

I don't feel like it would fit in at Valleyfair. It would be too similar to Steel Venom. Worlds of Fun is rumored to get one because they don't have a launch coaster yet.

To be fair, that didn't stop SFDK from putting one in.

edit: not saying VF would get one, just stating that similarity to Steel Venom would not be the reason against it

To be fair, that didn't stop SFDK from putting one in.

edit: not saying VF would get one, just stating that similarity to Steel Venom would not be the reason against it

That's a good point. But then again, I hope CF isn't as stupid as Six Flags is.