TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Valleyfair Celebrates 40 Years of Fun in 2016 With New Attractions For Thrill-seekers Of All Ages!

Next year, Valleyfair will mark its 40th anniversary with a season-long celebration that includes the return of an original park favorite and the renovation of a popular entertainment venue to feature an all-new extreme sports show. Throwback-inspired events and parties will also be part of the line-up as the park celebrates their legacy and heritage in the Twin Cities market.

Time To Earn Your Wings! A Valleyfair original makes its return in 2016! Guests will have a chance to earn their wings as the park reintroduces the Flying Eagles. Part of the park's original ride package in 1976, the Flying Eagles will once again become a family favorite for parents and children alike.

The planes will glide 28 feet above the ground and allow each rider to uniquely control their flight experience. The Flying Eagles will be nested between Route 76 and Enterprise.

New Venue Makes Way For New Entertainment - Valleyfair's outdoor amphitheater has played host to a number of well-known artists over the past forty years. Starting this fall, the space will undergo a complete renovation for future events including an all-new extreme sports show in 2016.

All Wheels Extreme, a finalist on NBC's hit show "America's Got Talent" brings its high-flying extreme sports show to Valleyfair. The show will feature some of the top professional inline skaters, skateboarders and BMX bicycle performers in the world. Dancers, trampoline artists and aerialists add a theatrical element to create a one of a kind production that will excite audiences of all ages.

“During the past four decades, Valleyfair has been a wonderful way to bring people together, connect generations and create memories that will last a lifetime,” said Dave Frazier, Vice President and General Manager of Valleyfair. “The 2016 season will serve as a great opportunity for guests to recreate some of those shared moments and make some new ones along the way.”

Valleyfair will open for its 40th season on Friday, May 13.

Experience Valleyfair in a whole new way with a 2016 Season Pass, on sale now for the lowest price of the season. Enjoy exclusive benefits such as unlimited visits including ValleySCARE and Soak City Waterpark, free parking, early entry to the park, discounts on food and merchandise, special offers and more!

https://www.valleyfair.com/what-s-new/new-for-2016/?mobile=0

1730883364_VF_Event20Header_940x338_40th1.jpg.0cb74ab6c29e589e871a655f79be44da.jpg

Edited by VF15

Exactly what I was expecting to the T. Well, I didn't predict All Wheels Extreme but I was under the impression that the amphitheater would be renovated and not completely torn down.

I think this is good for the park. Flyers are awesome and its a nice "throw back" for the 40th.

Personally, I'm satisfied with this announcement. No, it's not a huge addition, but it does bring back an old ride from the park's early years that's starting to become rather popular again, and I've never ridden Flying Scooters before, so I'm looking forward to trying them out for myself.

Yeah I agree its pretty disappointing. Do we really need a place for live shows? At Cedar Point they got rid of their Amphitheater and I mean you would think the galaxy theater is a great spot for those. Also, the video on the Valleyfair page is private so I couldn't view it for their 40th.

Wahh Wahhh Wahhhhhhh...

Sounds like Flying Eagles will take the old Chaos spot. Should fit in with the Route 76 theme just fine.

With the rumor of a huge water park expansion/new entrance/new parking lot in the next couple years, smaller, cheaper additions like this were to be expected. I've said it once and I'll say it again, don't get your hopes up for roller coaster for at least 5 years. It's obvious the water park is the main focus in the near future! It does NOT matter how long the coaster drought has been..

Can't be mad at today's announcement though. Something needed to be done with the Amphitheater and another ride to draw people down the Route 76 pathway is always a plus. Two more needs checked off the list..

Yeah I agree its pretty disappointing. Do we really need a place for live shows? At Cedar Point they got rid of their Amphitheater and I mean you would think the galaxy theater is a great spot for those. Also, the video on the Valleyfair page is private so I couldn't view it for their 40th.

No, they got rid of the Good Time Theater, which was a former IMAX Movie Theater. It hosted a really good ice-skating show in recent years but was ultimately torn down because of the old structure itself. The old Oceana Stadium (which hosted the old dolphin shows) is where All-Wheels Extreme is held at Cedar Point.

In addition, even though the Good Time Theater is gone, CP has lots of places for live entertainment. This is something I am glad the smaller parks are now starting to pick up!

And some of you thought the delay meant we were getting a coaster

I'm a but surprised and disappointed by the amphitheater portion of the announcement, but it is what it is at this point. I would've loved an actual demo and new ride there because Enterprise will always be my baby and it could use a new ride by it (from a team perspective). If the show is anything like the one at CP this year, everyone is in for a treat.

Now the real question is where the heck the Eagles will go.

The expected Flyers are a nice addition! They will fit in perfect in that area and bring a classic ride back to the park.

As far as the, " Starting this fall, the space will undergo a complete renovation for future events including an all-new extreme sports show in 2016." it strikes me as pretty lame for my first impression/reaction. I will have to wait and see what it is all about though before passing final judgement. All that prime space is going to be used for this? I admit I am disappointed with the decision to use it that way. And they delayed the announcement for this?

I guess it'll be another summer of trips to other parks with attractions that better satisfy me (and perhaps my demographic).

That is the VF motto for local thrill seekers! As usual, buy a Platinum Pass instead of a Gold one because if you want something new or thrilling you are going to have to travel. At least Adventureland is somewhat close and their new coaster Monster for next year looks fun and may even be more thrilling than anything VF has so we shall see.

I guess it'll be another summer of trips to other parks with attractions that better satisfy me (and perhaps my demographic).

That is the VF motto for local thrill seekers! As usual, buy a Platinum Pass instead of a Gold one because if you want something new or thrilling you are going to have to travel. At least Adventureland is somewhat close and their new coaster Monster for next year looks fun and may even be more thrilling than anything VF has so we shall see.

Yes that's a great point! I'd much rather spend the money (and take in the constant smell of cow poop for 2 hours) to go down to Adventureland next summer. Also, for any waterpark craving I may have, I still consider Waterpark of America superior. I could also just jump in the car for 3 hours and head out east to the Dells.

Bottom line, I'm more excited for the Chance revolution at MOA next summer.

The complaints are strong with this thread.

Flying Eagles are really fun attractions for the whole family, so that's a great addition. All Wheels Extreme is also a really cool show, so that's also a nice one. Anyone who was actually expecting a coaster this year probably needed to come back to reality. Maybe next year, maybe the year after that, who knows. At least they are taking care of a spot that's needed refurbishment for years.

The complaints are strong with this thread.

Flying Eagles are really fun attractions for the whole family, so that's a great addition. All Wheels Extreme is also a really cool show, so that's also a nice one. Anyone who was actually expecting a coaster this year probably needed to come back to reality. Maybe next year, maybe the year after that, who knows. At least they are taking care of a spot that's needed refurbishment for years.

See...I agree with you, but I think it's poor business logic for the park to take the stand of "come back to reality" and to accept "maybe next year" after a rather long drought of dry, high-thrill rides. Really, I'm not trying to come across as an expert here, but I do know that a significant amount of VF attendance each year comes from group sales. The MSP metro has a significant amount of large corporate offices. Having new, exciting additions to talk-up really helps with that process.

I know VF is near the bottom of the CF milkshake, but maybe sometimes in this industry you have to spend big(ger) to earn big. I'm not sure of the park's numbers back in the mid-90's, but perhaps the Wild Thing investment was seen as a risk at the time...and that investment arguably put VF on the proverbial map. Just some food for thought.

ooooo this is gonna be good. i can see the look on daves face now.. should had built the new coaster.. all the feedback people are gonna post... yep def over VF!! done...

Oh, these final decisions are above Dave, btw.

Edited by Looty