TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Alright, time for a poll. How many of you will not be returning to the park until they build a new coaster? Only answer if you're serious.

I won't be. I have only gone once in the last three years, and that was because I had 3 hours to kill prior to my Cedar Fair trip (might as well add in the local park!)

My family has had season passes now for 6 consecutive years. My daughters, now 10 & 12, have faced, conquered, and are now bored with everything Valleyfair has. While we still enjoy occasionally riding almost any ride, we are all at a point where we need something big, fast, or tall to grab our attention. There are quite a few other families that we've gone and met up with over the years who are at the same place as us. The natural evolution of making Valleyfair a summer home for years and years has us all wanting to be able to enjoy the same rides that pretty much everyone else gets to. We have a merry-go-round, we have a woodie coaster, a ferris wheel, water slides, and all the classic elements of most theme parks except for an inverted coaster. Which, in the modern era, is about as typical as the ferris wheel and carousel of yesterday. We don't need a new one every couple years, and it doesn't have to hold any records for fastest, tallest or anything. I'd be fine with one that was removed from a flagship park to make room for a new one there. I'm getting really tired of being accused of "needing a new coaster ever couple years", or being told that VF is NOT a coaster-capital park when I write about my disappoint here. But whatever. I do hope Valleyfair does well. And I hope they eventually decide that Minnesotans are worthy of what they allow guests of every other Cedar Fair, Six Flags, and practically every other park has. I'd love to know what people are talking about when they describe the feeling of standing or hanging on a ride that cruises all over the park. I've never ridden an inverted coaster - like most coaster lovers out there have. I've pretty much just visited MY park in MY hometown. I'll certainly come back if that finally happens, but I've been loyal, I've waited, and now I'm done.

Dont waste your money this year,on haunt. its horrible. the mazes were a joke... no actors in any of them.. chateau granted it had a brand new building it was basically the same layout as couple years ago.hell side no actors . long. and the last two rooms were filled with so much fog you could not see let alone breath. .humane what the ... seriously lets just sit their in chairs and do nothing..biggest pile of crap...heck the protesters at the beginning were txting on there phones..London ok now this one has the chance of being good. if they filled up the whole picnic grove structure. instead only half the building... and whats with the dang birds..zombie high. was totally impressed they did a huge 360 on this one.. amazing props . good pacing. but once again NO actors..asylum still the same like every year...now i was going talk about the scare zones but whats the point. when you walk threw blood creek and one actor is standing their EATING...i spent more time in blood suckers getting drunk then walking threw the ridiculous mazes....but who wants to pay 9 dollars for a beer. are you kidding me...that is not going to last. just watch.granted i know it was opening night. but what the heck..its like valleyfair gave up this year...on everything..no actors in any of the mazes. the mazes seemed like they just threw them together at the last minute. they were not scary at all..and it was PACKED..plus with this whole thing i heard about someone getting punched in line for the mazes,like really....with the annoying teenagers every were..i left at like 10:30..i was ready to deck some one too.do not waste your time or money here this year..i rather drive the 35 minutes and go to screamtown or dead end hayride .were you get your moneys worth. and is actually worth it...you want scary go there.it is exactly why i have been going their for the last 5 years instead of valleyscare. now i know why...this is whats suppose to be keeping valleyfair a float ! ha. no wounder the park is the lowest in the chain. the park is pathetic . period.

Dont waste your money this year,on haunt. its horrible. the mazes were a joke... no actors in any of them.. chateau granted it had a brand new building it was basically the same layout as couple years ago.hell side no actors . long. and the last two rooms were filled with so much fog you could not see let alone breath. .humane what the ... seriously lets just sit their in chairs and do nothing..biggest pile of crap...heck the protesters at the beginning were txting on there phones..London ok now this one has the chance of being good. if they filled up the whole picnic grove structure. instead only half the building... and whats with the dang birds..zombie high. was totally impressed they did a huge 360 on this one.. amazing props . good pacing. but once again NO actors..asylum still the same like every year...now i was going talk about the scare zones but whats the point. when you walk threw blood creek and one actor is standing their EATING...i spent more time in blood suckers getting drunk then walking threw the ridiculous mazes....but who wants to pay 9 dollars for a beer. are you kidding me...that is not going to last. just watch.granted i know it was opening night. but what the heck..its like valleyfair gave up this year...on everything..no actors in any of the mazes. the mazes seemed like they just threw them together at the last minute. they were not scary at all..and it was PACKED..plus with this whole thing i heard about someone getting punched in line for the mazes,like really....with the annoying teenagers every were..i left at like 10:30..i was ready to deck some one too.do not waste your time or money here this year..i rather drive the 35 minutes and go to screamtown or dead end hayride .were you get your moneys worth. and is actually worth it...you want scary go there.it is exactly why i have been going their for the last 5 years instead of valleyscare. now i know why...this is whats suppose to be keeping valleyfair a float ! ha. no wounder the park is the lowest in the chain. the park is pathetic . period.

I'm sorry but this whole post was very hard to read. Please use proper grammar and punctuation.

So, on Friday night I went and will share some impressions. First, I went on only 5 of the 6 mazes, as we neglected to do Zombie High.

We entered the park and turned right at Monster to go back to Humane Habitat. I was immediately annoyed by a shrill voice repeating into a megaphone, "Keep humans, human." I was okay once we bypassed her and the bus and the exhortations to not enter. We entered the shacks and it was not very disturbing. The continuity was lost by having the sixty feet between small buildings.

Next, we went to London Terror, which I found much more entertaining. The bird costumes don't bother me much, but I will also admit I hold Eyes Wide Shut in high regard. There did seem to be a lack of actors at certain points, but still a huge step up from Humane Habitat.

Next, we waited in our longest line for Mangler's Asylum. It was also pretty standard and I don't recall being spooked by this particular attraction. It seemed bent on gore and there was not much in the way of surprises inside.

Mr. Cleaver's Bloodshed was probably my favorite maze due to the entrance having an actor with personality, as well as some nice elements inside, including a burly butcher at the end chasewalking my wife at the end forty feet out of the building.

Chateau was the biggest disappointment to me, due to the new building and the wait. I remember thinking it looked nice and new and I was able to focus on the details, because there wasn't much going on inside.

Hellside Farm should have been the best attraction and it started out well with getting chased, but then there were hardly any actors inside. We did at least four turns at one point without being accosted.

As to the linecutting, I had to stop two teenagers and ask them what they thought they were doing. They said fast pass. I said the fast pass lane is on the other side of the gate and they settled in behind me, which I still thought was bogus. There was an assault while I was there and there is something about the event that strikes me as off putting. At Hellside Farm, this jerk burped loudly in the face of the attendant and then started chesting up to him and saying this was all b.s. and not scary. It just seemed that there were a lot of peckerheads at the park that night, but maybe I went on a bad night.

We're so enraged by the disgustingly small 2016 addition, that we're considering not going back until they get something more than ONE flat ride. Even if it's not a coaster . I mean COME ON, a SINGLE flat ride for their 40th anniversary?! Yes we have gotten 'one single' flat ride before, on our 30th anniversary, but I'm very sure xtreme swing is far more expensive than this.

I don't know about anyone else, but isn't it interesting how they got Renegade one year after their 30th? Maybe they will repeat that and get one for 2017?!

I'm getting really tired of being accused of "needing a new coaster ever couple years", or being told that VF is NOT a coaster-capital park when I write about my disappoint here. But whatever.

Me too, along with the line, "They are adding additions for families because they spend more money.". But like you point out with your family, you have a 10 and 12 year old who both like to ride coasters and so do other families that you have visited the park with. I see the same thing when I visit the park. I first rode High Roller at age 9 so roller coasters are for families too. It is like they think you have to be an adult to enjoy or ride a roller coaster.

I'll certainly come back if that finally happens, but I've been loyal, I've waited, and now I'm done.

I think this line really captures the feeling that some of us who have had season passes from 2010 or earlier.

Not so sure building a new amphitheater there is the best idea. Performers in the old amphitheater didn't like being right next to Wild Thing's loud brake run, so won't the new one have the same problem?

What if they now just always had the trims off?

Not so sure building a new amphitheater there is the best idea. Performers in the old amphitheater didn't like being right next to Wild Thing's loud brake run, so won't the new one have the same problem?

What if they now just always had the trims off?

If only that were true!

I'm betting the brakes won't affect a stunt show like they would a musical performance.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the amphitheater. It didn't take them long to tear it down. Guess remodeling is out and that goes with what I was told. The stunt bike show won't be affected by the MCBR on Wild Thing. I don't see any musical acts coming to use it.

I just need to say something about 2016. This just keeps going through my brain. The 2016 capital improvement will be one of the lowest expenditures in the last 8 or 9 years. I would even say that some of our "general improvement" years saw more money being put into the park. Let's dwell on that for a bit. I don't say that to depress anyone more than they already are but think for a minute. Valleyfair in the last 4 or 5 years has sunk $20 million or more into the park and then all of the sudden, on our 40th anniversary, BAM. A flyer can't cost more than $400,000 (probably high), and changes to the amphitheater and show are maybe 1.2 to 1.6 million. So we are looking at less than $2,000,000 for 2016. The average for the last 5 years has been somewhere around $6,000,000/yr. 2016 goes against the trend of the last 5 years. What am I saying? Isn't it possible that Cedar Fair is positioning Valleyfair for bigger things to come? It is not uncommon for any park to greatly scale back improvements for one or two year to focus on a very large expansion on year two or three. Mr. Frazier told me that the park has done extremely well this year. The weather was good and people responded to the Soak City addition. The last thing we need right now is stop going cause we didn't get a coaster. Lets not treat our home park like a thin skinned Vikings Fan!

And now the big question: with a newly built ampitheatre and no musical acts wanting to play there with Wild Thing's MCBR, after the 2016 season, since I doubt that the stunt show will stay for multiple years, what to do with it next? With Garyman's above prediction on the price tag, could this just be a one-season thing since it's so low?

And now the big question: with a newly built ampitheatre and no musical acts wanting to play there with Wild Thing's MCBR, after the 2016 season, since I doubt that the stunt show will stay for multiple years, what to do with it next? With Garyman's above prediction on the price tag, could this just be a one-season thing since it's so low?

Idk, but All Wheels Extreme has been at CP for like 7 years.