TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

We have to turn in employee paperwork 2 weeks prior to training, or 2 weeks prior to orientation?

The only thing that needs two weeks is the authorization for your background check. Everything else just needs to be completed before your first orientation/training day, at least the day before.

Leadership training was super fun! There's a ton of awesome things going on in the park (including some minor things that I've not seen announced yet) so it's going to be a great season! Unless we seem them announced before opening, it's going to like a scavenger hunt as you guys find them

As a comment about the slides: the backs are still their original colors, so I assume it's some kind of coating? No one really knows why or what it is exactly. There's was discussion among the Park Ops department about rash guards while riding the slides as well, so if anyone has problems with burns I'd recommend looking into it. They are tight to the skin unlike T-shirts, from my understanding, and may eliminate some of the painful friction burns.

IMHO the best 'minor' announcement they could make is the addition of a couple-three hundred more chairs to the water park. And that they've paved over one of their stupid widdle mud pits--sorry, volleyball courts?--to accommodate them. But that's just me. And the missus. And everybody laying on the teensy patches of grass on their towels. Or sitting on curbs.

It's more than a bit maddening to hear CF's 3Q conference call, where they admit they retain guests longer with shade in the water park (NO!) and places to sit (you don't say?) while you know that only applies to Cedar Point, Carowinds, Knotts and maybe Canada's Wonderland if the price of oil climbs up a bit.

To briefly summarize tho: CHAIRS.

...retain guests longer with shade in the water park (NO!)

Um, yes they do? 95% percent of the GP is just in the water park to cool off on a hot day. How do you cool off? Water. SHADE. That's just common sense?

When I said minor changes I didn't mean anything like 300+ chairs. I'm talking minor minor, like policy changes... like things that don't cost much money but still go towards making a better guest experience? For example, we no longer have to physically pull on the orange seat belt on Corkscrew; it's just a visual check. That's going to shave time off of our cycles so we can get more in in an hour, and people get to ride more and don't have to wait as long. I also think it's important to remember that VF is in a growing phase right now. Changes are gradual.

When I said minor changes I didn't mean anything like 300+ chairs. I'm talking minor minor, like policy changes... like things that don't cost much money but still go towards making a better guest experience?

I figured as much. But the minute I type the word 'chairs' the rant's gotta come outta me.

Twenty year passholder types have to dream a little. Even if they're teeny tiny, painfully obvious ones.

That make all too much sense.

Last time we spent a couple days at SFGAM's Hurricane Harbor, the missus and I kept taking 'Empty Beach Chair Pr0n' photos and giggling amongst ourselves. What the--what are those things? Never seen those where we live. Headscratch, headscratch. Okay I'm gonna stop now!

Valleyfair News Today, What?

1) Valleyfair announced a contest on Twitter that features trivia and goes on daily for 40 days with 40 prizes such as tickets, behind the scenes experiences, and other food/games/etc. Sounds fun!

2) The 2016 Park Map was announced today. Nothing new --> other than Coke Fill up or refill stations are listed at 4-5 places around the park. I'm curious to wonder but fast to assume that these locations are with the new, spiffy Coke Freestyle machines ! So another reason to buy all season drinks!

3) On the map, 40th anniversary photo locations were listed. I imagine these to be just some cut-outs with hashtags on it so you post it on your social media.

^ I find they're a double-edged sword. They're awesome for the amount of flavors they provide, but I kinda hate them because I can never remember what crazy concoctions I create (hello, alliteration).

Hold-on-waitaminnit STOP right there. Can someone direct me to a specific page on Valleyfair's web site confirming they're Freestyle machines? Or have one of you leadership attendees been told this directly?

For someone who will not drink sugared soda--or does not have that option at all--Freestyle machines are inestimably HUGE. I'll buy four of those damned all-season cups myself. And look at my wife like, 'Gurl, whatchoo drinkin?'

Seriously, do NOT play with my delicate feelings. Are you absolutely certain? Can you prove this? If you can't, you're gonna have to listen to me whine and moan about this until November. To you. Personally. Trust that NO dispatch time will be swift enough to spare you my grief. I know what some o' you look like, and at least one of you is really short--I'm just saying, swear to me on all that is Grape Mello Yello Zero (alternately, Peach Fanta Zero) that you're absolutely certain of this. Or that you're not sure. PLEASE.

Cedar Point has them, so it wouldn't be surprising if we got them too.

*Stops reading, slams own head thru office desk*

I dont think you need the new coke machines. Reading your posts I think you have had enough caffeine.

Quite the contrary! Freestyle machines would grant me sugar-free choices WITHOUT caffeine. Which just might calm me the (bleep) down.

K-but-seriously, I'd honestly be more excited about Freestyle machines than a custom B&M invert at Valleyfair. Partly because inverts are twenty-years-ago, but mostly 'cause Rob Decker and company would wuss out the best transitions, too. Might sound crazy to you. But there's limits to how badly they can CF-up a soda dispenser.

Cedar Point has them, so it wouldn't be surprising if we got them too.

*Stops reading, slams own head thru office desk*

For a company trying to iron out the differences between each park, it just wouldn't surprise me.

I feel like the park map looks just like last years theme wise and should be a red back round not blue.

They only change the actual map itself for additions/removals. Really the only "theme" that changes from year to year on the park maps is what areas they're highlighting, like how last year they pointed out Rita's. I haven't seen a physical copy of the map myself, but I would think they'd at least change the background color? Of course, blue is a very appealing color so I can see why they'd keep it the same.

Or have one of you leadership attendees been told this directly?

We didn't hear anything about it so I'm curious as well.

You'd want a Stratacoaster or Gigacoaster or Mooseycoaster or whatever CedarFrankensteined device over 200 feet they've got elsewhere in the chain? I wouldn't. Okay, perhaps the last two B&Ms they've built weren't so terrible-looking. Not perfect, mind you. But they day they'd waste $25 million on a Top Thrill Dragster or MF in Minnesota? Oh no no no. That's the day you REALLY see me lose my marbles. And not in a good way.

I'm not saying TTD or MF are horrid. Diamondbore? Yes, I would. Maverick? Two or three good elements in an insipid layout overall. Wait, where was I going with this? Right, tall things. I wouldn't place any 300+ tall coaster or ride amongst my top ten.

Is soda all that important? Sorta. When I'm in a park with the classics AND loopers with Gs, the Freestyle machine's still a highlight of my day. Whether I'm in Chicago or jumping the lines repeatedly at IOA or wherever else the attractions are the best they can be, it's still a big perk to Freestyle the flavor I want.

Again, you might not see it that way and that's fine. We've all got our own opinions. But to me? It's sort of a big deal.