TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Regardless, I will probably get a pass in 2017. I skipped this year with no new good additions, (and being a little tired of the park) but I already miss the place and I feel I get the money's worth from the experience. I would rather keep riding old coasters than make a statement CF doesn't care about. They don't care about what enthusiasts want, they care about money, and as long as the GP keep returning to the park there isn't any new need for a coaster presented (at the moment). They still could add one because they want to increase attendance more, because VF is a growth park (this doesn't mean coaster but it is a possibility) or another reason. I am proceeding optimistic and believe we will get something good soon, coaster or not. (Common 2018!)

Does anyone have access or know where to find Valleyfair's attendance records by year? I'd be curious to see the trend since we got Renegade in 2007.

Actual numbers are not public information (Be it daily, yearly, or ridership per attraction).

With the coaster out for 2017 I could see a Frisbee and maybe another European Troika. This also makes me question: why did WoF get the Troika/Condor? Both VF and CGA were on that famous expansion park list with Carowinds, and look what they're getting.

With the coaster out for 2017 I could see a Frisbee and maybe another European Troika. This also makes me question: why did WoF get the Troika/Condor? Both VF and CGA were on that famous expansion park list with Carowinds, and look what they're getting.

WOF had a bigger budget than VF and CGA this year so they decided to invest their money wisely. I'm guessing KD and WOF both got around a $5 million budget, but WOF decided to spend it on seven smaller rides (plus GCI on Timberwolf and Mamba repaint) while KD put all their money into one ride.

That expansion list is BS by the way. If Matt really said investments were coming, they would've come. The only reason CGA revealed a massive plan was so the city would back them up in their efforts against the 49's.

I'm not saying this from a fanboy perspective. Just a logical one: If any park needs expansion right now, it's WOF. Silver Dollar City is about to build two massive new roller coasters by 2020, Schlitterbahn just built the world's tallest water slide, Six Flags is most likely building a new coaster, and Adventureland is killing it with Storm Chaser and Monster. The competition is fierce in Missouri right now. WOF needs to do something or it will be a thing of the past.

VF reminds me a lot of SFSTL. Both parks appear to be happy with their role as a "locals hangout" - adding just enough to stay semi-relevant in the minds of those nearby, but never really going out of their ways to enlarge their attendance drawing pool. VF also suffers from having no real competition in the area. Sure NU, but NU has a different clientele than VF - as does COMO Town.

As mentioned already, WOF is now in a battle with other area parks and is trying to reinvent itself with festivals and placemaking themed additions. Some of the additions remind me a lot of KBF's Ghost Town

VF reminds me a lot of SFSTL. Both parks appear to be happy with their role as a "locals hangout" - adding just enough to stay semi-relevant in the minds of those nearby, but never really going out of their ways to enlarge their attendance drawing pool. VF also suffers from having no real competition in the area. Sure NU, but NU has a different clientele than VF - as does COMO Town.

As mentioned already, WOF is now in a battle with other area parks and is trying to reinvent itself with festivals and placemaking themed additions. Some of the additions remind me a lot of KBF's Ghost Town

Agreed. Worlds of Fun has become one of Cedar Fair's moat themed parks in the last couple of years, only beaten out by Knott's. Hell, they even built a jailhouse in the western-themed section of the park just for the heck of it this year! Additions such as the Train Robbery and other neat minor details are starting to Bing back the charm that was ripped away in the mid-2000's. As crazy as it sounds, if I were in charge, WOF would be the next park to receive Carowinds treatment. SDC has proven that Missouri can support a 2 million+ park attendance wise, so why couldn't WOF? I was just reading the other day about a newspaper in Omaha, Nebraska celebrating Opening Day at WOF! That's some good draw!

I want to try to redirect the focus of this discussion. Everyone seems to focus on the "no coaster in 2017" statement. I understand, I'm frustrated about it too. But as many have already said, its not a surprise. If we were getting a new coaster in 2017, we would have already seen ground work being done last fall. So, we could still see ground work start this fall for a coaster in 2018! That does not mean that we won't get something really cool for 2017! Now, to add something to this discussion. When submitting a permit like this, the company or organization which is submitting the permit, in this case Valleyfair, has to put on the permit what they intend to do with the area if its approved. That can change! Think about that for a min.

I am surprised to not see too many comments about the brand study in July. This is huge! I would have thought VF would be further down the list for having this done but they will do it in July this year! It's the same study they did at Carowinds before they took that park and blew it out of the water. It's the same study they did at Knott's before they focused on returning that park to what the people wanted and its blowing all of their attendance estimates out of the water. Let's put it all into perspective for a moment. Cedar Fair has listed VF as a growth park several times now to its shareholders. Now, we learn that a brand study will be done in July and this study is what will determine what Cedar Fair exactly is going to do with the park. You couple that with expanding the berm to the west which will open up about 30% (my estimate) more land to expand, coupled with what Cedar Fair has already done in the last few years and that gets me excited.

I asked about ValleyScare and how it did last fall. I was told it did "Very Well". Some of their biggest days were weekends in October. Valleyfair really does an outstanding job with this and it's paying off big!

I do have more to share but I'll open it up for comments again and share the rest later.

P.S. In case your wondering where I'm getting this information, as some have asked me already. I met with Mr. Frazier on Wednesday morning and took a tour of the park. He cannot share information with me that is not for public knowledge and he does a great job of it. Any hypothetical comments are coming from me.

WOF had a bigger budget than VF and CGA this year so they decided to invest their money wisely. I'm guessing KD and WOF both got around a $5 million budget, but WOF decided to spend it on seven smaller rides (plus GCI on Timberwolf and Mamba repaint) while KD put all their money into one ride.

That expansion list is BS by the way. If Matt really said investments were coming, they would've come. The only reason CGA revealed a massive plan was so the city would back them up in their efforts against the 49's.

I'm not saying this from a fanboy perspective. Just a logical one: If any park needs expansion right now, it's WOF. Silver Dollar City is about to build two massive new roller coasters by 2020, Schlitterbahn just built the world's tallest water slide, Six Flags is most likely building a new coaster, and Adventureland is killing it with Storm Chaser and Monster. The competition is fierce in Missouri right now. WOF needs to do something or it will be a thing of the past.

Mr. Ouimet has stated multiple times now, at the Cedar Fair share holders meeting, how VF, CGA and Carowinds have been listed as growth parks and that Cedar Fair will focus on expansion in those parks. It does not mean that WOF or any other park is going to be neglected. He never said that the expansions would be immediate nor did he say it would be a decade or more. The point is that the investments will be spread out of several years so they don't overextend themselves. He did mention, in the last quarterly meeting I think, that they were very pleased with Carowinds and that their expectations have been far exceeded.

Why does everyone think right as soon as an announcement of Cedar Fair expanding certain parks means it's going to happen immediately? Major investments don't just happen, they take years to plan out. WOF is just getting a flat ride package of rides that are already purchased. Why not put them in as soon as possible? I'm sure we will see Valleyfair's new coaster in the coming five years, give or take.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

New coaster in 5 years give or take........well I am waiting on pins and needles

I like that they are doing the review thing in July, but honestly if the berm doesn't get approved to move and the road doesn't move what could the park do?

Is it than going to move the parking lot more towards the dorms and expand the park into what is now the parking lot?

I'm not going to believe VF is the next Carowinds until I see it. The whole growth park thing is really trailing off into justifying a chain wide branding survey into our next coaster. VF is still a growth park, but no one knows what exactly this means for the park and it is pretty irritating when people practically say there is a coaster on the way.

Hey guys I'm driving up from Missouri in a couple weeks for work, I plan on stopping at an amusement park over the weekend. Would you recommend Como town or valley fair? I've read a lot of negative things about VF on here and Como town looks awesome! Tiger trax looks insane! Would like to know some thoughts!

Hey guys I'm driving up from Missouri in a couple weeks for work, I plan on stopping at an amusement park over the weekend. Would you recommend Como town or valley fair? I've read a lot of negative things about VF on here and Como town looks awesome! Tiger trax looks insane! Would like to know some thoughts!

Tiger Trax to Wild Thing is like a tricycle to a Harley Davidson. If you have kids and want to see animals, go Como. If you want actual thrill rides, ValleyFair. As much as I love plants and animals, I'd still go to ValleyFair.

Tiger Trax to Wild Thing is like a tricycle to a Harley Davidson. If you have kids and want to see animals, go Como. If you want actual thrill rides, ValleyFair. As much as I love plants and animals, I'd still go to ValleyFair.

Come on guys... Tiger Trax vs. Wild Thing is not a fair comparison. Here's a better playing field...

image.thumb.png.2025a80277218b54b0ee9d5eccd51af4.png

(I'm just kidding. No hard feelings ;))

I'm not trolling, I've just heard a lot of good things about Como Town so its going to be a tough decision. I was looking at the prices of VF and see that Como is free to get in but you have to buy ride tickets kind of like Knoebels. Does Como Town have the fast lane option? Not seeing a lot of info on their website! Thanks in advance!

The StarTribune recently published an article saying this about Valleyfair's expansion:

While the park may change, it can’t expand physically, since it borders the river, the highway and a small airport. It’s one-third the size of some other parks in the Cedar Fair chain, Frazier said.

The park probably could expand, although it would be difficult.

Also, the park said that Wild Thing is their most popular ride, which I guess is true, but also shocks me at the same time with other good rides in the park like Steel Venom and Renegade.

Below is the link for the StarTribune story on the Shakopee exhibit celebrating 40 years of Valleyfair. I love the part where they write about when Wild Thing was added to the park attendance records where set followed by other years of attendance increases and remains the parks most popular ride. Who would of thought that adding a big roller coaster like that to a park would do that?

http://www.startribune.com/scott-county-historical-society-exhibit-celebrates-40-years-of-valleyfair/377668201/

I'm not trolling, I've just heard a lot of good things about Como Town so its going to be a tough decision. I was looking at the prices of VF and see that Como is free to get in but you have to buy ride tickets kind of like Knoebels. Does Como Town have the fast lane option? Not seeing a lot of info on their website! Thanks in advance!

No ComoTown doesn't have fast lane -- all of the rides are for toddlers. If you are new to theme park and threads, than that is OK, but Valleufair is just so obviously better. A park with 8 coasters is better than a park with a state fair mad mouse and. playground.

Everybody laughed at the person who said that Excalibur would be converted into a stand up and thrown to Michigans Adventure; at least that person knew what a stand up coaster was. Don't post such dumb questions on this thread.