TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

I have been a loyal season pass holder with Valleyfair since 1996 when Wild Thing opened up and will continue to renew my pass but the only reason I renew my platinum pass and the fine dining to every year is because I go to Cedar Point and Kings Island plus Worlds of Fun save me money for dining and parking. I'm going to Cedar Point and Kings Island for two weeks in July. I will say I'm not planning to go as much in 2016 like this year because like everyone else I have been waiting for a B&M inverted for Valleyfair for years now when they do get one if they do I will be at the park every day and every weekend plus I will be one happy person when they get one and I still want a Frisebee like a max air that will be one of the best thrill rides the park would have.

I have been a loyal season pass holder with Valleyfair since 1996 when Wild Thing opened up and will continue to renew my pass but the only reason I renew my platinum pass and the fine dining to every year is because I go to Cedar Point and Kings Island plus Worlds of Fun save me money for dining and parking. I'm going to Cedar Point and Kings Island for two weeks in July. I will say I'm not planning to go as much in 2016 like this year because like everyone else I have been waiting for a B&M inverted for Valleyfair for years now when they do get one if they do I will be at the park every day and every weekend plus I will be one happy person when they get one and I still want a Frisebee like a max air that will be one of the best thrill rides the park would have.

In your dreams..

B&M sells very expensive coasters. Four Renegades could be built for what Banshee cost. Not that I wouldn't love every park to build a B&M invert at some point, especially VF who deserves a good coaster to a kind of "meh" lineup, but because of how CF operates. The largest parks will get the largest investments, and sadly VF is lower on the chain.

Lately they have been afraid to try new models, and have been sticking with the cookie cutter layouts and models proven to work. It's not exactly a bad thing, but there's so many models I wish that they would give a shot, especially the smaller parks.

Power Tower had long long all night tonight, even after the huge crowds dispersed after 10:00 or so, so I didn't ride it again, but Wild Thing was running three trains and had very little wait.

The "No Boo" necklaces had enough battery to last most of two nights (I shut it off if I was in long lines). If you buy replacement batteries at a local store (they take six AG13 watch batteries) they cost more than the necklace, but I found you can order them online for $2 for a 10 pack. I observed some monsters be polite and friendly to people wearing "immunity idols", some trash talking them, but most were simply ignored. I saw about a half dozen people in line for the mazes with them, so I don't know if they didn't turn them off or pocket them, or if they were trying to get through the mazes with immunity. Worlds of Fun makes it clear they aren't valid in the mazes, so I would suggest Valleyfair also make it clear.

Riptide was running sans water, and Steel Venom was down.

Is the haunt really that busy on for them to run three trains on Wild Thing and not the Fourth of July? They have the staff to run all three trains? I thought they were only going to run two trains all season. How are the lines for Renegade running two trains all day and is Power Tower running all three towers? I'm going on Halloween and the last day of the season on Sunday.

Edited by Lightning Rod

^^^ That was it then. I didn't see the third train sitting there so I assumed they were running it. And it was almost a walk-on late at night so I didn't see operations for a long time

Lines for Renegade were absolutely nuts even with two trains (extending back well into the switchback queue), earlier in the night. Later I cam back around 11 and they had tapered down to merely long "typical" so I rode it. Power tower was long all night (was only running 1 tower, at least when I rode it Friday). Think I may have seen Captain Unknown if he was working there. Corkscrew was outrageous when I first got there- running 1 train and took 4 ride cycle to get one, but I rode it since I missed it Friday. Steel Venom was closed and didn't check High Roller. Extreme Swing was long but not outrageous early in the night, almost a Walk-on after people seemed to desert the park en-masse around 10:30.

And yes, I had the same reaction "What the .... are you doing taking a necklace into the mazes". It wasn't a lot (but then again I didn't stand in line for any of the mazes so it was just the people I saw walking past). Three teenage girls, and two ten-year olds together with ther family. I guess Hanlon's Razor- never explain by malice what can be explained by incompetence" applies, I think they were just being stupid or forgetful rather than wanting to mess with the monsters (and probably ruining the experience for the people next to them) Like I said it would be a good thing to clarify the policy, maybe something they didn't really think of their first year. WOF has it listed in the FAQ on their web site. They could just have a "Not Valid in Asylum, Zombie High... etc" on the signs where they sell them, or have the hosts say something like "you're silly necklace will not save you here, enter if you still dare" (or maybe the hosts did, I wasn't close enough to hear.)

MRVR is now down to four coaches, instead of the usual five, making it pretty full when it gets busy. The fifth one is sitting just past south station, so if you ride you can see it. I also finished learning Engineer! Didn't get to use the whistle since a certain someone broke it taking off their sweatshirt.

Riptides fountains have been adjusted so that they are on, but stay at the same level, so no wetness. Boo...

My visit Saturday was a blast! I arrived around noon and left about 7:30, didn't catch much haunt stuff, but the haunt really doesn't excite me anyway. I've done the haunt thing at VF and WOF three times over the last five-six years, so I didn't mind missing out on the haunt. I ended up going with some relatives, including a 5 year old, and you really do realize how much you appreciate all the investments they have done with Planet Snoopy and Route 76 the last few years when you have a young child along. We tried High Roller with the 5 year old and it was still just a tad too scary for her. She is very tall for her age, so while she makes the height requirement, she still is very young, so maybe next year she'll be psychologically able to ride the coasters just fine. Due to this I didn't get as many rides on the roller coasters as I'd like, but it was a good switch up taking the 5 year old on all the smaller rides for the first time! Every coaster enthusiast should have to take a small child to a park for an afternoon!

Every coaster was running one train, besides Wild Thing, running two. Lines were not bad, but were a little slow due to the one train operations and limited staff, so that's understandable. I think the longest wait was 20 minutes (4-5 cycles) for Renegade during the day. If they were running two trains on each coaster though, trains would have been half empty, so they really weren't needed. My first ride on Wild Thing, there was about 10 people waiting in the station and 6 of them were waiting for the front seat. Steel Venom was down, which was unfortunate. Watched a few test runs and it kept misfiring every other time. I've seen it act up like that before, so I didn't give it any hope of opening at all the rest of the time I was there.

The park looked great! It might have been since 2012 since I've visited and the park looked much more visually appealing than I remember. I've opted for WOF the last couple years. Renegade is still underrated in my eyes, I prefer Renegade over Prowler by a slight margin. I still prefer Mamba to Wild Thing by a mile, as I feel Wild Thing "coasts" a little too much during its turn around. Wish we had something I could compare to Patriot.. Northern Lights was way better than I thought it would be, so that was a nice surprise. Another thing I noticed and already knew: Dinosaur's Alive is such a waste of a TON of space...

I'll probably end up going again next year, as my relatives loved it! The new slide complex looked incredible so I'll have to check it out during the summer next year. We came to the conclusion the last time they visited were 2003 and 2005 based on the rides they remembered being there, so it's good to know my useless knowledge of Valleyfair history was actually useful for something. It was the five-year-olds first time visiting and if the haunt scarers didn't start coming out I don't think we would have ever convinced her to leave...

Perfect day, weather and everything, 10/10! All the negatives can suck one!

Why are the lines long during the haunt and not during the regular season?

A combo of low staffing and the fact that it's the biggest money earning time of the year. The highest attendance day was a haunt Satruday last year with the highest attendance number of the year in the park.

Edited by Meghna

^Just a suggestion- Don't post attendance numbers. That's not public info, and most parks don't want employees sharing it.

And yeah, haunt is one of the busiest times of year for a lot of parks. It also feels busier because the entire day's attendees are in the park all at the same time (on Fridays, and most of them at the same time on Saturdays).

Edited by dippindotsguy8

I'm assuming they'll turn the water torture back up next summer. As fun as it is to watch people get it, most have enough common sense not to get wet on an October night so a lot more people (including me) would make use of it.

I was also wondering about the early ride entry's for gold season pass holders. Does the park open half hour early on weekends at 10:30am before 11:00am on Saturday's and Sunday's? What is open for early rides in September? I'm planning to go this weekend as well.

I asked this before and I don't think anyone answered. When is the Xtreme waterparks airing witht he blue slides? They announced it in May and then never mentioned it again on twitter or facebook. Is that even happening any more? I thought they filmed it in June.

I asked this before and I don't think anyone answered. When is the Xtreme waterparks airing witht he blue slides? They announced it in May and then never mentioned it again on twitter or facebook. Is that even happening any more? I thought they filmed it in June.

I checked the list of all the Xtreme Waterparks episodes that aired recently on the Travel Channel website, and none of the episode descriptions mention or hinted at Valleyfair's waterslides. Maybe it's not showing until next summer (or whenever the next season of the show starts)?

I checked the list of all the Xtreme Waterparks episodes that aired recently on the Travel Channel website, and none of the episode descriptions mention or hinted at Valleyfair's waterslides. Maybe it's not showing until next summer (or whenever the next season of the show starts)?

I know, I taped them all as soon as they announced it on twitter (and watched them all in disappointment). I figured it might be airing next summer but they played one from the east coast that just opened up in May 2015 (so obviously it doesn't take that long from filming to airing), so I figured VF's would be on there. Weird. I wonder if they decided not to air it as I asked vf several times and have seen other people ask on twitter and they just ignore it and never answer.

This has been discussed before. One thing I'm wishing for is the enterprise to get a new paint job and some refurbishing done on it this off season. The enterprise with new paint and a new que line would look nice by the Larson Flyers.

Edited by Lightning Rod