TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

jmillzy: I'm not over estimating the wait times. The park was very busy today with one train running on Excalibur it can have a one hour wait time on a busy day. Reading some of your posts seems like you like to go after people how about not go after people.

Made my trip to the park finally. I'll post a more in-depth trip report later.

I liked it a lot with some minimal disappointments, including not being able to ride Renegade due to my ass size, but surprisingly I did get to ride Steel Venom as i tend to have trouble with Wicked Twister.

Some initial thoughts:

- Liked Corkscrew much more than Cedar Points. Very good in the back.

- Love the 70's infrastructure with the Super Cat and Carousel and the chandeliers in the shops and the entrance area

- Loved, Love, Loved Excalibur... glad I was able to experience it... da-dada-daaaaa!

- the dead ends at each end of the park became a bit annoying

- Very sad to miss the train. It was down all day

- Liked Wild thing and High Roller

- Park didn't have the Cedar Fair feel as much, seemed more independent.

- Very disappointed with park merchandise

- No recycle bins (popping up at most cedar fair parks now)

I just had a fantastic day at the park! Thank you valleyfairfanatic for notifying me that the commercial shoot was happening! I got at least 10 rides on Wild Thing, and I got 4 on Power Tower!

I'm ready to do it again tomorrow at Renegade at Extreme Swing!

Any other TPR members going tomorrow for the commercial shoot?

I was at the commercial shoot to! what where you wearing?

I was around from 10-3 today. Crowds started very minimal, but by noon the park was packed. Rode some rides to look at Haunt stuff, walked a stroll with Street Beat (yay friends!), and went to the waterpark. All rides by noon had really decent sized lines. In Soak City I noticed some yellow and white paint all over the sidewalks, some with "exit" and whatnot- not sure what it's about since I haven't been to SC this season until today (is there a Haunt attraction going back there?). Such a busy Saturday!
That's probably the Hellside layout

- Loved, Love, Loved Excalibur... glad I was able to experience it... da-dada-daaaaa!

I'm starting to think that Excalibur must have a generational appeal. While I have no love for it, my mother of all people finds it great! Weird.

Agree about the dead ends of the park. Not much that can be done about it...maybe a chairlift?

I'm starting to think that Excalibur must have a generational appeal. While I have no love for it, my mother of all people finds it great! Weird.

Agree about the dead ends of the park. Not much that can be done about it...maybe a chairlift?

You know what really closed the deal for me on it? There are two spots where it launches you out of your seat and pulls you down—on e to the right, and one to the left—and this is almost exactly like the Raven at Holiday World. So that's why it hit home.. I love Raven, and it felt like it.

I just had a fantastic day at the park! Thank you valleyfairfanatic for notifying me that the commercial shoot was happening! I got at least 10 rides on Wild Thing, and I got 4 on Power Tower!

Bright red shirt and jeans. I was mostly riding with a guy with a neon orange shirt on Saturday.

I like Excalibur, it has one very strong moment of air that makes the whole ride worthwhile.

About the generational thing, I enjoy it, and I'm a younger member. My dad would rather have it be a parking lot than Excalibur, and when I was there with a bunch of friends on Friday, let's just say that no one wanted a re-ride...

I think Excalibur is just an 'okay' ride. The left-banked turn after the turnaround is rather forceful (occasionally causes partial greyouts), and the pop of ejector air that follows is nice, but besides those parts, it's a pretty average ride. If Excalibur ends up getting removed after the 2016 season (right now, all signs are pointing to Excalibur staying another year), I probably won't miss it that much.

I think Excalibur is just an 'okay' ride. The left-banked turn after the turnaround is rather forceful (occasionally causes partial greyouts), and the pop of ejector air that follows is nice, but besides those parts, it's a pretty average ride. If Excalibur ends up getting removed after the 2016 season (right now, all signs are pointing to Excalibur staying another year), I probably won't miss it that much.

Yes, the hard left turn was my least favorite part, it felt as though they could have taken that under the above track, done a banked horseshoe, and continued with the rest. Not sure when it will be gone, but I heard from several employees that the rumors are strong that it's leaving, just nobody knows when, and that's all it is right now, rumors. I personally think that it will close this year or by July next year.

I liked it a lot with some minimal disappointments, including not being able to ride Renegade due to my A$$ size, but surprisingly I did get to ride Steel Venom as i tend to have trouble with Wicked Twister.

Bummer. Renegade is by far the best coaster in the park and it isn't even close. Maybe next time. Glad you made it on SV though.

Liked Corkscrew much more than Cedar Points. Very good in the back.

For a 35 year old CS the VF maintenance crew keep it running pretty well. Got to give them credit on that.

Loved, Love, Loved Excalibur... glad I was able to experience it... da-dada-daaaaa!

You sick bastard! Happy you had a good time on it though.

Love the 70's infrastructure with the Super Cat and Carousel and the chandeliers in the shops and the entrance area.

I love the 70's infrastructure too but that stuff is slowly disappearing as the park updates different area's and adds attractions. One thing you missed was the 'Disco Ball' fountain at the entrance that left after the 2011 Camp Snoopy remodel and was replaced with the new Snoopy fountain. The photo below is what it looked like.

1277062646_DiscoBall.jpg.4849d6cc6ccc292cec1bb3f6ed0a1695.jpg

The 'Disco Ball' fountain which was at the VF entrance from 1976 to 2010.

I was there to!Only for the renegade day. I wore a green shirt. In the photo on Facebook/Twitter I'm in the front seat. I have been reading these message boards for years but never had an account until I did that. I wondered if anyone was there who is on this thread.

I went to the park for the first time since Renagade's opening season on sunday. I must say the park looks great up until wheel of fortune, from there the park just looks meh. Renagade was much better than I remember it being. Also to me Excalibur is easily the second best coaster in the park. It has airtime and fast curves which neither high roller or wild thing (no airtime but fast corner) have. The only thing I enjoyed about wild thing and high roller was looking at all the Halloween deco they have back in the staging areas.

Now time for the downside of the park, the morning operations are terrible. If you plan on getting there early for some short lines on the coasters you will be highly disappointed. Only wild thing and mad mouse run multiple trains. High roller had about 20 minute wait due to one train operations. I ended up waiting an hour for Renagade due to one train operation with the line reaching the switchback area. Also they really need to add more shade and/or fans in Renagade queue. Corkscrew was manageable due to me getting on one of the first trains. The last issue I had was with cedar fair and not Valleyfair, funtv has way too many advertisements for the amount of content they have.

I feel like this park is really starting to look great, but I feel that if they remove Excalibur that the quality of their ccoasters will really suffer. I really hope that they will look at beginning the days with multiple train operations, at least on the weekends. To me it is the most irritating thing when parks operate coasters at reduced capacities to create lines.

I really hope that they will look at beginning the days with multiple train operations, at least on the weekends. To me it is the most irritating thing when parks operate coasters at reduced capacities to create lines.

They aren't doing it on purpose, coasters aren't businesses. It in no way benefits efficiency, if anything a decent line makes them go faster? (Wait, maybe they're doing one train to create a line to give the ops more motivation, yeah )

I Also to me Excalibur is easily the second best coaster in the park. It has airtime and fast curves which neither high roller or wild thing (no airtime but fast corner) have.

Really? No airtime on Wild Thing? Did you actually go over the the first hill? If so you might want to try the front car then if you didn't get any air from any of the other seats.

No airtime on the wild thing!? "The train then enters a 103 ft (31.4m) parabolic hill, resulting in the longest low gravity section of any coaster in the world." They still claim that to be true. So, I don't know where you were sitting. I do enjoy the Excalibur though, and will be sad to see it go (assuming it does).

No airtime on the wild thing!? "The train then enters a 103 ft (31.4m) parabolic hill, resulting in the longest low gravity section of any coaster in the world." They still claim that to be true. So, I don't know where you were sitting. I do enjoy the Excalibur though, and will be sad to see it go (assuming it does).

Just because it's the "longest" low gravity section doesn't mean it has strong airtime. In fact it's just the opposite. Since it attempts to sustain for so long, the hill is very shallow and drawn out, resulting in very weak airtime.

Just because it's the "longest" low gravity section doesn't mean it has strong airtime. In fact it's just the opposite. Since it attempts to sustain for so long, the hill is very shallow and drawn out, resulting in very weak airtime.

I'll agree to disagree. I think the airtime is strong on the Wild Thing.

I'll agree to disagree. I think the airtime is strong on the Wild Thing.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. Ive never ridden Wild Thing, I was just explaining why just because the airtime hill is really long doesn't necessarily mean it has strong airtime, which can justify others arguing it has weak airtime.

Low gravity =/= negative G's.

I've learned from this forum that Wild Thing is a divisive ride. Some people love it, others are underwhelmed.

I find it underwhelming, but that is because I always compare it to Superman: Ride of Steel (the SFA version), and that's just unfair given that one's an Intamin and the other is not.

...the heavy use of MCBR on Wild Thing certainly doesn't do it any favors.