TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Rides leadership has a great weekend back in the park. We started hands-on training out at the rides, which is always fun. The Eagles are all strung up, but it looks like panel work continues. Ferris wheel also seems to be getting new light patterns (It was hard to tell in the lighting). Nothing on the scale of CP but us Ops will enjoy the change in the night's scenery.

I laugh at Wild Thing, though. Nothing's changed but apparently they had a fun afternoon with it.

I was at the Orientation!

Can't wait for location training on the 30th!

Rides leadership has a great weekend back in the park. We started hands-on training out at the rides, which is always fun. The Eagles are all strung up, but it looks like panel work continues. Ferris wheel also seems to be getting new light patterns (It was hard to tell in the lighting). Nothing on the scale of CP but us Ops will enjoy the change in the night's scenery.

I laugh at Wild Thing, though. Nothing's changed but apparently they had a fun afternoon with it.

I was there too on Sunday for orientation! It definitely solidified the idea of working there and I can't wait. It was awesome to see the park coming back to life, and now I'm super excited for training on May 1st!

I was there too on Sunday for orientation! It definitely solidified the idea of working there and I can't wait. It was awesome to see the park coming back to life, and now I'm super excited for training on May 1st!

I think I talked to you afterwards. Are you in admissions? That's what I'm doing, lol.

Have either of you received your IDs yet? Or been assigned your ride team?

I am receiving my ID soon and I am in admissions, lol. I'll be ride attending and operating ASAP!

I think I talked to you afterwards. Are you in admissions? That's what I'm doing, lol.

I'm in rides, so I'm not sure if we talked or not! And I also have not gotten my ID yet, but I assume we will at location training!

I visited the park this morning and found out a few interesting tidbits that I'd like to share.

-Cedar Fair will conduct it's brand study of Valleyfair in July. This is the same study that preceded expansions at Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, Knott's and Cedar Point. I understand Cedar Point is always in a state of expansion but the other three not so much. They may be asking park enthusiasts to participate in this study but the detail is not yet known.

-It was confirmed to me that we will not see a new coaster in 2017. That does not mean that new coaster work won't start in 2017 for a 2018 opening.

-The permit submitted to the Army Corp of Engineers and the city of Shakopee to extend the berm has not been approved yet but is still in the discussion phase. I did also learn that the park has been working for 4 years on this project already.

Comments? Questions? Ask and I will answer if I can. That's all for now but I do have more. I don't want to dump too much at one time.

P.S. The park is looking great but there is a TON of activity all over the park. The Wave was being filled and Thunder Canyon was being cleaned for opening. Riptide was down for repairs but other than that all rides are ready to go.

Ooooo.... There are definitely going to be people unhappy without a coaster next year. I can just feel it now. I CAN FEEL IT. I kind of guessed already that nothing was gonna happen, now it just makes me more excited to see what we wwill be getting next year.

Better get that park nice and clean and sparkly for the study in July. Last year when Ouimett came in July they were having us do cleaning projects all over the place. They even wanted us to clean out Cork pond, which isn't even something we can clean as ride ops. The closest I've gotten to it is walking on the train bridge or when I had to go rescue a dead phone from the rocks by PowTow.

With WOFs possible big addition, I really want to go on the trip to help them next year, assuming we do it again. I was so dead and burned but I had so much fun.

I'm not disappointed because I wasn't expecting a new coaster next year in the first place, although the social media backlash for the flyers and bike show was pretty bad, so can't imagine how bad it will be next year, especially if we get another family-oriented addition.

It's great to hear that the request with the Army Corps of Engineers is still in process and was not abandoned. And the fact that they've been pursuing this for four years bodes well. Perhaps Valleyfair has been saving up for a massive rework of the back of the park and the waterpark if/when the approval is given? That alone could explain the coaster drought, and it would be worth it in the long run.

And of course we're waiting on government bureaucracy at this point, so who knows how long this wait will be. Hopefully they'll reach some sort of approval in 2016 so work can start in winter.

Edit: and by work I have no idea what that would mean, maybe just starting by filling in the wetlands.

If CF is being reactionary with their lower-tier parks (no surprise WOF gets their first new coaster in 10 years after Adventureland makes a landmark addition two hours away), is the same true for Valleyfair? Is NU@MOA going to need to get a coaster before Valleyfair gets another one? We could be waiting many years for that to happen...

If CF is being reactionary with their lower-tier parks (no surprise WOF gets their first new coaster in 10 years after Adventureland makes a landmark addition two hours away), is the same true for Valleyfair? Is NU@MOA going to need to get a coaster before Valleyfair gets another one? We could be waiting many years for that to happen...

I don't think that's the case. I think VF is simply more concerned with getting the waterpark up to the scale of the market first. Worlds of Fun already has a large waterpark as they don't have to deal with the same kinds of restrictions that Valleyfair faces. And if VF does get permission to fill in the wetlands and build a parking lot, expand the waterpark, etc., we could very easily get a new coaster back there. Dinos Alive spot is the only other real option and that's tabled until the Dinos contract is up anyway. VF is stuck for now.

2017, looks like another year to not renew the season passes with the addition of nothing once again. I don't count the Eagles and a bike show something that is a decent addition.

Do they actually think people will continue to go to the park year after year with nothing big added? It seems the longer it goes the more people will put the park in the back of their minds and not consider season passes even if a coaster shows up in the next decade.

I am really curious what people think on this subject, thanks.

2017, looks like another year to not renew the season passes with the addition of nothing once again. I don't count the Eagles and a bike show something that is a decent addition.

Do they actually think people will continue to go to the park year after year with nothing big added? It seems the longer it goes the more people will put the park in the back of their minds and not consider season passes even if a coaster shows up in the next decade.

I am really curious what people think on this subject, thanks.

I'm not from Minnesota, but if I had the option between an annual pass to MoA or VF, it would be a tough sell. I'd probably opt for MoA and buy a one-day ticket during HAUNT! Even with some of the worst operations I've ever seen at a park, Nickelodeon Universe is an awesome park with some great one-of-a-kind attractions (including my favorite flat ride of all time, Shell Shock). VF doesn't offer too much of a unique product anymore. I'd love for them to get an invert, but CF doesn't like adding B&M's to smaller parks anymore (last one was in 2006).

I'm not disappointed because I wasn't expecting a new coaster next year in the first place,....

I think most people with any common sense feel the same way. Until the decision is made on whether they can move the service road, VF/CF is not gong to make a major investment like a new coaster.

WOF gets their first new coaster in 10 years

They actually got their last one in 2009, Renegade's little sibling Prowler, making it 8 years. We'll be hitting 11 years assuming we get one in 2018. Granted, their slice of the Cedar Fair pie is bigger than ours so it kinda makes sense.

Am I happy? No. Does it make sense? Yes. We'll get our coaster when we get it.

WOF gets their first new coaster in 10 years

They actually got their last one in 2009, Renegade's little sibling Prowler, making it 8 years. We'll be hitting 11 years assuming we get one in 2018. Granted, their slice of the Cedar Fair pie is bigger than ours so it kinda makes sense.

Am I happy? No. Does it make sense? Yes. We'll get our coaster when we get it.

That is assuming WOF gets a coaster, which I'm still leaning towards no.

Do they actually think people will continue to go to the park year after year with nothing big added?

Yes, Cause that is the enthusiasts point of view. Your average local and regional visitor will continue going, as you can see by the park not losing attendance.